McLux gets Vipped

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
I traded some stuff for a McLux almost 2yrs ago - thanks Darell!!

Anyhow, the McLux has been my wife's EDC - she just likes the look & feel of that classic light. Of course it has been showing its age with the original LD Luxeon and BB driver.

Finally in a fit of boredom (after getting permission) I gutted the original stuff out of it (took a bit of work since it was all potted). In went a TYAH Lux3 and a VIP driver detuned to 440mA. I was extremely pleased with the fit - the VIP driver went it PERFECTLY as if it was designed to. Even the LED+ and LED- holes lined up perfectly with the two holes that feed through to the Luxeon side.

I had a spare S017XA reflector from my VIP (BH installed) and that went into the McLux.

A couple of tritium vials that were a PERFECT tight fit (just a dab of epoxy to secure/protect them) slipped into one of the grooves in the head and all was done.

Result, way more light output, nice S017XA beam and about 50% less current draw from the same 123 - care of the H bin Lux3 and the more efficient VIP driver.

Unfortunately I was having way too much fun putting it all together and being pleasantly surprised how well all the bits were just fitting together that I didn't get any pics of the buildup. But here's a few pics of the finished result.

mc1.jpg

mc2.jpg

mc3.jpg

george.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
The TYAH & SO17XA is an awsome boost compare to stock.

The Question then becomes, is it dimmable? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I was really pleased (and more importantly, my wife was happy) with the way it all turned out. Only took a couple of hours from starting the gutting process to having the finished light done.

Modamag - no dimming here - I'm not drilling any holes etc into that classic light!

george.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
George, after you finished the work was it hard to give it back to her? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Paul

Kiessling

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not drilling any holes etc into that classic light!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... I like that quote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The original McLux is still a monument of beauty. Although the retrofit you did is very tempting ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bernie

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Hey! What kinda pics izzat? It still looks the same...

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case the new found (additional) beauty emanates from within... The rest radiates from the tritium vials /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

george.