Great deal: Opalec Newbeam

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Tried to order but they wanted to charge $52 to ship to the UK!, they specificaly state they don't post overseas for some reason.
Mark

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
Darn you guys...just the thing to put me over the edge. I'd been waiting for the right moment to get the Streamlight Propolymer luxeon 4AA, and a UK4AA eLed to replace one I gave my mom. Oh, and I also took a flyer on the Lightwave Tec2000 for $15 -- anyone know anything about that one?

AvroArrow

Enlightened
mindstretch, I'd split one with you, but they only ship via UPS for international. UPS is infamous for outrageous brokerage fees. I once ordered $40 worth of CDs from the US and was charged a $20 brokerage fee on top of the GST & PST. I ended up paying an additional 65% of the value of the CDs to get them shipped here. Totally not worth it at that point. Otherwise this would be an awesome deal.

segan

Newly Enlightened
opalec newbeam is tops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif i actually use my minimag now.

What is with the crazy postage costs? I ordered one last year from pocketlights.com and the postage was USD$5.30 from USA to Australia.

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Hi Doug
I've used the 7dayshop for two newbeams and some Lithium AA's for the minimax2, they seem to be reliable enough .. there also selling AA M@glites at £8.99 as well, which is what promted me to use them .. We certainly have a problem purchasing anything at sensible prices over here.
Mark

Grubbster

Enlightened
I got mine from Brightguy today. These are my first ones are they are very yellow in color. Almost amber! Is that the way they normally are or did I get a couple of bad ones? I am running them on BS lithium cells so they should be getting plenty of juice.

MrMom

Enlightened
Superb product!

The newbeam is my #2 go to light second only to Surefires L4. On the trail it's the right amount of light without toasting one's night vision. The #3 go to is Surefires KL1 - all throw, no spill ( yes, there are times that spill is detrimental to the task ).

I keep one at home in several rooms because the ole eyes aren't quite what they used to be.

Nearly ten hours in regulation on NiMh - Fantastic!

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad updating the LEDs to 26k's or the new Nichias would be so difficult (due to the potting).

Mark

MrMom

Enlightened
Grubb - never seen a yellow one. Something is wrong. It should be a cool HID white. Save the lithium for other uses. Don't trash your $. There is no advantage to using luthiums in these with the exception of very extended storage and extreme temperature use.

There are many threads here on how lithiums are put to waste in low drain devices.

I put premium gas in my lawn mower just to see the more expensive smoke (;-)

Grubbster

Enlightened
It's not a fair comparison. The MJLED has more spot with a soft spill and the Newbeam is almost all flood. That being said, the Opalec will light up a room better than the MJLED. The Opalec is almost identical in light as the PT Attitude if you are familiar with it.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the Opalec website:

"*The maximum voltage capability of the NewBeam has changed. We now build the NewBeam with either of two control circuits, which have different voltage ranges. One version will operate up to 8-9 Volts, although the LED current regulation begins to degrade above about 6 Volts. The other version only operates up to a little over 5 Volts, and then draws excessive current above about 6 Volts and will be damaged. You can tell the two apart by looking with a magnifier at the parts under the clear epoxy. If you see a rectangular silver colored part labeled "1B", you have the version which works above 5 volts. If you do not see this part, you have the lower voltage version. Again please be aware that we do not encourage use of the NewBeam above the standard 2 x 1.5 volts."

Bob

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Minjin said:
Too bad updating the LEDs to 26k's or the new Nichias would be so difficult (due to the potting).

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if Brightguy is clearing out their stock because Opalec is planning this very thing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif