just want a good light

powerfuldark

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif I already have enough hobbies. Between high end audio equipment, wine, marine aquaria, cameras, and Japanese kitchen knives (guess which is the most expensive), my plate is getting rather full, and I don't expect to make flashlights a full time hobby. Rather, I'm simply interested in acquiring a few pocketable, gem-like, ultra-cool devices to light my way and impress the great unwashed.
Of particular importance are diminutive size, rock solid construction, innovative design, and, of course, scary output.
So far, I've been looking at Peak LED Solutions, which seems to have a design philosophy in line with the aforementioned criteria. Their Matterhorns and McKinleys look like decent products, and I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to share any thoughts on these models, their competition, and small torches in general.
Thanks in advance.

scudinc

Enlightened
TnC lights are also a good choice, as would be anything from Orb. TnC lights can pretty much only be found on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, but they're worth the effort. In terms of design, though, nobody touches Orb (except maybe Inova). DSpeck's FireFlys (look in the DSpeck forum) are a good choice if size is a major factor.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, KI-Super, KI-T seems to fit the bill of COOL!, small, reeking of quality and super bright.

Welcome to cpf! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS lights may suit your needs.

IF you want an end all light killer, Surefire M6, I just got mine in the mail today. Brightest flashlight I own hands down, bests my Tigerlight in overall output.

Also the lights mentioned above. I liked the E1L but I gave it to my godfather.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
powerfuldark said:
...and I don't expect to make flashlights a full time hobby. Rather, I'm simply interested in acquiring a few pocketable, gem-like, ultra-cool devices to light my way and impress the great unwashed.
Of particular importance are diminutive size, rock solid construction, innovative design, and, of course, scary output.

[/ QUOTE ]

Famous last words!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Welcome to CPF!

powerfuldark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, leukos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Those were some good sites. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Looks as if I'll have to do a bit more research, at the very least.
Aw, gee- another hobby that's gonna cost me a bundle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

powerfuldark

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JasonC8301 said:IF you want an end all light killer, Surefire M6, I just got mine in the mail today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to appear ungracious, or, heaven forbid, rude, but as I did specifically mention pocketable,diminutive lights, allow me to offer the following, equally unrelated commentary-
It has been said that men often compensate for a lack of, well, you know, by buying enormous cars, boats, guitars, guns, etc. Although I've never heard of this being applied to flashlights, I'd have to say that if you find yourself having sufficient room in your pants pocket to allow for seven and three quarter inches of M6, then perhaps this is as good a time as any to start. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

No offense.

emrbrtn

Enlightened
Why not get a Nuwai Q-3? There have been some pretty good prices on ebay.

powerfuldark

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
scudinc said:
Could you give a specific price range you'd like to stay in? There are just so many choices that it's hard to name them all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Price really isn't a problem, insofar as that can ever be the case. I'm more concerned with quality, which is all the more impressive when expressed in truly small devices.
I noticed that nobody commented on the Peak LED Solution offerings. Should I read anything into that?

Jefff

Enlightened
yeah I was gonna say Q3 also .. wish they had them in HA III
coating though.. I love mine but can tell that as much as I use it the finish will start wearing .. but some may like that look.. and there is always a sharpie that can cover wear spots lol .. but suppersingly the finish is holding up alot better than my mag's

powerfuldark

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
emrbrtn said:
Why not get a Nuwai Q-3? There have been some pretty good prices on ebay.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Q-3 looks mighty rugged, I'll defer to you luminaries (no pun intended) as to output. Seems to be priced fairly, as well.
I should have mentioned this at the beginning, but although this concept may be anathema to the tech-heads here, I'd really prefer that my flashlight be beautiful . Perhaps that will help narrow the field.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. It's a bit more complicated that I had anticipated. Good thing I have a degree in physics, lol!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
"nobody commented on the Peak LED Solution offerings. Should I read anything into that?"

Probably. They are good lights, but nothing special.

You are after something special, something that reflects a finer appreciation of electromagnetic function. You seem to want something James-Bondish.

I would say limit the lights you look at to 1-cell lithiums that are made to order or at least off the beaten path. You probably want something more "nice" than "tactical," yet still extremely durable and useful. No edges that wreck nice clothes, clips that don't really match the body, etc.

You might even want to experiment with a few lights to find that high performance light that sets you apart. Maybe try a 1x123 Aleph with a cyan LED. Or white. Get something carefully thought out with good electronics and thermal management, with a low level of a few lumens and a high level over 50 lm.

Scott

PS: what flavor of physics do you do?

Topper

Flashaholic*
Ok I have a brass Peak McKinley,(as well as other Peak lights) the new version with cut out bezel 7 leds. I think it looks great it is a chunk of beautiful brass. It is not a "throw monster" I like it just fine. Fits the looks;fits the size, mine is not for sale.Get your own.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote to HDS. Can't beat their output (60 lumens in the 60 models) for their size my opinion says.

powerfuldark

Newly Enlightened
You offer some great advice, but I was thinking that my first foray into this hobby should be something off-the-shelf. I'm generally not a tweaker, unless it involves audio tubes, home made biological filtration systems, reprofiling knives, darkroom gadgetry..... Well, maybe I am a tweaker, after all. We'll see soon enough, I suppose.

By the way, I love the name Aleph 1. I wonder how many folks here know what that means (also used by the superb Nelson Pass line of audio equipment, but that is another story).