Flashlight Hall of Fame?

gorlank

Enlightened
Just thinking about who the nominees would be for the Flashlight Hall of Fame if there were such an animal. I only started buying nice lights last year so my knowledge is sorely lacking. My two nominees are pretty obvious.

Arc AAA - an icon, still as nice a keychain light as any ever produced. Nice and bright and eminently pocketable. Everyone I show mine to wants one. Definitely a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Nuwai QIII - Another one of my faves, good build quality, inexpensive and a really nice beam. A great intro into the world of nice lights.

Be really interested to hear from others.

cdf

Enlightened
Surefire 6P , M3 , M6 , the minimag , and 3D Mag , Thew original Safariland Kelite .

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
To do this right, you'd need some group (the moderators?) to select a limited number of nominees and then put the slate to a vote of a privileged membership (registered CPF users?). Then pick the ONE winner in each category plus honorable mentions.

I suggest categorizing by type (LED and incan) and price: $1, $10, $50, etc.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag3D for its infamous poor performance as a lighting instrument and its famous performance as a modding platform.

The Streamlight Stinger as the exemplar of small, bright EDC duty carry.

The Vector Spotlight, Banana, for it performance, size and modding potential.

Wilkey

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe we could have a flashlight idol. Pick a bunch of lights in each category, CPF members would vote once a week, the light with fewest votes in each category would be kicked off, and we would do it again the next week.

And we could argue and dis the lights on threads during the week... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boy, that might get the CPF bandwidth usage up some, ya think...

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened
There are many lights worthy of an induction, but I think that without the SureFire 6P we wouldn't have any "superlights". I remember when it first came out. It would put any "flashlight" to shame. It would cost about $12 to run for a hour, but man it was worth it. After the guys at the academy saw it person they would stop laughing at its "small" size. Great light to carry as a "back up" to the 6D and 4D Mags (which also deserve a worthwhile mention).

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
To do this right, you'd need some group (the moderators?) to select a limited number of nominees and then put the slate to a vote of a privileged membership (registered CPF users?). Then pick the ONE winner in each category plus honorable mentions.

I suggest categorizing by type (LED and incan) and price: $1, $10, $50, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Spoken like an Engineer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 should be the mascot of the whole event, after all it is the best one right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
..Oops, did I say that out loud.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

gorlank

Enlightened
Can't believe I forgot the Mag, it wasn't that long ago that I'd stare at it and go, it doesn't get much better than this.
It probably deserves it's own wing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bradlee

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
Maybe we could have a flashlight idol. Pick a bunch of lights in each category, CPF members would vote once a week, the light with fewest votes in each category would be kicked off, and we would do it again the next week.

And we could argue and dis the lights on threads during the week... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL:) That would be funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Bradlee

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That would be funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
SL TL3
Dorcy AAA led
Pelican M6 (incan+LED)
VIP
LionHeart
Aleph (any+all)
E1E
TW4

I will be back with more... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it should be determined whether we are thinking of a CPF only hall of fame, or a general public flashlight hall of fame. If it is for ALL flashlights, then the high-end lights may be at a disadvantage simply because of lack of numbers, and lights like the Eveready 2D plastic flashlights would be contenders, simply because they are popular with the masses, and have sold millions. Same for the whole line of MagLites. I guess it would depend on the criteria. Would numbers sold be an issue? Or only technological innovation? Or maybe both? This will be an interesting thread.
Currently, I'll vote forthe MiniMag, the Eveready plastic 2D, and the whole line of D cell MagLites for the sheer numbers sold
I'll also vote for the Arc AAA, EternaLight, Photon Microlight, and my new favorite the TnC Key-Lux AA 350 for the technological innovation.
I'm sure there are others that I've forgotten about, heck there are so many that could qualify. I'm sure someone will mention other outstanding lights.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well a hall of fame goes back in time and is not just current in embrace. The Arc LS has been mentioned but I haven't seen the E2e or E2 for that matter? The other light that keeps getting forgotten is the SF A2 which is a timeless merge of regulated incan and LED; timeless but never really having its time in the limelight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In addition to a hall of fame, perhaps a hall of shame and with some of us and our compulsion, perhaps a hall of blame?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L4

...still thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wilkey