Best rechargeable R123s' for P90 in C2?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best rechargeable R123s\' for P90 in C2?

Looking around for rechargeables to do the ol' P90 with 2 R123s' thing. I found these at batteryspace.com and was hoping to get comments. I'm looking for PROTECTED cells. I really don't want to mess with the unprotected stuff...
Batteryspace 3.6V RCR123A Li-on and charger....

Any other suggestions?

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Re: Best rechargeable R123s\' for P90 in C2?

Jon at JS Burlys usually has them although I notice now that they are apparently out of stock. I just grabbed one that was charged and has been sitting out and it comes in around 4.15v right now.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are they the protected version? I'll look at Jons' site too...

cognitivefun

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
Are they the protected version? I'll look at Jons' site too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon's are protected. Note two versions: the 3v (in stock now apparently) and the higher 4.x volt (out of stock now apparently). The higher voltage one is the one you want.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
Looking around for rechargeables to do the ol' P90 with 2 R123s' thing. I found these at batteryspace.com and was hoping to get comments. I'm looking for PROTECTED cells. I really don't want to mess with the unprotected stuff...
Batteryspace 3.6V RCR123A Li-on and charger....

Any other suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Got this same set up. When the light turns green on the charger indicating full charge the batt's come off reading 4.06v consistently. I leave mine on the charger for a total of 12 to 14 hours to bring the cells up to 4.10v. Cells do not get warm during charging these unprotected cells and I do not feel that I am in any danger on charging these cells. From what I have heard thus far on protected and unprotected cells is this. Using protected cells you are limited on what the cells will work in because of the lower capacities. I think this is a great little set up, great bang for the buck.

Dave

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm, the BatterySpace.com set I linked to shows it has a 4.2V peak voltage. I guess thats' right off the charger. But they seem the same as others that are being used unless I'm missing something. They are also 650mah - is that about right?
I looked around Jons site, but he seems to be out, and doesn't have any pics of batts or charger, not that it matters, but I like to actually see the product at least...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

KDOG3, I tried protected RCR123's (batteryspace.com) and my Surefire 6P with P90 LA would not turn on. It was too much current draw, and the protective circuit kicked in. I have not used other protected RCR123's, but have heard that they will do the same thing. I did use the cells that you found at batterspace.com, and the light turned on just fine with awesome bright light. Kevin at Battery Station told me, in an email, that his cells were meant for single cell applications. I did try his protected cells (2) in my 6P with the BugOutGear 3watt drop in, and they work just fine at the current draw of 500mA's. See " R123 Shootout needed 4 REAL capacity of 123 LiIons" thread in the battery forum. Also see "The P90 with 2 rechargables thread". Protected RCR123's do not like high current drain, unprotected do not mind high current. Get unprotected cells and use them carefully. Check the voltage ever so often. Buy a great little DMM from Harbor Depot ($2.99). If light starts to dim noticeably replace cells. Get the batteryspace.com cells, but use the batterystation.com charger, it is much faster. It takes approximately 2 hours to charge my batteryspace cells, up to 4.18 volts. Read the threads about RCR123's.

Bill

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
Dukester: The batteyspace cells are unprotected?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

You did say you wanted comments, right? I was just giving you some feedback on the unprotected cells that I use from BatterySpace and have been quite happy with them.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now I read somewhere in the forums here that a P90 WOULD run off of protected cells, just not the P91. I can't remember what thread it was in, but I could swear that I read that here.
So what I really need to know is that when the light starts to dim, replace them.

Bullzeyebill: What this DMM from Harbor Depot? A voltmeter? Do you have a link?

I'm very close to taking the plunge on this, I just want to get these last few questions taken care of...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

KDOG3, look at the threads I listed. There are only a couple of cells that do ok with 1 amp+ drain bulbs, such as P90 LA (1.1amp). Protected cells do poorly. The unprotected batteryspace.com cells do very well.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

KDOG3, DMM, digital multimeter. Can measure ohms, voltage (AC-DC), current, etc. Web site is harborfreight.com, and they have stores in a lot of cities. Check your phone book.

Bill

wquiles

Flashaholic

The unprotected cells that I got from AW work perfect with either my P90 or P91 lights.

Will

AW

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
wquiles said:
The unprotected cells that I got from AW work perfect with either my P90 or P91 lights.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this MP 700mAH R123 is the battery Will is refering to.

wquiles

Flashaholic

Correct, those are the little bugger's I was refering too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whoa, I might have to go with them instead!!! Hopefully they're still around next payday. Best charger for them?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Here are some results from R123 Shootout needed 4 REAL capacity of 123 LiIons:

@1A on a CBA with 3.0V LVC.
Battery Station: 400mAh
MP(AW): 570mAh
Battery Space: 580mAh

EDIT: Added MP(AW) cells. Wow, same capacity as .5A!!

@1.4A on a CBA with LVC at 3.0V
MP(AW): 540mAh
Battery Station: 270mAh
Battery Space: 560mAh

EDIT: Added Battery Space at 1A and 1.4A tests. These MP(AW) cells seem to be real perfomers! They hold their capacity thoughout different loads too.

EDIT: Added Battery Space cells at 1.4A

Bill

Edited by wptski (Thu Mar 31 2005 12:45 PM)
Back to me. The Battery Space cells sell for $2.99. The Battery Space charger sells for $12.00, and is one of the fastest small RCR123 chargers. Holds two cells, and charges in parallel, which is safest.

Bill