G2, L4, E1L, and Pelican m6..Beamshot attempt!!

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried to do some beamshots, steady camera, fixed settings, fixed focus..
All my favorite lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
G2
PICT6329.jpg

L4
PICT6327.jpg

E1L
PICT6328.jpg

Pelican M6
PICT6325.jpg

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good. Gives a quick comparison in color, brightness, and beam size. We talk all the time about how lights compare, but these pictures are worth 1000 words each. I wish more CPF'ers would do this. Thanks.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
That L4 pic is the greatest!
The toy car is on my fire pit, the ladder is leading to my kids playset, the obsticle in the grass is one end of a horseshoe pit.
The L4 has the 30' trees lit up like day light. The Pm6 is dangerously bright and comfortable.
To me the L4 and E1L deliver the same throw (or close), the E1L just lacks spill, which is also VERY handy for certain applications.

clays

Newly Enlightened
Re: G2, L4, E1L, and Pelican m6..Beamshot attempt!

Cool pictures. That gives me an idea what it would be like to have a KL1 head on my L4. Since you're saying the throw is almost the same for the KL1 and the L4, and with the spill being so much better on the L4, I'm now less interested in trying a KL1 and more interested in getting a 2 stage switch for the L4 for those times when I don't need to use so much light. Thanks for posting them!

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
GREAT SHOTS........

Is that PM6 Incan. or LED?.......I'm thinking its gotta be the Incan.

Aloha

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, the PM6 looks way brighter than the G2. Is that right? Are you sure you had fresh batts in the G2?

And the E1L seems ALOT brigther than the L4. I was looking into getting the L4 but from that pic, its TOO much of a flood...

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes that is the incan. I presonally dont like the Pelican LED model (my bro has it) because it lacks throw. Some other things I dont like about it include not-so-good beam quality, and no serious flood.

-tom

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dang, Pyd, those are excellent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Keep up the good work.

Britt

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

The M6 and G2 both had fresh batteries, it is that much brighter, I share your surprise. The hotspot of the G2 is much smoother and more uniform.
KDOG3, the L4 and E1l are very different, those two lights shouldn't be compared like that. This section of my back yard is surrounded in 35' Pine trees, it's like being in a big pine room. The E1L lights up whatever you point it at, it is great that way, if I shine it into the trees I can see what ever I point it towards, The L4 on the other hand, regardless of where it is pointing ignites the whole back yard, it's NOT about spill with that one(the L4), it's about creating a sea of light. Spill is really the wrong word when it comes to these. If you are considering a L4 don't change your mind over these photos, the L4 is the one you want, trust me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Britt, Thanks, that was a fun experiment. I needed an excuse to get my lights into the backyard without my wife giving me the "what are you doing now" look. After the microwave incident she gets nervous when I head out with an armful of lights.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

The E1L lights up the ladder and the toy behind it better than the G2? That would mean it has more spill, and that's not the case. There's got to be something wrong with the G2 picture.

larryk

Enlightened

I also think there is something wrong with the G2 or photo of the G2 beam. I own both lights and my G2 has a slightly whiter, brighter beam. Is your PM6 the newer version with a lamp assembley rather than a bulb ? Larry.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

The PM6 is the one with the lamp assembly, it was a gift from another CPF member and just got here, that is why I chose to do the beamshots.
Last night I ended up doing it again, substituting new batteries in the G2, it did appear to have a better beam then in the photo, I will reshoot the G2 photo (all the photos) again when the weather clears up a bit. I did a white wall test at about 30' using just the G2 and M6, this time the G2 was closer to the output of the M6 making me think I may have been dealing with a bad cell, but it was new out of the package and you got to see the first 30 seconds of it's life.
Even still, when placed side by side G2 and M6, the M6 had a much brighter hotspot than the G2 and still out threw it.
I am a Surefire addict, I have 2 on me at any given second of the day, and 1 under my pillow at night, but thew bottom line is that the M6 out throws the G2, quite distinctly.
When I head out next I will repeat the beamshots using the same batteries to try to add to try to keep continuity with the photos. That was my first attempt.
I also noticed that in the L4 photo the beam is aimed at the groung slightly more than the other photos.

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened

Did you point the L4 a little low? Seems like only the grass is lit and not the toy car?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
John_KK said:
Did you point the L4 a little low? Seems like only the grass is lit and not the toy car?

[/ QUOTE ]
I did, yes.
next attempt will be at a larger distance, bigger target, less beer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:

And the E1L seems ALOT brigther than the L4. I was looking into getting the L4 but from that pic, its TOO much of a flood...

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD. Great pic's. I hope this kind of pic show's
how the KL-1 open's up into a great medium long throw beam,
Not a laser or X-1. L4 is brighter because of the flood but
if you don't want that much of a wall but more light on target, KL-1, want flood K-4. two good light's for different
application's.

I would love to know if a new K-4 has been revamped like some of the other newer SF stuff, KL-1 etc benice to have nice throw and some spill opposed to flood.
Someone mentioned on another thread that with an 1xR123 the K-4 was good for 100 lumens, pulling over 1700 mah. web site still says 65 lumen's so if that
R123 bumps up a K-4 to 100 cool, but I want to know the newest spec's on a new K-4 beam throw etc, since i got my HDS basic 60 i don't want a whole light(L4) but wonder about it on one of my VG bodies.
I happy you shot these "real world" style pydpiper, because it really help's show the flashlights doing what there supposed to do,and also breaks some myths and not just some whitewall or ceiling test shot. good light's for different applicaton's, not the usual "this one is better then that one" beamshots. good job. VDG

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Very nice!

Except the G2 looks SICK!

And the L4 pic is aimed kinda wrong....

Still: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kewlpics.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

Display_Name

Newly Enlightened

It might help if you show a daylight photo just for the purpose of showing the true colors.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Display_Name said:
It might help if you show a daylight photo just for the purpose of showing the true colors.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok then.. Thats an easy one.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I had to go find the car car though..
PICT6330.jpg