Recommendations for Graduation Present

democopy

Newly Enlightened
Thought I would enlist your support in recommendations for a flashlight for my son who will be graduating shortly. Something that will be functional and useful for years to come.

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wmirag

Enlightened
Get him an EDC like a Photon Freedom or a Jil. If he really likes lights, get him an HDS.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Graduating from high school, college??

A SF U2, L4 with McGizmo 2 stage switch, E1L, Pelican M6 HA III, HDS U60, etc. etc. There are many great lights out there, but it all depends on how big you are willing to go and how much $$$ you are willing to spend.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Depends on your budget, and where he's graduating from/what he's doing next.

Allow me to do add to UVVis' suggestion:
L4 with Pila batteries/charges.

clays

Newly Enlightened
L4, and any batteries, rechargeable or otherwise, that will power it.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I would also vote for the L4, and would highly recommend the 15ohm McGizmo tail switch to replace the factory switch - that would give your son an even more versatile light.

That being said, if you can afford it for your son, I would suggest the U2 instead - great light for almost any use.

Will

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, so what makes people prefer the L4 so much over, say, the L2?

Mostly asking 'cause I now have an L2 and like it a lot!

mokona2

Enlightened
L4 with or without the McGizmo tail switch is shorter than the L2. Makes it easier to carry and also the L4 body tube readily accepts rechargeables like the Pilas while the L2 has a much narrower body tube.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Give him the best light (in your opinion) that HE can easily get batteries for!

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
clays said:

[/ QUOTE ]
of course, but why spend even more money in disposable batts?

from what I keep hearing, the L4 spits out **a lot** of light. Coupled with a McGizmo two-stage switch, you're golden!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mokona2 said:
L4 with or without the McGizmo tail switch is shorter than the L2. Makes it easier to carry and also the L4 body tube readily accepts rechargeables like the Pilas while the L2 has a much narrower body tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go for the e1l, e2l, or e2e.. They are excellent lights and are perfect to fit in one's pocket. I bring them to school every day. (at least the e1l)

-tom

clays

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
[ QUOTE ]
clays said:

[/ QUOTE ]
of course, but why spend even more money in disposable batts?

from what I keep hearing, the L4 spits out **a lot** of light. Coupled with a McGizmo two-stage switch, you're golden!

[/ QUOTE ]

The L4 does spit out a huge amount of light. I just thought the L4 would be the "gift". The recipient, even with a box of Surefire batts for $15, would be kept busy with his new toy for quite a while, and the Pila's are a significant investment to get up front. The two stage switch would be nice, but also pricey up front. I'd like to have one on my own L4, though.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless your son is actually a flashaholic himself, I suggest you get him something which will actually fit on his keychain so he will keep it and won't forget it over time. For quality, maybe the Peak 1AAA 3 led in ultra power, or the like. Put in a lithium.

Not all people are (or perhaps even can be) flashaholics and it could be hard for the non-afflicted to appreciate the value of something too far up the flasholic's value heirarchy. If your son is a potential flasholic, the Peak will get him started.

If not, he'd probably be happier with a $1 keychain light and a check for whatever else was in your flashlight budget.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
Not all people are (or perhaps even can be) flashaholics and it could be hard for the non-afflicted to appreciate the value of something too far up the flasholic's value heirarchy. If your son is a potential flasholic, the Peak will get him started.

If not, he'd probably be happier with a $1 keychain light and a check for whatever else was in your flashlight budget.

[/ QUOTE ]

HEATHEN!!! Get him guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (Just kidding)

Actually you make a very good point. It's not so much what we, as flashaholics, would like to give as presents. It's more a case of what the person might appreciate.

clays

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
Unless your son is actually a flashaholic himself, I suggest you get him something which will actually fit on his keychain so he will keep it and won't forget it over time. For quality, maybe the Peak 1AAA 3 led in ultra power, or the like. Put in a lithium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but there's just one thing. I wasn't all that interested in flashlights, either, until I was fed up with poor and mediocre lights that I had been using and was ready to give something nice a shot for all-around use and hiking and backpacking. I went with the L4 based on recommendations from this site and if any light could create a new flashaholic, I'd bet the little L4 could. The first time he or she tries out his new L4 at night, he'll get a big smile on his face and thank the thoughtful gift giver for such a fine, nice, and useful thing. Creative gift, too. I'm betting he won't get many other flashlights for graduation gifts. I think a nice, bright, and small light like the L4 would be a good idea for a graduation gift.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
For myself for graduation, I just got an Orb Raw. I am liking this thing a lot too. Its classy looking, nice little case with it. If you want to get me something, I would ask for a X990.

Cameron

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a son who is an engineering graduate student at UCLA and is as geeky as all that implies. He has a passion for many kinds of gimmicks - which I understand - and for video games - which I don't, although I respect it. Despite all that, he just doesn't have a real interest in flashlights beyond their "practical" uses despite much exposure to them; and in his logical mind, most of our toys are way overkill for practical lighting needs (probably true...). So like I said, it just seems the DNA flaw is not in some people.

Good people, decent people, just...different.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif..people...