What constitutes "tactical" light output?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
What constitutes \"tactical\" light output?

I noticed when buying my TerraLux Ministar2 for my 2AA minimag, that they claim "tactical light performance for a fraction of the cost." Not hardly. While its is neat, I can't see it being used for anything other than a close up floodie.

Which begs the question, is there a standard that dictates "tactical" light output? Is there a minimum? Say, 35 lumens in the form of a tight spot?
Thought this might spur an interesting conversation...

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What constitutes \"tactical\" light output?

Let me make this clear at the outset, I am NOT saying I'm the authority on this topic, I'm just relaying info from the days when I was an LEO.

The general concensus where I worked was that a "real" tactical light was considered to be one that met the following criterion...

-Firearm Mounted (usually perminantly, but not always)
-Designed such that the light could withstand the recoil force of firing said weapon repeatedly without failing.
-Bright enough to blind your target. (that one was always vague as nobody ever specified distance or lumens or whatever)
-Compact in size/weight so as to not interfere with the use of the weapon.
-Switch that could be operated one handed. (a grip mounted momentary switch was preferred)
-And anything we used had to have a solid output of light for 45min MINIMUM or we really didn't much care for it.

At the time this pretty much meant Surefire or Streamlight and DEEP pockets.

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened

I think I read on the Surefire website that they considered 50 lumens the minimum for "tactical" applications.

CyByte

Newly Enlightened

I am a civilian. Tactical to me is good enough for my environment. I live in the country and most places I go a standard EDC light would be good enough. I belive if I purchase the T1 it will have suffecient light for my preferred firing distance in low light situations.

I would prefer to have my surefire E2E of course but since I use the light for everything the surefire is unrealistic for what I want to use it for.

I belive tactical is tactical to the given situation. Remember tactical does NOT have to involve firearms.

If all hell breaks loose and you have to run for you life. Tactical is no longer a 60 lumen light with less then 1 hour of battery. It is now hide, run, see at night and low light. If the lights go out and you are not at home and you live where I do. Expect many hours without your power. Here again inside a home or a city where you do not need to see further then one side of your property to the other a 60 lumen light is not needed and if your camping and hiking at night the same situation.

Just adding wood to the fire guys

VWTim

Enlightened

As already mentioned, it really depends on your usage. For myself? A tactical light is the one on my weak side next to the spare magazine loader. It should be 60ish+ Lumens, enough to temp blind, but to also be able to identify without a doubt what you're seeing. I also don't use my "tactical" flashlight for anything to keep the batteries fresh. Also, when replacing the batteries in my other 123 lithium lights, the TL-2 on my belt gets the fresh batts, with the handme downs going into whatever needed the batteries in the first place.

I guess mine's more of a SHTF, what if, usage light. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and it's at home.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

A tactical light to me is:
1) A light with an output greater-then-or-equal-to 60 lumens (enough to temporarily blind)
3) Has a relatively short runtime (~1 hour on 2-3 batts)
4) Is vertually a tank (very strong)

-tom

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I read this story in a Surefire catalog. Surefire person (might have been Dr. John Matthews) goes to a Navy SEAL and asks what they need in a tactical flashlight. The SEAL replies, "I want it so bright, when you shine it in their eyes, light comes out their ears."

I want a light so bright that when you shine it on the bad guy, it leaves a scorched outline of a person on the wall behind him.

I want a light so bright that you can perform CAT scans with it.

I want a light so bright it reflects off the bad guys eyeballs and zaps the other bad guys. (Raiders of the Lost Ark)

I want a light so bright that the rule, "Never point it at anything you aren't willing to destroy," applies.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cy

Flashaholic

probably way off, but I've always thought tactical was abilitity to be firearms mounted, tape trigger, rugged enough to survive gunfire and enough lumems to blind with eyelids shut.

Surefire M6 w/Hola at 500 lumens would fit the bill. never thought a 3watt luxeon 60 lumen light would even come close.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

tac·ti·cal (tkt-kl)

ADJECTIVE:

1. Of, relating to, or using tactics.

a. Of, relating to, used in, or involving military or naval operations that are smaller, closer to base, and of less long-term significance than strategic operations.
b. Carried out in support of military or naval operations: tactical bombing.

3. Characterized by adroitness, ingenuity, or skill.

Just apply the above to a flashlight and see if it fits the description, at least according to The American Heritage Dictionary. Of course, there's all that marketing which can argue that just about anything is "tactical"..

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

cy:
What 3W luxeon light puts out 60 Lumens? I'd really like to know!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tactical is as much about overall design as it is about output. Take the switch. On a tactical light, your life might depend on precise timing of the ON/OFF switch. Hence, a tactical switch can be activated with one hand and you don't have to guess where it is along the flashlight's circumference. That's why most tactical lights mount the switch on the tail. Gerber's TX 3.0, for example, is essentially an LX 3.0 with a tail switch.

Some tactical light makers go further and make sure that when you intend to use a momentary mode, it's virtually impossible to select full ON.

A former cop once explained to me that a further advantage of the tail switch: It makes it easy for the cop to operate the switch with the light held at arm's length. Why hold it at arm's length? Because as soon as the cop turns it ON, the bad guy may shoot at it.

CyByte

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
cy:

[/ QUOTE ]

flashlightreviews.com The Luxeon I, used in the T1 and T2, is designed to handle 350mA of current and produces around 25 Lumens at those current levels. The Luxeon III is designed to handle 1000mA and produces around 80 Lumens at that current level.

I think you are correct about the tail switch. that is one reason why in my EDC light I want it full on but also just tactical for momentary.

Bradlee

Enlightened

By "The Luxeon III", I believe CyByte was refering to the Inova T3. It is indeed bright and has amazing throw (especially compared to the ministar 2).

As far as a tactical light, I would classify it as a bright light with a switch that can be activated temporarily or locked-on and which is durrable enough to come out of any situation shining.

Just in case you were curious about how much light a Luxeon III can put out:

Terralux Ministar II (advertised: 25 Lumens):
10021670025vq.jpg

Inova T3 (advertised: 85 Lumens [With brighter hotspot]):
10021680021jg.jpg

-Brad

cslinger

Enlightened

"What constitutes "tactical" light output?"

A muzzle flash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
cy:

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the Gerber LX 3.0 will put out pretty close to that with fresh batts.

cy

Flashaholic

totally possible for 3watt luxeon, 60 lumens out front end.

Ubin puts out 87 to 113 lumens when driven at spec'd 700 milliamps.

if properly heatsinked, not unusual to drive a three watt at 1amps. New gen lumineds are driven up to 1.4amps.

If lumens out the front end is what we are after. one needs to factor in transmission losses due to reflector, lens, heat etc. Then factor back in lumens gains due to overdrive if any.

There are loads of posts documenting percentage losses/gains for above factors.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. If we take middle of road performance for Ubin of 100 lumens, increase by 20% for driving over spec. then reduce by 45% we get 66 lumens.

of course if we had access to an integrating sphere, we would really know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UVvis

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Paul_in_Maryland said:
A former cop once explained to me that a further advantage of the tail switch: It makes it easy for the cop to operate the switch with the light held at arm's length. Why hold it at arm's length? Because as soon as the cop turns it ON, the bad guy may shoot at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo, Hence the FBI style or technique. Also why running around with your light on all the time is fool hardy.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also why it's not a generally good idea to attach your light to your duty weapon, with a few "tactical" exceptions. .

UVvis

Enlightened

The primary "tactical" exception is that you know how to use it.

CyByte

Newly Enlightened

I think tatical is for mall ninjas