Setting up a 2c Mag for 18650 Li-ions ( pics)

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you still playing with your sn2, or sn2 clone, or 2c mag with 6 cell bulb and going through cr123's like crazy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Now there may be a better way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Here is the nonrechargeable power source with cutdown spring
below with an sn2 clone with a 5 watt Luxeon led lurking inside.
DSC00440.jpg

A better, rechargeable and longer runtime source below.
2 18650 2200mah rated li-ion batteries with international charger.
Special thanks to; cpf'er AW in the Non Lights BST forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
DSC00441.jpg

Oh no!! They don't really fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif They are much too long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

DSC00442.jpg

Hehe, problem solved easily enough below. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The dremel (bottom) was used to expose some bare aluminum at the bottom of the tailcap.
I found the top part of the cutdown spring and used it inside the tailcap after customizing it with the vise pliers (top) to make good contact.
Placed it inside the tailcap with a little contact grease.
DSC00445.jpg

Below is a pic of the leftovers of the old setup.
DSC00447.jpg

The bigger diameter 18650's also made for a still loose, but better fit inside this "Goodyear" brand battery adaptor inside the light.
The same one used for the cr123's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
DSC00448.jpg

Still pulls 850-900 milliamps from these just like from the old 3X cr123 setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The new setups gains:
Rechargeability for your sn2 clone.
Higher capacity, and longer runtime than the disposable cr123s had. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

The unit modded here is resistored unlike a real spaceneedle2. (no sweat)
Not sure what these batteries will do with an unresistored sn2. Please use care with this mod with a nonresistored sn2, or sn2 clone.

Happy modding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Another edit:
The 18650's featured are flat-tops with no added length from tabs, or (+) buttons.

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: Setting up an sn2 clone for 18650 Li-ions ( pics)

ahhhh,,, what the heck, :think:

I was just doing this last night ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wanted to fit 2 pila 168s's in one of my 2C mags, BUT, they WONT fit.
Do you have Pilas to compare to?
OR, are you using UNprotected cells?

I think my bare 18650 cells would fit, but thats dangeraous, I was gonna buy a couple of AWs cells to do this with.

I know that with Pilas, you cant get the tailcap even half way on.
I was gonna make a new tailcap tonight, but would rather not if I didnt have to. lol

~John

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Setting up an sn2 clone for 18650 Li-ions ( pi

These are the unprotected ones in the pic.
If I'm not mistaken, these are same size as Pila 168A.
AW now has protected 18650's for sale.
He started selling those right after I bought these unprotected ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
At the 1st sign of dimming is when I shut this light off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Edit:
These 18650's each, measure about 2 millimeters shorter than 2 cr123's do.

jtice

Flashaholic

thanks, thats what I figured /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18650s are the same DIA as Pila 168As, but shorter, sence theres no protection.

Drives me nuts, I need only about 2mm to 3mm more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Im gonna have to machine a totally new tailcap for the mag I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
That, or find a 3C mag and cut it down to size, hmmm, that is probably easier.

Anyone have a 3C mag I can have????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Any color but red and purple. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I dont trust bare 18650s in that situation, you can easily get them too low.

The first one I make, I think its gonna be a 3W TWOJ with nFlex, and 2 of AWs protected 18650s.
Then I want to make a 5W one also.

~John

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I modded a 3c 4cr123 light a while back.
It didn't need any cutting down at all.
The stock spring fit that setup just perfect.
2 protected18650's ought to do quite well with it.
At worst, maybe custom lengthen the spring a bit with vise pliers.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I'd think that an overdischarge protection circuit would be somewhat straightforward - some minimum voltage would be required to open the circuit.

But doing that in a low-profile "pill" (or similar drop-in) that can handle multiple amps of current is another thing.

jtice

Flashaholic

idle,

well, the problem is this....

Making a small "pill" that you could just drop in the light with the cells, that cut the voltage off at 6V would be fine, and really easy to do.
BUT, thats not really gonna cut it.
Thats safer than no protection at all, but that doesnt monitor each cell seperately. And if you dont do that, it can get dangerous.

Now, you could make 2 - 3V pills, and put them on top each cell, but then, you might as well just use 2 protected cells in the first place.

3rd_Shift, hmm yea, I guess a 3C mag would fit fine, you could shorten it some if you wanted, but not needed.

Guess I will have to ask for one in B/S/T, there are NOOO C mags anywhere around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

~John

cy

Flashaholic

would not use any bare li-ion cells in series. especially high capacity cells like 18650, which can discharge 30+ amps in a dead short situation.

protected 18650 are going for $12ea now VS $8ea for bare, just not worth fire/explosion risks.

don't do this mod without a resistor, you will KILL you 5watt. I killed my Mr. Bulk SNII by inserting 2x bare 18650. was really really bright... for aprox one minute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

voltage is not only consideration. one luxeon is the only burden in circuit holding back 60+ amps.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just remember if you are a current owner of a SN2 (or clone), when you drop these 2x Li-Ion (18650 | 17670 | 168A | 168S) in remember to change the resistor.

Otherwise your "Space Needle 2" will become a "Space Candle" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

Stephen
This setup should work nicely with a downconverter and a lux III. My calculator predicts about 3.74 hours of runtime if the 2200 mAh is accurate. Woof. I just may have to try this. I already have one with 3 R123's and get about 1.5 hours.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

The regulated lights are a likely area to get in trouble with bare unprotected li-ion cells.
The light may look fine and bright while one cell has overdischarged. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DD lights will usually dim some before either of the batteries has gotten too low, but definitely keep a close eye on it anyways,
or if unsure, just put them back on the charger.

I just took the light in the pic to work tonight like I did last night.
It has become my favorite for now.
I'm now seriously considering doing a series parallel 4x3 watt 2c with better 18650's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Edit:
Come to think of it, I do have a 3 watt 2c magmod on hand to try a pair of protected cells on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I'll give that a try too Unclefester. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

I just finished a 2C mag qith TWOJ and nFlex.
Its running off 2xPila 150s's right now, but after I make the custom tail cap, two 168 size will fit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I love the nFlex board, just enough room for it in there.

~John

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work John! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I *think* 18650's (168A of any type are 2mm shorter than 17670's (168S).

The ones I stuffed inside my light are flat-tops with no added length from (+) buttons.

Protected 18650's with no tabs or buttons may also fit, but I could be wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

wtraymond

Enlightened
Nice John,

I was just planning to build that same light - 2C M@g with 18650s and nFlex - just waiting for the parts.

I do have some 3C Mags available if your still looking for one. I don't think I've ever seen 3C+ size Mag in any color other than black. I've seen the 2Cs in black and titanium. I can send you a NIB unopened black 3C Mag for $12.00 shipped CONUS. PM me if you want one.

Good job on the light. Add some beamshots.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe, I just tried the 2c 2X 18650 with 4 SX1K binned 3 watt leds in series parallel.
And they really whitened up when driven this hard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
This thing heats up fast though, the whole flashlight does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif

This "mini quad" is pulling 2.4 amps (about 1.2 amps per led!).
Looks like U**L bin might be the better move for this kind of setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But this little light definitely packs quite a punch now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I just hope it doesn't blow up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected 2200mah li-ions from AW (BST Non Lights) fit as well.
Anyone care to guess what I'm using for a tailspring in it now with these longer length batteries? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Edit:
A single office paper staple in the tailcap.
I laid it on top of the (-) end of the rear battery before putting the tailcap on.
The light works just fine this way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tailcap is all the way on.

Yes, that is how close these protected li-ion batteries are to fitting in a 2c maglite perfectly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic
Stephen,

Excellent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Now all you have to do is replace the "crapy" S bins for some nice T bins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will

jtice

Flashaholic
wasabe64, nice work on the tailcap.
I am making a flared out tailcap. That will be alittle larger dia. than the body, and will have a lanyard attachment. If I can work on it more than 10 minutes straight without being interutpted by family members, I may be able to finish it some day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

wtraymond, Email on the way ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks !