Long throw, BRIGHT portable lights

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK...after revisiting the HID light cannon topics, i'm starting to get another itch - i think i'm gonna buy another light!
mad.gif

The reason i'm checkin out the LC is because i want another light to replace my Lectro-Science rechargeable Spotlight. My light is rated at 1 million CP but it only runs for 45-50 minutes. I love the fact though that it can light up object VERY far away.

Now, i don't want to get into a lengthy discussion about candlepower vs Lumens - so i don't want to compare the two in that manner. I want to know if they will have a similar "reach" of light. I believe It'd be kinda unfair to compare the two becuase the spotlight has a huge 6" reflector - right? But then again, HID is new territory for me so i wouldn't know exactly.

Please help me out, I LOVE bright lights like my spotlight. So far i haven't found anything that can match it's ability to throw light long distances. I'll tell you a GREAT story of one of my trips with this light in a later post.

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
If you have a 12V automotive type spotlight in the millions of CP, nothing in HID short of a Maxabeam will match it. The Light Cannon is just not very focused past a few hundred yards. The name is partly hype. I do like the LC, because it reveals more visual detail up to that point. Past that you just need a lot more watts and reflector inches not found on the LC. The Maxabeam is the only HID I know of that has these things. Needless to say MB's are outragously expensive, so what you have may be the best solution. Perhaps the hunters out there know which regular spots are the best.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahh...so the beam characteristics of the HID LC past 100 yards is like a super-duper LED light? (for the lack of a better comparison)
grin.gif

I'm just wondering if it's worth the 175 dollars. It'd be really cool comming out of the forest during a camping trip with a group of friends as i lead them with an HID light!!!

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
If you have the money. My exercise form is nightwalking, and even though 8 C batteries aren't exactly featherlight the LC has been comfortable to carry. I don't feel wanting for flood-power or spot power with this light and the blueishness of it seems to tell people "this muchacho takes whatever the h&%$ he's doing out here serious...what the *@%# IS this muchacho doing out here?". This can mean increased safety when walking near a road. In the woods, those spliny-toed pea-brain double-hooded brackbill woodpeckers don't care one bit. Some species are positively dense. Brown bears are known prefer halogens if you can manage it.

EBay has had LC's for less than $175 but I got mine from Brightguy, and I am happy with it. I really want to see even more powerful HIDs on the market next year. It's really great technology for flashlights. You've got a great light when you've got a metal halide.

You may need a backup in case you get way out back because HIDs are supposed to be somewhat fragile. Mine has survived some abuse with a pleasant expression but accidents happen on these trips and it would be nice to have it then.

recercare

Enlightened
If you want a more powerful HID, then get the Stadium 3. It's a bikelight, but i know people who've made/found a body that turns it into a flashlight. 1500 lumens, 3 hours burntime...wow!

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
What did they do about the battery? Did they put it all in one? I am thinking about building an all-in-one-unit 18-21 watter using the same bulb as Cateye but I'm not sure how to power it. So far three D cells with a regulator is the plan. Obviously you can't get milk from a turnip; it probably won't run long off that.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:
If you want a more powerful HID, then get the Stadium 3. It's a bikelight, but i know people who've made/found a body that turns it into a flashlight. 1500 lumens, 3 hours burntime...wow!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dug up some research on the "Stadium 3" light you mentioned. I appreciate the input. I agree, HID technology is amazing. I remember when cars first started to utilize HID technology. Me and my cousin were imagining having a flashlight that utilized HID technology...and a couple years later...here it is! (boy, is that how old my addiction is?)

Anyway... the stadium 3 is made by CAT EYE technology. Its listed at $425.00
shocked.gif
But it does have a 21w HID lamp (equivilant to 80 watts).
shocked.gif

here's a pic off there website

PHL_STADIUM_I.JPG

www.cateye.com

Doug

Enlightened
Ok... I am getting annoyed now
mad.gif
... someone please tell me where I can see a picture of this Light Cannon, and how much they are??? I can not seem to find them on the net! Arg!

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEDagent:
OK...after revisiting the HID light cannon topics, i'm starting to get another itch - i think i'm gonna buy another light!
mad.gif

The reason i'm checkin out the LC is because i want another light to replace my Lectro-Science rechargeable Spotlight. My light is rated at 1 million CP but it only runs for 45-50 minutes. I love the fact though that it can light up object VERY far away.

Now, i don't want to get into a lengthy discussion about candlepower vs Lumens - so i don't want to compare the two in that manner. I want to know if they will have a similar "reach" of light. I believe It'd be kinda unfair to compare the two becuase the spotlight has a huge 6" reflector - right? But then again, HID is new territory for me so i wouldn't know exactly.

Please help me out, I LOVE bright lights like my spotlight. So far i haven't found anything that can match it's ability to throw light long distances. I'll tell you a GREAT story of one of my trips with this light in a later post.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
this is the best LC thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/
ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000485

Maybe you can get to it faster this way since I am not sure I pasted that correctly:
"UK Light Cannon = WOW!" 7/20/2001.

If someone would tell me how to do that thing where you say go "here" I'd do it that way instead of all the URL length...

here's another company that sells them: http://www.uk-cases-lights.com/UK_Detail.las?sku=UK-LC100pg&site=UK&prodType=optics

If you tried the other stuff on this thread and still can't get any info on it for some odd reason why not contact

Underwater Kinetics
(858)513-9100 Poway, CA
[email protected]

recercare

Enlightened
hmmm...the stadium 3 costs 360$ here. I have found a light that is cheaper here (Norway) than in USA! Amazing!

Btw.....the ones who turned the Stadium 3 into a flashlight kept the original components (including the battery), and "wrapped" it in a large lantern-like body. It looks pretty similar to Streamlight Vulcan.

recercare

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Hansen:
Are there any pictures off the rebuild ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm....i have seen the picture on the guy's hompage, but i can't find the URL

mad.gif

I'll have to look in my papers, i believe i wrote it down somewhere

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend uses the LC for Scuba diving, it works pretty well underwater, but otherwise I feel it was just as bright as my US, with a higher color temperature, and slightly larger beam at long distances.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks V8TOYOTA. Hey telephony i hear that you just got your Light Cannon. What do you think about it's "throw capability." I'm looking for something to replace my spotlight....would this do the job?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDAgent

I think that I can shed some light on this topic. Six months ago when the LC first came out, another member CPF had basically the same question as you. His name is Larry. Larry is LEO, and does much of the crime scene photography for his department.

He explained to me that when shooting night time accidents, that he would normally try to manouver his mobile, and use his automotive headlights to illuminated the desired area. But, if it were a ditch or gully off the road, we would then use his Streamlight SL35. He used a very simple technique. Shooting a 30 second exposure, he would use the SL35 much like a spray can, and paint the area with light.

28549909sqYxyFrzNA_ph.jpg

I think the enclosed photo tells the story. The plastic cups/cone markers are at distances of 100', 125', 175' and the telephone pole with the reflective bands was 200' from camera position

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting and Beautiful! I wish we would see more tests like this. Now... Is picture 2A with the SL35 a 30 second shot using the technique mentioned above? THe Light Cannon looks very weak compared to the SL35, it must be a VERY diffused light....but that raises another question, AND an eyebrow...

THe comparison between the LC and a Surefire M6 were pretty identical...is that the kind of performance i will see from a $300 light?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED agent,

The answer to your question is yes and no!

Remember Larry? He was also considering the UltraStinger. You know, 70,000cp versus the SL-35's 40,000. Based on numbers only, the US should have beat out the SL-35 by nearly a factor of 2. In reality, the even though the SL35 is ~ 1/2 as bright, the SL-35 did a better job painting the picture. Like using a magic marker versus a sharp pencil

Try this analogy... your job is to fill a 5 gallon bucket with water. Your choice of equiptment as follows.... a garden hose with 125 psi OR a 3 inch fire hose with only 60psi. The 3 inch fire hose delivers a much greater volume of water... get the picture?

At sort ranges, the M6 and the Light Cannon are both very bright. But over distances, the Light Cannon's beams spread out and in my opinion is not to useful beyond 75-100'

The light canon does well to light up an entire wall, the M6 will burn a nice 12 inch hole from the same distance.

recercare

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
The light canon does well to light up an entire wall, the M6 will burn a nice 12 inch hole from the same distance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now this is very confusing. The Light Cannon 100 has 6 degree beam angle while the M6 500 lumen has 11.4. The M6 is a little brighter, but i don't understand your comparison knowing that the M6's beam angle is double as wide as the LC.

blush.gif