ok help me with this project

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have a red orange led it can be driven at 1.4 amps im going to use 4 d batterys alkilnes 1..ok what resister do i need ??? 2... do ya think they will sell the resiter at radio shack?.3 what kinda run time will i get?.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you get the batteries in a series parellel setup instead?
if you used 2x2, and got 2.4V out of the batteries you would be really close to the voltage for the led.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dont think so since i have to bye the battery holder at radio shack.perhaps i can rewire it

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
ya you can rewire it :)
hacksaw , dremel tool, solder gun , some how.

or how about running 2 LEDs in series off 4 of the batteries in series? remembering that there might be electrical conduction on the Red (type) led bases.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
there is some kinda hook up from the back of the led it freaked me out at first lol looks like the plus side is conected to the heat sink.rewireing wont work i dont have no hack saw or dremel lol finaly got the soldering iron today was kinda happy about the iron but its a radio shack one seems kinda low quality but i was able to solder with it. i used the 15 watt setting

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
well if you run 1/2 the power through a resister, so you can run it on 4 batteries in seires, then you would be better off tossing out 2 of the batteries instead (i think).

the closer you can get to direct drive, the less waste you will have at any rate. dont they have 2xD holders now? its not to late to take it back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you can rewire that thing, with a wire cutter, some wire and a soldering gun. and they need to be totally rebuilt anyways to keep the rivets held still anyways , junk that they are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
oppps guess i can get a 2 d holder and direct drive it? perhaps wont draw 1.4 amps but im sure it will put out lots a light.this led is fun as hect

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o i didnt buy the holder yet lol looks like that a project for tomorow caus ehere comes a bad storm and im on bike

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
on alkies it would probably be ok with direct, if it was a bit low, then parellel another set of alkies into it.

if its ni-cads or something, it would probably work good too. or just a BIT of resistance like 1.8ohms total.
just using small wire to your connections can provide some free resistance for direct drive stuff.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hmmmm i just recalled biglots has energizer 2300 mah recharbles on sale for like 4 bucks for 2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gifperhaps them and a cheap 2 aa light will make fun mod

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, cheap and simple solution. DIODES.. It sounds like you are doing the same thing I did. LUX III R/O as bright as possible. M@g 3D with a 3watt rectifier diode in series with the LED. On alkys it is pulling 1.5ish amps. Diodes are cheap and work well.

JMHO
(Just My Humble Opinion)

Jeff

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh oh, 1.5, WITH a diode, ok so mabey dont Direct drive that thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif oops.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really want to run it off D cells, I have a few 4D holders around here that I have no need for. I can rewire one for using 2X2 in parallel-series for you...,.

In fact, I think I have some 8D holders--- Rewire that sucker to 4 X 2 and it will run for a LONG time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now, personally, I'm going the other direction: Building a R/O to run off a CR2 direct drive in a tiny brass light... (so far, the OPTIC is about the largest single piece /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:
If you really want to run it off D cells, I have a few 4D holders around here that I have no need for. I can rewire one for using 2X2 in parallel-series for you...,.

In fact, I think I have some 8D holders--- Rewire that sucker to 4 X 2 and it will run for a LONG time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now, personally, I'm going the other direction: Building a R/O to run off a CR2 direct drive in a tiny brass light... (so far, the OPTIC is about the largest single piece /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]darn that will be a cool little light id love to see it when it is done.im still waiting for dark to see the full efect of this baby lol i tryied it with 4 2016 was bright but i guess it draws to much for em.man there is so many ways to go with this gem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a one watt or a III?

Couple of years ago I did a 1 watt mod on one of those odd little aluminum Coleman 2AA flashlights. That was an easy but really cool mod... Sold that one to someone here at CPF.

I have one I and one III right now; Doing the tiny light with the 1 watt and thinking of using the III in something else... Probably a head lamp with switchable R/O, Cyan and white.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
My R/O is the 200-240lm bin. even though red light is not the best for lighting up green folliage, there are enough photons there to really light things up. It is a sight to behold.
Jeff