Is there any need for another flashlight ?

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Hi,

some might have seen my little mods in other threads.
Playing around with my lathe and some material I thought about building a little light from the scratch.
But as there are already so many lights for every purpose out, I am not sure if there is any need for another, and if for which type.
It should be something very special what is not already on the market and finally I should like it as I want to have fun in spending my rare free time for making it.
I could imagine in making a small light as big as the ORB RAW, KI or JIL but I would like to power it with a CR123 by keeping the tiny shape.
This afternoon I took a little piece of titan and started to make a sample head:

arsmachina.jpg

Even I like bare Al lights they are having some disadvantages. After all I read about, I also do not want to deal with anodisers at the moment. So I think TI could be a nice alternative even it is somewhat more expensive and a much harder job to machine.
I would like to use an UCL lens and a downturned McR-20 reflector but I am not sure about which light engine to use. DD, regulated, two steps or even with an UI? Every addition would make the light longer even the diameter would stay at 20mm.
I would make all metal parts by hand on my lathe, no CNC at all what would finally keep the number low because of the time it takes to make them.

So, now it is your turn.
Is that just a crazy idea and noone is interested?
Then I would probably make just a few for me and my friends.
Or might there really some people being interested in such a very limited run?

Thanks for your thoughts Jochen

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll definately be interested in one as long as i can get a *YO* Binned LuxIII, Keep it simple, I usually like 1-stage, full blast. using a NG1000 or NG700 would be cool or even an origonal BadBoy converter to save money. Definately would be a plus if a LiIon cell could be used instead of the standard lithium. I dont have much use for a light with a UI although they are nice. Bad thing is they are usually expensive and require certain switch arangements.

Put me down for #1

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regulated with 2 levels is my vote. That would be sweet. but it's up to you and the work you want to put into it..

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reason for my suggestions: This is made of Ti, so it can be durable, and be a good EDC/Work light. Regulation makes it very nice when you are working on something and don't want it to start dimming down. 2 levels is good for EDC when you don't need to suck the batteries down.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regulated would definately prolong battery life. But it would definately add to the work envolved and even a tiny bit to the overall size. Remember how small the Arc LS's were with the single 123 twistie? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Easiest way would be to use a 2-stage twistie with a resistor like the Mc2se or whatever the name was. I found those kind of troublesome when using the momentary on function.

Shane

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Regulated and two levels I second /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... and keep the brightness reasonable as I heard Ti is a relatively poor thermal conductor.
Put me down for number #2 as long as it can run on primary cells ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
bernie

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. You must be talking about my fantasy light-basically an Aleph 2 on a Vital Gear or Aleph 1 cell body in bead blasted Ti for lots of character, and to match the small Sebenza /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
ArsMachina said

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably make just a few for me and my friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you would suddenly have a lot of "friends"!

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
ArsMachina said

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably make just a few for me and my friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you would suddenly have a lot of "friends"!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yourself included Mr. Charlie? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shane

Amorphous

Enlightened
Titanium light, finally!! Been asking for this on CPF for a long time, but the challenge is to keep the heat down, and not too many dull tools. There are too many twisties here at CPF, so a small switch on the body (not the tail) and keep the size small (ex. KI, Neoca, ORB, Jil, FF1) is the next frontier. Electronic wise, I think POP2 is a sagacious choice. (Adjustable low, constant high 600mA, 7Hz flash, SOS ) The switch will play a very vital role on the user control of the light. When K2 LED is available, then this will be one awesome light.

I am very interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
ArS,

Would definitely be interested; would be interested in a "low" setting!

jeffb

ArsMachina

Enlightened
OK, it seems I have to go this way now ;-)
Unfortunately this was the only piece of TI I was owning, so I could not finish a complete light today.
I found a tube of carbon and thought it might fit the TI but I was wrong:

carbon.jpg

But I already ordered some more Titanium as well as some machining tools I need for threading.
And I also ordered a POP2 to test it in my upcoming case.
The reflectors I ordered to convert my LionCubs will now also go another way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Probably I will buid some lights using different lightengines to do camparisation, one of them will also be a downturned McGizmo 750mA Lux-V /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I am a great fan of the switch at Charlie's Lions, but I see no chance at the moment to adopt such a switch to this tiny light. A tailswitch is also not an alternative for me, so it wil remain a twistie, at least for the beginning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I do also not favourise a two step twist switch, as I feel them a mess to use - having my BlackBird in mind. I want to make a twistie, that allows one hand operation with three fingers, like the RAW does. I don't want to need two hand to opeate the light. This will also mean I will not use an O-Ring between head and tube, because this makes the operation too sticky for my taste (again compare operation of the RAW and perhaps JIL). This will also mean this will not become a diving lamp at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I know many would like to see a lanyard hole, even I don't like them and will carry such a light in my jeans pocket as the TI is durable enough for not showing any wear. I am thinking about to second this durability also for the glass in using saphire ;-)
But I will probably make a tube with lanyard hole as an option later.
I am having so many shelf queens, this shall be a light which one can use without scrathing glass, polished bare Al or some anodisation.

Ah, there was the question about N-cells:
Definitively not ;-)
I am having two N-Cell lights and both are performing very poor. I think a reasonable reflector should not be below 20mm diameter. This diameter also allows to use the more powerful CR123 instead of the CR2 with the only disadvantage of beiing 7mm longer...

Please continue in giving suggestions and tell me your wishes, the more alternatives I see the better I can choose from them.

Jochen

FRANKVZ

Enlightened
I'm interested. DD using 4sevens mod on the raw would keep length down and Hi would still work even if switch gives out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Jochen,

Your lathe skills are certainly doing quite well - first you fix that Aleph 2 head, and now this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I may be interested in a Ti light, given that it's got current regulation of 500mA or so, 2-stage switch is nice but not needed. No need for fancy features like the POP board has got, since I'd never be using them, anyway.

If you're going with Titanium do not go past 500mA. The thermal transfer of that metal is far less than ideal, compared to aluminum or copper, so you don't want too much heat coming out of the LED.

If you're familiar with the McLux III PD, the high mode of the light is 580mA, and it's plenty bright at that level.

In the end, taking suggestions from the masses of the CPF will get you no where, though. Every person has their own opinion on what's 'right' and you won't get a definitive answer. Do what it is you want to do, and then see if anyone wants something like it - it's your project, don't let others dictate it. Otherwise, you'll end up with an elephant, and a pink one at that, as someone said in one of my threads on the CR2 Ion some time ago.

Good luck with the build, it's looking good so far! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
get it designed to fit a standard 14mm sandwich for versatility... i would make 2-3 levels, but that's my game.. i might be able to make you the light engines for it.. and i would make it short as possible to fit an R123.. 'twistie' style for on and brightness... i have a specific light-engine designed to have infinitely variable brightness.. but only works in a 'twistie' light (no spring).. ala arc AA

-awr

cgpeanut

Enlightened
Count me in for #3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ArsMachina, your light looks very nice! As for the converter who knows, judging from the pace we are in I'm sure we'll have some more options for you to consider.

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Hi,

here comes the last update until I got new Titanium and the POP2.
I turned down an Aleph Lux-V LE and fired it up with the RAW tube using a LiIon 123. WOW terrific light out of such a tiny toy, but within a minute you got burned fingers ;-)
This is definitively no way to go for a run, but for sure it will be come a gimmick light for me to keep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

tiv.jpg

Enrique, if you would have been faster with your CR2-ion I would not need to make my own light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Yes, fixing the Aleph 2 head from you was my first step in working on flashlights, then two little mods and now I want to make a complete flashlight case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Sure I cannot make a light which will make everyone happy, but I already got some suggestions which will help me a lot.
Finally it will become "my light" and whoever also likes it can get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

andrewwynn, you got PM ;-)

Until soon Jochen