Removing a lens from a SF turbohead?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering what tools you guys use to remove the lens from a Surefire turbohead, specifically a KT2? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, why in the world would do you want to remove the glass lens(if that's what you mean) from the KT2? Did you get gunk in there that you want get rid of or did you explode a lamp running rechargables?

Nick

vontech

Newly Enlightened
I too need some advice for cleaning the inside of the lens on the Surefire KT-2 Turbohead. The inside of the lens is a bit dusty, and it does not appear that I will be able to remove the outer retaining ring over the lens with needle nose pliers (it's almost 2" in diameter), without damaging, or at least scratching either the bezel or the lens.

Is there some kind of special WRENCH that I can purchase to take apart bezels of various sizes, including this one? I've wanted to remove the retaining rings (if that is what they are called) from several different lights, and it would be nice to have a tool to do this.

I'm really not too concerned about low cost, as long as the tool will accomplish the task.

Thanks!

Tom

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I made a 6-pin tool to take apart my non-crenalated M6, and I still had to use a heat gun to get the sealant to break loose. If the K2 is the same (lens retention) as the older M6, I can loan the tool.

Larry

vontech

Newly Enlightened
Larry,

If there is no commercial tool easily available for me to purchase, I would really appreciate the loan of your custom tool.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

I'll PM you my address now...

Thanks, Larry!

Tom

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I'll mail it tuesday, Tom. I had to use a heat gun and get the whole M6 head pretty hot before the ring would unscrew. If the tool fits and you suceed, take careful note of the order of all the shock-absorbing components behind the lens. I thought I had, but when the time came to reassemble it, I had to figure it out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Larry

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the KT2 doesn't have the shock isolation pad inside but the retention ring is indeed the same as the old millenium one.
I also had to make my own tool to open turboheads... because of my lack of machinery, I used that four bucks plumber's two part hardening epoxy paste thing (mold in the shape of the ring inside some plastic wrap before it solidifies) and some hot water for the locktite. Man, was that a pain in the neck...
Oh and yeah, Larry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gifs. I'd give you mine but I'm pretty sure I lost it somewhere in my giant mess.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
My "tool" is pretty simple- I measured the spacing of the notches, rough-sawed a 2.5"-square piece of 1/2" delrin sheet, and used the mill to locate/drill 6 holes for 3/32" dia dowel pins. If anyone else needs it, chime-in before Tom is done with it.

Larry

AtomSphere

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
vontech said:
I too need some advice for cleaning the inside of the lens on the Surefire KT-2 Turbohead. The inside of the lens is a bit dusty, and it does not appear that I will be able to remove the outer retaining ring over the lens with needle nose pliers (it's almost 2" in diameter), without damaging, or at least scratching either the bezel or the lens.

Is there some kind of special WRENCH that I can purchase to take apart bezels of various sizes, including this one? I've wanted to remove the retaining rings (if that is what they are called) from several different lights, and it would be nice to have a tool to do this.

I'm really not too concerned about low cost, as long as the tool will accomplish the task.

Thanks!

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

simply buy a can of compressed air to blow it all out