e1e versus e1l

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
As Im building up my collection Ive gotten pretty interested in the surefire e1e, especially after reading about its flexibility. I would want it for something I could carry with me in my pocket or toss in my briefcase or backpack. I was thinking of getting the e1e and the KL1 led but is there really a reason not to just get the e1l? If I had the e1e and the KL1 head would there be any reason to use the incandescent head that comes on the e1e? I think it is a lot clearer for the e2e since that incandescent head has a lot of output and throw. Thanks for any insight.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go for the e1l. You dont have to worry about the LED burning out, the runtime is longer, the light is brighter, and it throws further. There is less sidespill with the e1l. If you need sidespill.. then I wouldnt go with the e1l.

-tom

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would only get the E1e/KL1 combo if I was planning on modding the incandescent head. Then I would end up with one head with decent throw (KL1) and one to suit another need (flood, semi-flood w/ hotspot, red or amber LED, etc). But then, if I'm going to carry the extra head around I would just as soon carry a second light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could mod the E1e head with a 3.7v bulb and run a R123a in it. That should come close to the output of the E2e. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
You could mod the E1e head with a 3.7v bulb and run a R123a in it. That should come close to the output of the E2e. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, is that as easy as buying the replacement bulb for the e2e and installing it in the head for the E1E or do you have to cut, shape or otherwise modify the bezel/head? Thanks.

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
I think the new KL1 head sucks frankly. I sold mine. It has NO flood, which makes it pretty worthless considering it doesn't throw enough to be really effective.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
What other mass made 56$ LED throw's WAY more then a KL-1?
Got a aleph 2 1x123 a CPFer loaned me with a 500 ma nexgen that doesn't. Much better beam, real nice spill, beautiful light. I intend one getting soon, but it didn't out throw 2 of my three KL-1's on 1x123 VG body. (nor did my former Inova T-1,2, and a 5 just barely)

MY advice is the E1e is a nice little light that adding a
KL-1 on a 123 is a great tighter out door light with very good throw. not much spill but, the beam open's after 15 20 ft and makes a fine walking light, and it throw a lot, and with the TIROS optic it has a very cutting beam good for spoting. does not seem to wash out like reflectored lux's
of similar power. And actually a similar reflectored light
need's more power to match the KL-1.
Not that I have anything against reflector's,, my main light is a HDS basic 60.

Gadget, always be wary of blanket statments. try both out if you can, and pick.
also review sight's as flashlight reviews .com and LED musemum are good unbiased info. VDG

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the E1e for a few months before upgrading to the 3rd-generation KL1. In my opinion, the MN01 just doesn't cut it both in terms of output and runtime.

The new KL1 head makes it a very much harder decision about what to buy given the points above, however if you do get an E1L *PLEASE* do yourself a favor and spend the money for the F04 beamshaper. You get 3rd-gen flood performance with some throw when you need it plus extra protection for the bezel edges so that the HA doesn't rub off so easily. Surprisingly it does not detract very much from the appearance of the light.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chevrofreak makes E series lamps modded with the 3.6v stinger bulb. I think some more will be available soon through JS Burlys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Boris

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
however if you do get an E1L *PLEASE* do yourself a favor and spend the money for the F04 beamshaper. You get 3rd-gen flood performance with some throw when you need it plus extra protection for the bezel edges so that the HA doesn't rub off so easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree! It's the best upgrade for an E1L or an E2L. I have the E2L, and i use it most of the time with the beamshaper.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the E1l and beam-shaper. I love the beam of the 4th gen, but sometimes I need flood, so I got the third generation.

-David

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the beamshaper make it bulky? Would you be able to have it perched in your pocket?

Bob

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really. The beamshaper adds virtually nothing to the head other than make it a tiny bit thicker than it usually is. I carried the beamshaper on my 3rd-gen E1e+KL1 (my EDC in addition to the U2) for a day just to get a feel of whether the beamshaper would change the dynamics of the light - it was virtually unnoticeable.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. After all of this I ended deciding to get the e1e. I got to the store, looked at the lights and am now the proud owner of - neither. I ended up with an e2e /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I really like it thusfar. I'll probably end up with the e1e eventually as well, but not immediately, some other things that will probably be higher on the list