SL20XP help?

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SL20XP that I put a SL35 lamp in, and had a 2400mAH battery built for to get back run time. I noticed last night when comparing it to a LEO with the new LED, Incandecent version that it was not as bright, and the the color has yellowed. So my question is this...What mod can I do, or what can I do to make this into a blinding flame thrower that will really impress me?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your 35X LA isn't as bright as a stock SL-20XP? The 35X is 20W and the stock is 8W. Something isn't right here...

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a battery stick problem. Either a) your stick has a bad cell or b) your charger is not charging it. The SL-35X LA is much brighter than the SL-20X LA.

You say you had the stick made. Have you contacted the maker and asked for some support? If it's 2.4Ah, then it's likely to still be nicad and should not present a problem with the charger.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh,
If you use a slow charger and want a 3.7Ah nimh stick to try, drop me a PM. I don't build them anymore but if you pay for the cells and shipping I'll build you a stick and you can see what a SL-35X is supposed[/i to look like. I've been using a 3.3Ah GP stick in my SL-15X and it's doing just fine. 3.7Ah sticks in the Ultrastinger have been outstanding performers.

Phase,
Does the SL-20XP stick use the connectors and top contacts or is it a top and bottom contact like the SL-20X? I just can't remember. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a chance to have a NiMh built for it but I was told that the stock charger would probably not charge it as NiMh's take a hotter charger than the Nicads. Also that the higher mAh would only increase run time, and not actual power to the lamp. Does this seem right? If so, how can I check to see if there is a bad cell in the stick?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an SL-35X that's considerably dimmer than a stock Magcharger. The culprit in my case seems to be a very high-hours LA. Highly silvered--lots of heat but not a lot of light.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right,

Good point ABT, do check the bulb for darkening. That would be the filament pasting itself to the bulb and sucking up the light.

Bravo,

If it's a dumb trickle charger, the standard slow rate of 180mA should be fine for 3700mAh nimh cells. Good nimh cells absolutely improve the brightness at least by measurement. I use high current nimh cells and they deliver longer duration and higher voltage than the stock units. Runs longer and is brighter. How noticeable the increased brightness is, is subtle and depends on the bulb.

Wilkey