L1 Switch Problem

Lumen

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem.
My L1 would not turn on the high beam.
I can twist the switch all the way on, but it still stays on low beam.
The only way I can get the high beam to come on is to press the momentary on button.
When I release my finger the light goes back to low beam. Can this be fixed without having to send light back to Surefire?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
It probably needs cleaning. I usually use Q-Tips, cotton balls and alcohol. Clean the threads in the tailcap, head, body and contact points. You can use a pencil eraser on the contact points in the head and tail.

Lubricate the o-rings after cleaning.

Try a new battery too.

Lumen

Newly Enlightened
I've tried everything you said, but still to no avail.
I took the switch off and shook it and there is some play with the spring.
I can pull the spring in and out about 1/8".
Is this normal?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I had to get my L1 to check. I can move the spring in and out, so I guess this is normal.

I'm not sure what else to try. I think it's a contact issue. Maybe some one else can shed some light on this.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
It sounds like the tail cap is bottoming out prior to the rear tube lip making sufficient contact with the low contact leaf springs to force them to close on the high contacts on the PCB. Are the leaf springs still in good shabe or have they possibly broken off?

Al's suggestion is a sure solution!

Lumen

Newly Enlightened
The springs still look intact to me. I'll go with Al's idea. I hope they can just ship me a tailcap without having to send the light in. I sent a light into Surefire one time, and it was about 2 months before I saw it again. Thanks all for the info. And it's THE McGizmo himself! Thanks again!