Whats so special about superflashlights?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
? I mean the custom ones that look like the hyperlux V. The runtime seems decent, and the quality looks excellent, but why 300$? Is it b/c it is a collectors item? I wasthinking about investing in one if it is worth the money.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Depends on your definition for a Superflashlight.
They are called such because there is something special, but this speciality can vary widely, e.g. rarity, quality, signerd+numbered, ...
bernie

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the SF3 on etendues website for 297$. I am guessing the price was based mostly upon its rarity?

Likebright

Enlightened
Just look at this sucker!

This was mine till I sold it and now I am a much uglier man from punching my self in the head for doing so.
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit its a very pretty light. OK, its BEAUTIFUL. but 300$? I dont think so....

InFlux

Enlightened
Well, part of the cost certainly is it's rarity (only 25 were ever made).

The most obvious advantage is the custom body made by TnC. The body has a raised "combat-grip" that makes it very easy to hold onto. The body was formed from a solid piece of aircraft alluminum that was milled into it's distinctive shape. And it's got a nice thick layer of HA-III.

Add to that, I believe most of them utilized the (then brand new)SuperDown Converter by ArcMania and hand picked LED's.

Sure it's not inexpensive, but it's a super heavy duty and efficient custom light. I believe that they sold for around $230 when new- and the SDC's may have been extra.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that an improved SF III+ is available for considerably less than $300 from ARC mania. They are new and available now.

The cool factor of the Super Flashlight III light makes the light worth having. But that is not all. The build is excellent inside and out. The whole light is massive and has a nice, heavy, feel to it. You should see the thickness of the body. Yup, very heavy duty. You'd need to see the light in person to see how overbuilt the light is. The light feels like a quality piece of machining. And the light is good and rare.

It is a big light and feels good in the hand. It makes an excellent 'door knocker.' The light with a SuperDownConverter (SDC) makes the light perfect for running 2xCR123A or a Pila 168S (17650) cell.

As for a $300-ish price for the light I think that is high. But if that is what the market is paying for the light then I suppose you could get about the same price if you sell it. If you owned the light I really don't think you'd be selling it. I know my SF III+ light would be one of the last ones I would sell if I had to.

You wouldn't have to pay the $300 price if the newer version that was better and cost less were available now. The light even comes with its custom designed holster that holds an extra battery.

The SF III+ has a new body and a more efficient SDC 1000 (buck converter). I use CR123A primary cells, JSBurlys 3.0V rechargeable cells and Pila 168S (17650) cell in my light.

While ARC mania is waiting for the KI-T lights to have the laser engraving done he has the parts and the time to make Super Flashlight III+.

I know I like my SF III+.

cpfup8pv.jpg

Shultze

Newly Enlightened
Jesus H Christ, those SF III sure are beautiful! Never saw them before. Aaw poop man, yet another thing that will keep me awake at night.

nethiker

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Shultze,

We have a great community here and I hope you find it so as well. One thing I especially enjoy is that this is a place for everyone of all ages. To help keep it this way I hope you would better consider your words. There are some who would find using Jesus's name as an exclamation offensive and swear words are simply not appropriate here. Judging by your other posts, I don't think this is your normal style. When you do want to use more colorful language in the future, there is always the underground.

Greg

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erick,

I would strongly agree with Nethiker on both counts, it is against forum policy and the common decency that CPF has tried to cultivate.

I appreciate the feeling behind the words, but as my southern born and bred father taught me, "swearing is a poorly educated mind trying to express something beyond it's comprehension." I seriously doubt that to be the case with Schultze and so believe that he could express himself more eloquently and appropriately for the forum.

Bill

LowWorm

Enlightened
Ditto what bwaites and nethiker said - CPF is exceptional because of the respectful tone of the posts.

Back OT, I've never seen the SFIII before - it is really an incredible light! People pay a premium for exceptional quality, and from what TrueBlue and LazerBurnz say, it seems like that quality warrants whatever people are willing to pay for it.

We all have our threshold for pain, and for some, shelling out $300 a flashlight isn't as injurious to the wallet as it would be to others.

Shultze

Newly Enlightened
Erick, I'm with you.

But, since I'm new and all, of course I can express myself without swearing and will do so in the future. Regarding Jesus, I will keep that in mind aswell. I'm not religious at all and it's just an expression I and people where I live often use, in Swedish though. Anyway, thanks for the holler.

Regarding the prize. I could consider paying that amount for a really good, rare and high quality flashlight. Couldn't bring that amount up just right now though since I'm pretty new to the flashlight..scene. Spending much on blades and other gear now.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a rich man by any monetary means, but I have myself considered buying an SFIII. The thing that mostly caught my attention, aside from it's handsome appearance, is the way in which the rarity of the LED was emphasized. I'm not sure where I read the description, but the thought of having *the best and rarest* 3w LED, that is much whiter and brighter than any other, pretty much caught my fancy. I'd really love to see one in action. For those that own one, how would you say it compares to one of the Surefire 5 watters? (throw, flood)

I thought those Hyperlux V's were only around $150.??

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fraen 6 degree optic in my SFIII+. There are advantages to having an optic in a light. An optic is heavier duty than a reflector. Have you ever seen a reflector peel its coating off? It is not pretty and there is nothing you can do to save it. Optics do not have coatings to peel off.

In my light the beam is a cross between a Lux III and a Lux V beam. My SFIII+ has more of a flood beam than a Lux III/reflector but more throw and less flood than a Lux V/reflector. It is a very useful beam.