The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refused service at a restaurant tonight

Default Refused service at a restaurant tonight

The title says it all. This tough-looking young waitress with spikey hair refused to wait on me while she fawned all over the other guests seated nearby, most of which had arrived well after I did. After waiting 30 minutes and not even getting a simple "hello," it was abundandly clear that there was some kind of an attitude problem going on so I stormed out of the place, but not before giving a piece of my mind to the startled greeters at the front door. I've just now shot off a note to their corporate office with all of the details.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Refused service at a restaurant tonight

Racial Prejudice? That's really strange and maddening. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I hope something comes of that letter to their office.

-Brad

Flashaholic*

Why do you feel you were refused?

It wasn't racial... we're of the same race (caucasian). It must have been something else. She gave me a really strange look when she first came over, and that was the last time we ever made eye contact. I have a couple of theories but I'd rather not speculate publicly.

In the past I might have let something like this slip by, but ever since 9/11 I'm finding that I have a much lower tolerance for bull**it behavior. We'll see what I hear from their Corporate office on Monday.

BTW, no it wasn't Denny's.

Photon, obviously this girl already knew you [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

lol, sorry, I think you're not allowed to post without speculating on your "theories" cause if you don't tell us, I think we're going to start making up our own...

You should have spoken to the manager at that store at the time and gotten an explanation!

Flashaholic*

How did you know I was thinking Denny's??
    Topper

Because this kind of thing has happened on more than one or two occasionns at Denny's. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

Was it because you look like a squirrel?

best regards

Flashaholic*

OK I thought it was just me and a couple pals once in Columbus Ga. I have not been back in a Denny's after that.
    Topper

[ QUOTE ]
    James S said:
    Photon, obviously this girl already knew you [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

lol, sorry, I think you're not allowed to post without speculating on your "theories" cause if you don't tell us, I think we're going to start making up our own...

You should have spoken to the manager at that store at the time and gotten an explanation!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to but he was tied up with a long line of customers at the cash register at the moment, and by then I just wanted to get the hell out of there. I also didn't want to cause a scene near the other customers. It wouldn't have been fair to them.

I've never seen that woman before in my life; I think she was a new-hire there. I've been to that place many times before and I'd always had a pleasant experience prior to today. I suspect that this particular individual isn't well suited for the service industry... at least not on the front lines.

I don't get it. It's not like I was dressed poorly, or drooling, or had a string hanging out of my nose or anything.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

tough-looking young waitress with spikey hair
    There you go next time drool and you might get a table.
    Topper [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Topper said:
    tough-looking young waitress with spikey hair
    There you go next time drool and you might get a table.
    Topper [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img] Thanks Topper, I needed a laugh tonight. Yeah, next time I'll bring the studded leather neckband...

Flashaholic*

Good thing you left, she would of likely spit in your food or screw up your order.

In my younger days it was common for food lion to close an isle as I was just up at the register. I would just walk off and shop another day. Nice knowing someone had a full cart to put back up. Also in the early days of walmart in the richmond area I use to hear the security calls overhead ratttling off zones for the cameras to monitor, I would pace the store hitting all departments and it was as if they are following me. Of course I hate it when folks start to crowd around you, so I will circle an isle and come back to the section i was looking at. I often thought many of those "shoppers" were undercover security people.

Being in a chair the past 9 years its hit or miss. I am white, however I wonder the way some treat me. Most men think I am a vet, younger women irgnore me while the older ones are more than willing to help or talk about their family. Police officers give me the usual drill of questions then tell me to have a nice day. Henrico cops do that a lot, RIchmond cops just say high.

[ QUOTE ]
    cobb said:
    Good thing you left, she would of likely spit in your food or screw up your order.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I was thinking also. Even if I managed to get her attention there's a good chance that I would've been given the "Chef's surprise" in my meal.

[ QUOTE ]

Being in a chair the past 9 years its hit or miss. I am white, however I wonder the way some treat me. Most men think I am a vet, younger women irgnore me while the older ones are more than willing to help or talk about their family. Police officers give me the usual drill of questions then tell me to have a nice day. Henrico cops do that a lot, RIchmond cops just say high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent a month in a chair once and it was an eye-opener for me. The biggest problem I had was that people would act as if I was invisible and would talk "around" me while engaged in a group conversation. Most aggravating, and it taught me a new respect for those who need to rely on wheels to get around.

Did this incident happened at Denny ? What was her body language toward you?

*Flashaholic*

thats what we all get when people tip when there is little to no tippable service.
    course i tip them extra if they go away and dont bother me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    picard said:
    Did this incident happened at Denny ? What was her body language toward you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not Denny's but a smaller regional chain. Her body language was complete avoidance! No eye contact, never faced me directly, breezed right past me several times on her way to take care of customers sitting adjacent to me.

sorry that happened pw.i hate eating out.im glad ya compaliend to head office i bet ya will at least get a free meal .

Flashaholic*

PW glad I helped a little
    I hope you get a chance to go back to speak to the manager when you and they are not to busy.
    Topper

[ QUOTE ]
    Topper said:
    PW glad I helped a little
    I hope you get a chance to go back to speak to the manager when you and they are not to busy.
    Topper

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks; I plan to stop back there once I've gotten the initial angst out of my system. I'd rather approach them with a cooler head. After all, the rest of the staff is pretty nice and generally strives to do a good job. This is just a single bad apple.

I guess that the best way is to make formal complaint to head office. You have to act belligerent in order to get any response from head office.
    Is this common occurance in your city photowrangler? Was the waitress a younger or older woman? Young waitress tend to be inexperience in serving customers.

ah, I re-read your original message. she was a punk looking woman. Punk kids tend to be cocky, arrogant who have attitude problem.

Yes, she was young and punkish. I don't think she's going to last there long as that place is supposed to be a family restaurant and her demeanor is really out of place there.

[ QUOTE ]
    PhotonWrangler said:
    The title says it all. This tough-looking young waitress with spikey hair refused to wait on me while she fawned all over the other guests seated nearby, most of which had arrived well after I did. After waiting 30 minutes and not even getting a simple "hello," it was abundandly clear that there was some kind of an attitude problem going on so I stormed out of the place, but not before giving a piece of my mind to the startled greeters at the front door. I've just now shot off a note to their corporate office with all of the details.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. You seem to be upset enough about this to post, however when asked questions below, you don't want to answer in public? It doesn't make sense. You seem to have some theory as to why this occurred, however you don't want to talk about it. So, why post in the 1st place? Help us understand.

Sorry Nascar, I guess I'm just venting. I think that either she had mistaken me for someone else (I've been told that I have a couple of lookalikes in town) or it was a weird s*xual thing. Either way it shouldn't matter for a paying customer who just wants to have a quiet meal without having to carry someone's else's baggage with it.

I find that the least offensive answer is often the correct one.

My guess is that your table was near the boundries of two stations (waitress territories) and both waitresses thought you belonged to the other. This has happened to me several times. If I don't get greated by a server within 5 minutes I snag a passing employee and ask for my server. Works every time.

New workers are often given a smaller station than normal. They are also more likely to avaoid eye contact with people who are not assigned to their station. They have not yet honed the skill where they walk past briskly with a smile and murmered hello that keeps you from asking for something.

Unless you were openly offensive, there is no reason to think that you were being personally punished or insulted.

I've worked in a variety of restraunts, and never seen an instance where any employee messed with the food. I take that back. I've seen a dropped hamburger patty go back on the grill. He was fired.

Let us know how it turns out, OK?

Daniel

Thanks for your input, Daniel. I'm still mulling this over and trying to find a logical reason and your input helps.

No, I wasn't offensive to her. I never even got a chance to say hello to her!

I have experienced the "boundary" issue many times so I was careful to take note of who was handling what, and she was handling tables on either side of me as well as across from me, so I don't think it was a boundary thing but I'll think it over some more.

The only other clue that I have is that all of the patrons that she was waiting on were on the heavy side (and so was the waitress herself). I was the only slender individual involved here. Could she just hate skinny people?
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

I eat at restaurants almost daily. Once in a while, I get ignored. The reason is usually:
    1. I'm pretty quiet and low-key and they forget I'm there.
    2. The waiter goes on break or off-shift and I don't get a replacement.
    3. I'm by myself and they assume that I'm waiting for someone else to join me before I order.

I once had a waitress fawning over me while a couple near me got ignored. I have to admit, it was a nice change of pace!

I eat at one Boston Market weekly and they forget about me so regularly it's like a running joke. They give me free lunches or desserts every time it happens. Last time, I just gave the free lunch back, but I place myself more conspicuously now.

'Reminds me of a time when I was out to lunch with some coworkers. We were seated in a timely fashion and our order was taken promptly ... then we watched the waitress try to hook up with some guy over playing pool and come back to our table every 5-10 minutes and say that our food wasn't ready yet.

Funny, she never left to check with the kitchen and we saw no other sign of communication with the kitchen.

This went on for almost 50 minutes (hour lunch break) then out food arrives somewhat cold and we're given some BS line about how the kitchen was really shorthanded. We're all in training at a new job, so we cannot afford to be late from lunch.

No tip for her, and we've never been back. We debated going back before our meal arrived - we were cutting things that close.

Yeah, PW, don't let it eat you. (no pun intended)

Chances are the waitress just blew it. As for station boundries, they are not always contiguous. The wait-people hate it when they have tables spread over a large area since that means more work. Managers sometimes spread out the stations so that the restraunt looks busy during slow times, or to favor one waitress over another, among other reasons.

Because my mom and step-dad were in the business, I tend to notice seating charts and things like that.

If it helps any, you are not alone. My wife and I went to Lake Tahoe, Nevada to gamble and relax for a week. During that week we won over $2500 (including the 6 inch tall holograph pictured in my avatar) but never had a single meal where something did not go wrong. Slow food, cold food, slow waiters, incorrect checks, wrong orders, broken coffee machine.... you name it, we had it. Too bad you were not gambling that day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Daniel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast