SL20....and Streamlight / Surefire alternative

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
I grew up with an SL20 in the family. Used for everything from finding the cat to flash light tag. I still have it today, 25 years later. A testament to the build quality.

I bought a new SL20 and noticed the beam pattern was very different. It wasn't as tightly focused as my older streamlight. I took pictures and sent them to Streamlight and they said they have a different reflector manufacturer now. I like the old tighter beam pattern (more throw?). Are there any replacement reflectors/bulbs that mimic the old throw?

I was looking for a more compact light like the Stinger XT. Then I learned of Surefire flashlights (living under a rock?). I'm only interested in rechargeables. Maybe the Surefire 8ax would be good? Bottom line is I want a very bright rechargeable flashlight with a long throw and tight beam. Any suggestions?

matthewdanger

Enlightened
How about the Stinger HP or Stinger XT HP. They are identical to the Stinger except they have a much larger reflector (more throw) and a different bulb. Also the Streamlight Strion is one heck of a light. I would definitely check it out at FlashlightReviews.com

On a related note for those in the know: Can a regular Stinger bulb be used with the HP head?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would tend to stay away from Surefire rechargables. After handling a 10X, its really awkward and expensive and it still uses a NiCad stick.

For throw a Magcharger with upgraded stick and a new bulb will yeild a LOT of lumens, but again, its fairly big.

An 8 inch Tigerlight with upgraded battery and a new lamp assembly will throw far! (My stock Tigerlight beats my Surefire M6 with HOLA in terms of throw.)

Not knocking on Streamlight, I own a Scorpion myself and had a few other Streamlight's that were given as gifts or sold off. The SL Ultra Stinger may be a bit long too but it does have good throw, if you want to stick to SL. The Strion is small, really tiny when compared to other rechargables, but it doesn't output as much as the big boys.

Here are some links
Tigerlight Gold upgrades

Magcharger and Tigerlight upgrades
Mag vs Tiger
Tiger11+ vs Tigerlight

There are a lot of threads dealing with Magchargers and Tigerlights, the above was just a little preview of these threads.

I find that ~$100-$130 for a Tigerlight or Magcharger and then modifications (another estimation of $80-$100) will yield superior results to a stock Streamlight, heck my Tigerlight alone puts out a sheeet load of light at a cost to me of about $125 2 years ago. Its been beat up, dropped, and throw, it is still going strong.

I find the Magcharger a bit tooo long though at the size of about a 3D Mag. A Magcharger sits at 12 1/2 inches long while the Tigerlight is 8 inches. The Stinger HP is 8 5/16 inches long, Strion is 5 5/16, and the Ultrastinger being 11 5/8 inches long.

The above taken from here.

Good luck,
Jason

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi boostmiser and welcome-

If you are looking for throw in a rechargeable you might consider the Inova T4.

This light is almost pure throw with minimal spill. Comes with both AC & 12V chargers. Good run time and like all Inovas a solid well made light. Under $100.

It is much smaller and lighter than any of the SL20 variants, and of course it is an LED.

This is my first rechargeable, and I really like it.

Mark

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replys. Looks like I've got some more researching to do. I still like Streamlight products. Pound for pound, do they out perform the Surefire's in candlepower/lumens?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
boostmiser,

That last is a TOUGH question.

The build quality isn't comparable. Surefire just eats up just about every other mass produced light.

However, for that quality there is a price, and Surefire is not famous for their rechargeables!

If you want a long throwing, smooth beamed light in rechargeable form, than an SL20 with the SL35 lamp assembly is a good option. The next would be a specialty option of a modified Carley reflector with a ring potted WelchAllyn 1160 and an upgraded NiMH battery pack for the SL20.

The SL35 lamp assembly is easy, the other is not, but can be found if you talk nicely to the right people.

So many lights and mods, so little time!!

Bill

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
Relating to the pound for pound question: I was thinking about how bright they are. Surefire markets that certain lights will temp. blind an opponent. I haven't seen Streamlight advertise that. At what point lumens/candlepower does this temp. blindness occur? Can the Streamlight also temp. blind an opponent. I think the answer is ~50 lumens.

Based on my research, I think I'm going to do the following. Purchase a Streamlight Strion because of it's light output, tight beam and it's rechargeable. Purchase a Surefire A2 and case of batteries for an emergency light. Then purchase a new battery pack for my SL20. I had two SL20's, one of which was stolen. The other was my 25 yr. old model that's been just sitting around with no battery. Time to fire that baby back up. Thanks all. Comments welcome

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Surefire has said in their documents that they recommend at least 60 lumens to acheive the temp. blindness. Surefire likes to advertise this but their lights are certainly not the only lights that will do this.

The Strion is no slouch. I am sure no one will want to look directly into it with dark adjusted eyes.

Steve C

Enlightened
boostmiser,

I too have an ancient SL-20 (purchased in 1978). It has led a long, hard life; been rebuilt three times, etc. It still works, but I have found that the smaller lights are good enough for what I need these days.

That's a long way to say that I have two new, unused old-style SL-20 reflector/bulb assemblies still in the original boxes. They will never get used (by me). They sold for about $20 each when I bought them (I have no idea what new ones go for now), so I'll trade you both for a NIB SureFire G2. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

You'll love that A2. It is, without a doubt, the best general-purpose flashlight I've come across yet; and I've been using flashlights professionally since 1978.

In fact, I'd buy it first and use it a while BEFORE I invested in a new rechargeable light. With 123s as cheap as they are these days, you just might realize you don't NEED no steenkin' recgargeable light...:)