UV lights like the new Aleph 19 .

cdf

Enlightened
What are the practical applications / ramifications of the Aleph 19 and similar devices ? I can see they might be handy tools for the document examiner, the entimologist , and people who have to spend a lot of time in motel rooms .

Whats up with these devices. What advantages do they offer . What will they do and not do . Should I get one ? I've seen the beam shots , but without knowing more about the context and intent , I must admit I dont really know what I'm looking at .

Thanks,
Chris

Kiessling

Flashaholic
They will make things glow and look cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Of course there are serious applications ... you listed some of them. Scorpion spotting and crime scene investigations are others.
bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
One of the more serious applications would be to find the ammunition of your cool RC-tank after a fierce battle before your mom finds the stuff and gets angry ...

rbteppichlow.jpg

The interesting thing about the Aleph19 is the reflector ... it will give you a concentrated flood with a perfect beam and a soft and even hotspot that will reach out farther than the 5mm lights .

Here's a shot vs. the Inova X5T:

Aleph19UV019.jpg

Remember that you only see the reflected portion of the light which will not allow to judge the power of the ligths from this pic as both should emit different wavelengths that have different reflective characteristics.

bernie

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
The Cree xLamps are definitely cool. We have a 3-chip model which illuminates things well at 100 feet, and, more practically, is powerful at close range. This 395nm wavelength, at this power, works well on carpet stains and a number of other bodily fluids we'd normally recommend shorter wavelengths for.

If you want more power, we're prototypeing a 7-xLamp version. The only real problem is finding a USA-made lantern to host it in...

Piers!

cdf

Enlightened
You guys have deffinatly peaked my curiosity . I was about to order another Aleph anyway .