EternaLight EliteMax...BRIGHT for a "4-banger"!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
EternaLight EliteMax...BRIGHT for a \"4-banger\"!

I recently purchased an EternaLight EliteMax in B/S/T from T I N (GREAT, timely service, BTW...Thanx, Ray!). It's been quite some time since I've purchased any 5mm LED lights since becoming a "luxeon-fiend". To me, the output just seemed to be "anti-climactic" when compared to luxeons. But I've read a lot of good things about the EliteMax, and it struck me as being a great all-around utility light...so I said WTH, and decided to go out on a limb and get one. As far as 5mm lights are concerned, this thing is extremely bright, especially when you consider it's only a "4-banger"! I did a side-by-side comparison between the EliteMax and my SL Propoly 4AA 7 LED, and the EliteMax is noticeably brighter, and has MUCH better tint! I run my SL on 3 lithium AA's and a dummy cell (the output is just as bright as running 4 alkaline AA's, and the run-time is actually better). Next, I compared the EliteMax to my Night Cutter 5 LED Sport Light with fresh 123 cells...this wasn't even fair; the EliteMax blew it away! I read somewhere that TechAss was using 26Kmcd LEDs in the EliteMax. Well, I can neither confirm nor deny that...all I know is that it beats the hell out of any other 4-banger I own, and even out-shines my SL 7-banger! Color temperature of this particular light is quite cool, as is typical with most 5mm LEDs, but it has FAR less blue in the hotspot than the SL...VERY pleasing output/color! And "cool-factor"...anybody who already owns an EternaLight knows it has a GREAT "cool-factor"! With the very comprehensive instructions that come with the EliteMax, it's incredibly easy to use; and the fact that you can switch from regulated to unregulated for longer battery life is a big plus (personally, I MUCH prefer regulated, but having the option to switch is very nice indeed!).

Anyway, if you've "sworn off" 5mm LED lights as I did since discovering luxeons, the EliteMax is one light that will definitely help you remember just how useful (and bright!) they can be. One of the biggest "issues" that most folks seem to have with EternaLights is that the "back-wash" from the exposed LEDS can be quite distracting. I simply hold the EliteMax sideways instead of flat, and it becomes a non-issue. I find that the EliteMax is actually more comfortable to hold and use in this manner as well. I'm quite pleased with this cool "gadget"! IMHO, even if you are a luxeon phanatic, you'll still find the output of this light to be VERY adequate for most tasks, and the extended run-time on the lower output settings makes it a great emergency light! FYI...

PJD

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: EternaLight EliteMax...BRIGHT for a \"4-banger\"

Welcome to the "club"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I could have written your post. I had written off 5mm lights (except ARC pocket/keychain styles), but the posts praising ELs kept cropping up. I finally bit on an EliteXray and was hooked.

I now own six ELs (two EliteMaxes). I've upgraded one ErgoMarine with the new CS Nichias and it's unbelieveable. I plan on upgrading all of mine to the new Nichias, but I'm waiting on info from EL about sockets to make future upgrades or changes easy.

Yours being a recently made model does have the 26Ks - I don't know whose they are, but EL uses quality stuff and they go the extra mile on the top end EliteMax. The upgrade probably wouldn't be worth it for you, but if you're handy and like tinkering, you might want to add the sockets anyway.

I'm guessing that even though this is your first EL, it won't be your last.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

270Winchester...Oh, yeah! This thing is just plain COOL! I brought it to work tonight (I always show off my new lights to my coworkers...), and it's gotten more "oohs and aahs" than ANY of my luxeon lights. The output was a VERY pleasant suprise!

Kitelights...actually, I owned a Raven2 a couple years back, and while it was pretty cool, the "novelty" of the colored LEDs wore off pretty quick (I found limited use for them) and I traded it away. But THIS EL is DEFINITELY a keeper!

PJD

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

With soooo many programmable options with soooo many different uses, they are indeed my most reached for lights!!! And the "gadget factor" certainly reaches "right up there"!!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have always thought mine 94!) were most useful. Greta light, neta gadget!

karl

Geologist

Enlightened

Antoher plug for the EL lights!
Also waiting for the socket upgrade kits before I start doing upgrades.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello PJD,

I'll put a vote in for the EternaLights as well.

One of my favorite camping lights...

Tom

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
270winchester said:
So, uh, PJD, it sounds like you like it just "a little bit" eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it's a fine time to get coy.....let us know how you feel.....

Doug Owen

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Personally, I'm also a big fan of the Derringer. The smaller size and 'point and shoot' mode on the single button (momentary light for short bursts, like a coin cell key chain light) make it a natural to me. For about a year I carried on in my bathrobe pocket and used it almost every day. It almost got washed once, got lost (fell out of the pocket) twice, once for quite a while. I was afraid to use my backup derringer for fear of losing it as well. I even considered putting it on a tether attached to the robe belt.

I also modified one with a small slide switch (you can reach through the battery hatch) to select between the normal red LED and the small rectangular Nichia 180 degree LED in a filed slot between the red and one of the white LEDs (a very useful LED, IMO).

Next up is a swap for 26Ks.....

Doug Owen

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I second the praise for the Derringer. For general use, i actually like that better than my ErgoMarine.

drmaxx

Enlightened
Re: EternaLight EliteMax...BRIGHT for a \"4-banger\"!

Just ordered an EliteXRay yesterday - I just hope that there will be no problem with my order from good old Europe. I am really looking forward to get this versatile little light in my hands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif - together with a new Arc-AAA, as soon as it is back on the market again...

sotyakr

Enlightened

The EliteMax and Derringer are probably two of my most useful lights even though I usually don't EDC them.

Getting a Derringer for friend who's going to Africa for a few weeks in August. Unlike another friend whom I gave one to for a trip to India, I'm going to make sure this one is "fully trained" in the Derringer's operation. The friend who went to India didn't RTFM, and almost spooked a Rhino in the middle of the night when she got "lost" in the Derringer's modes.