Lost my Inova X1, need a replacement for EDC???

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
Well I learned a hard lesson--I lost my Inova X1. I carried it in its little "spandex" case on a carabiner on my belt loop--and its gone!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I want a replacement. What should I get??? I am open to suggestions. I did like the X1 even tho everybody dissed it because the beam was so tight. I liked its throw and use of 1 AA. I have been trying to focus everything on AA batteries, cause I have a Streamlight LuxJr. and my Garmin GPS 60cs both use AA.
BUT, I am open to suggetions and I may start to carry a small Maxpedition belt pack, so I could go bigger or even a 2 CR123 light. Want to stick with LED.
I am not made of money but want something quality--help?? No custom mades, thanks.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova makes some quality lights. I gave some one an Inova XO (not the 3 model) and he loved it. Bright, long lasting (~4 hours of regulated light), not to big, yet not too small. I personally keep an X5T in the kitchen draw (it has come in hand a few times.)

As for 1AA, I have an Ultra-G/Gerber Infinity. This is with the old twist head. The new ones by Gerber have the on/off at the tail of the light/rear of it. If you can find them, some people prefer the Arc AA, but me personally I have an Arc AAA LE edition thats about to be retired and replaced with an Arc AAA Rev. 4 (the new one.)

Thinking back, all these lights are under $50 (I think.)

My old college room mate got an Inova X1 from me two christmas's ago due to his fancination with the spot light. People found it kind of cool (college kids.) He used it during a few power outtages and said the beam is semi useful (as in better than nothing.) Now he disses the X1 (calling it a novelty item) since I handed over a Surefire L2. Yes I know, two totally different lights, one being ~$20, the other MSRP of $165. He was blown away out the output though and two stage tailcap. (Ever since turning him onto CPF, he always wanted an L4, I figured a L2 is better since he doesn't use the light often and having two stages of output would be nice.)

So I'm going to get off this topic, Surefire's are expensive (since you said you aren't made of money.) I find my SF U2 to be a very nice light. Expensive, yeah, but it is my go to 2 cell light (it has replaced my E2e and L2 which has been sold or traded recently since getting the U2.)

I also didn't factor in Streamlight's LED offerings, the TL-2 LED (regulated now), TL-3 LED (may be a bit too bright), and Scorpion LED. Also the Twintask series (the 2L, the 3AA is a bit too long) is also worth looking into (sure not as nice as the A2, and a cycling switch, but sure not $185 either...)

For me when size is an issue, but I need light, I carry a Longbow Micra (gonna replace it with an HDS light soon), with an Arc AAA always riding on my keychain now. I purchased a holster for my U2, so that might follow me around more often when I'm traveling mass transit (I usually just take it if I drive somewhere.)

There are a lot of lights to choose from, you just gotta pick what output you want, run time, and price.

You can always just disregard what I said and just get another X1.

EDIT: as mossyoak mentioned Nuwai makes some lights that seem tempting, especially the QIII (at that price point, will be cheaper to buy for family members/kids than E1L's, lol, doing some math, an E1L is $98, a Q 3 is $29 (gosh thats like 3 and 1/3 Q3's for one E1L.)

davidra

Enlightened
Re: Lost my Inova X1, need a replacement for EDC??

Q3. Can't be beat for the money.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
davidra said:
Q3. Can't be beat for the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really agree about the Q3. I alternate between the Q3 and an E2E. The Q3 isnt as nice a beam to my eye, but it is very nice. And it is smaller than the E2E and costs 1/3 as much more or less.

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened

I will pitch in another vote for the Q3.
I EDC that and a Rev4 Arc AAA, both great inexpensive lights.
Sorry about your X1, read about your loss on the other forum.

Those are all great lights, but the Arc AA will be tough to find under $50 these days. Another suggestion for you, if you really liked the tight beam of the X1, is the PL-1 from PremierLights. I did a mini-review of that light, along with its bigger brother, the PL-7, several months ago. I actually prefer the PL-1 over the Inova X1 because its body style is a little better, IMHO. I like the knurling on it and the fact that it has a flat tail for candle mode.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

does the premierlight have a momentary feature if you unscrew it?

No, unfortunately, it does not have a momentary feature. One click of the switch turns it on steady. Second click is S-O-S pattern. Third click is off. Seems as though PremierLights is big on the S-O-S thing. Which I guess is good if you happen to be lost.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I put a u bin nichia in my x1

the new led doubled it's output.

The_virus

Enlightened

Well, if the X1 was a good companion so far, you could always just get another.

The Nuwai 1AA 0.5w light is a good one...I actually have one in my pocket as I type this. The head is a little wide so I don't usually carry it, but it sure is bright. Runs for 18 hours I think, semi-regulated.

There's a site having a few specials on the 0.5w lights here. The entire line of 0.5w lights are good, the 1AAA being the dimmest, but most easy to carry. The 2AAA model is a great balance of size and output (including runtime). The brightness is pretty much what the X1 would be if it had some sidespill.

I EDC a Streamlight Jr. Luxeon, and I'm going to get the improved version with the 4hr regulated runtime. My backup is either a Nuwai 0.5w 1AAA, Gerber Infinity Ultra, or Dorcy LED 1AAA. When I get 'em, I imagine my new Arc AAA v.4's will be part of that list too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened
Good info. Do you think the Xo is better than the T2--those seem pretty much the same?? I do like Inova--probably cant afford Surefire. Also the Streamlight Twintask 2L (older is not too bad, but I wonder about throw--the one I saw was not that great, either on incandescent or led). Would the Inovas have better throw?? I am leaning toward them--still dont like the CR123s, but I could live with them for 4-5 hours of regulated light for a pair in the Inovas.
Thanks for everyone's posts--I learn every time I come here (which is a good thing).

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened

If you like the Inova form factor, seriously consider the XO or T2. They're a bit large for EDC in a jeans pocket, but will do fine in a jacket, or a belt-pouch, of course. Great run time (4-5 hours), decent throw, very rugged. See Flashlight Reviews.com's excellent review.

You could also get their pocketable X5 (long run time, not much throw), or the neat T1 (pocketable, but only about 1.5 hrs. run time).

Don't forget that you can get CR123 lithiums for $1 each at Battery Station.com, and deals on other brands are readily found, too. I recently grabbed a bunch of top-notch Sanyo 123's at a gun show for $1.67 each (as opposed to the $7-10 the retail outlets charge!).

I prefer the T2's grippy body knurling over the XO's (and X5's) kinda smooth/slippery body. Otherwise, they're the same.

Hope this helps.

X33

Enlightened

My vote for the Inova X5 or T1. They are just a bit bigger than the X1. Especially the X5 should keep going forever with a set of batteries. The T1 is a great little light as well if you prefer a focused beam over flood.

matthewdanger

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
fordwillman said:
Good info. Do you think the Xo is better than the T2--those seem pretty much the same??

[/ QUOTE ]

The X0 and T2 are basically the same I think. The differences are that the T2 has a grippier checkered pattern around the circumference of the body rather than just the flats. Also, the T2 has a clickie.

Luxman

Enlightened

The QIII is great...but if you are going into a CR123 - might as well experience a 2 cell!!

Try the Nuwai TM-301X-3 which is the 2 cell version of the QIII. I think cost around $43. It also has 2 brightness levels to not blind yourself and conserve battery power.
A very nice and versatile light at low cost... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

X33

Enlightened

If it was between the XO and the T2, I would definitely get the T2. The clickie is so much nicer than the button on the XO and you can still have momentary on by just pressing the clickie if I remember correctly. Just my 2 cents.

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened

Well, just to report. I ordered an Inova T2 today. I also ordered a Maxpedition M4 waist pack and I plan to carry the T2 my LM Wave, PDA, Doug Ritter PSK, and either a cell phone or will vary with small Ham 2m/440 rig (want to get a Kenwood TH6a). Thanks for everyones input--dont like having to carry TWO kinds of batteries now, but I do think I will be happy with the T2-we'll see. I am just hoping they actually get 5 hours regulated run time.

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened

Oh, given the quality of Inova, I bought this at discount for under $40 for the T2. Is Surefire really worth 3-5 times as much???