Princeton Shockwave LED (Dive light)

bonklers

Newly Enlightened
Tell me what you think about this new diving light:
www.divesports.com/mall/princetec_lts_shockwaveLED.asp
www.nat.vu.nl/~hendra/misc/PT-ShockwaveLEDeigenschappen.pdf
www.princetontec.com/scuba.html

I like the high/low output option. Using AA->C adapters can make this like pretty affordable as a rechargable diving light. Because you can use 8 AA batteries I guess you can have something like 2 hours of burn time with 1700 mAh AA's.

But the LED's are not from luxeon but from Maxbright. This might costs you a few lumens or so. And my guess is that the body is from plastic, from what I understand (see John2551's post) plastic does not conduct heat quick enough so the plastic body can melt. Will this also be a problem underwater? Any other problems with poor heatsinks when using high power LED's? I hear the led's output will gradually decrease.....
But the price is well affordable for a diving light, I know there are cheaper (and better) handheld version for non-diving use.

The price is $110 in USA and $185 in Europe (150 euro's)

The_virus

Enlightened
Many dive lights are designed without heat sinks because when underwater the water itself provides all the heat dissipation. I'm not sure if that would be an issue with this particular light though.

bonklers

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
john2551 said:
Now that is a GREAT diving light. 3 x 3watt = 9 watts is BRIGHT!

[/ QUOTE ]

I still would like to have a diveble Tesla-6 :p. Maybe in time there will be such a thing. I've read an article about SW LED, it seems that they use LuxeonLeds also. But I wonder how this light gets his 170 lumen while Phazer gets 216.

Oh well it's only a matter of 46 lumens difference....

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the amount amps the LEDs are driven at. This varies greatly.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the Shockwave is regulated? Neither vendors nor Princeton Tec tell.

bonklers

Newly Enlightened
Did you also try to email them? Same thing here, I was asking if it's safe to use nimh rechargable batteries on this light and I still haven't heard anything from them for 3 weeks now...

My guess is it's unregulated as you can see from the link below. It has 2 hours of constant brightness and decreases to 0 output for another 6.5 hours. That's if you use Alkaline I guess. So diminishing for 6.5 hours doesnt sound like regulated to me :).
Outdoornewswire

bonklers

Newly Enlightened
FWIW they actually replyed to my mail.

So my questions were:
1)Is it safe to use NIMH cells?
2)On what current are the LED's driven?
3)Is the light neutral with Alkaline's under water?
4)Are there any plans of making another LED primary lights?

Answers
1)It's recommended to use alkaline's. (? :S)
2)the lamp peaks at 1 amps
3)it'll sink
4)He's not allowed to talk about these things :p (kinda expected)

Danintex

Enlightened
I called them (much better idea, BTW) and they said it has a heat sink, so it'll work on land as well. Do most dive lights sink?