surefire L4 - how do I focus?

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Read some time ago how to shim out the LED and get a better (or different) focus on the L4. Can't find it now and that donut is bugging me. How do I do it? TIA!!!!

greenLED

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I thought LuxV's couldn't be focused, at least not like a Lux I or III. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

grnamin

Enlightened
Open it up and put a Lux III in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously though, that's what I did. I don't know if you can focus a Lux V, but here's how to open up the section of the bezel that houses the LED:

Tools needed:
2 each Vise Grip pliers (large enough to lock onto the KL4 head)
2 each padding material (I use thick strips of leather)

The joint you want to loosen is the second one when counting from the Pyrex glass.

1) Wrap the padding material (very important so you don't scratch up the finish) around the section above the joint and secure the Vise Grip tightly into place.
2) Repeat above on the lower section of the joint with the padding and the 2nd Vise Grip.
3) Twist Vise Grips like you would to open a jar cover. It may take some effort to loosen the joint.
4) Once you have the lower section of the bezel loosened, you can take it off to expose the driver board.
5) Slowly lift the driver board to expose the positive and negative wiring and the 3 screws that hold the LED heatsink in place.
6) Use a small phillips screwdriver to remove the screws in order to separate the LED heatsink from the reflector assembly.

You're on your own from here on in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ehh...don't, wont doing that pop the LUX III?
It's easier to get an Aleph I head or replace with KL5 and the E2C

grnamin

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
Ehh...don't, wont doing that pop the LUX III?
It's easier to get an Aleph I head or replace with KL5 and the E2C

[/ QUOTE ]

YMMV. I didn't change out the driver board on mine and just run it on 1 Pila 168s. So far, so good.

roguesw

Enlightened
so shim it, u need to put a shim between the reflector and the luxeon, the shim most people use is the battery spacer that comes off a 123 cell, e.g from surefire cells or similar, the shim is the thickness of perhaps 1 or two business cards, i used this to method on my 5W i used,
hope this helps
des