Peak Matterhorn or Arc AAA?

Hans

Enlightened
The title says it all ... I thinks it's about time to get a small single AAA light, and I'm pretty much undecided which way to go. Now, I realize there have been plenty of posts on this subject (I read virtually everything I found here and on the web), but I'm still not really sure what to do.

My main EDC light is a HDS and occasionally an E1L, so the AAA light doesn't have to be *that* bright. I generally prefer throw over spill, that would favour the Peak. What's most important to me is that the light is tough, as it will live in my pocket which isn't really a very nice place with all those keys, my knife and so on around ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Another important point is (obviously) reliability, and it should be pretty watertight since I live in a fairly wet part of the world. My current "small" EDC light is a UK eLED 2AAA, and I'm more than happy with it in that respect. It even survived the washing machine once ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Another aspect is that it should work well with NiMH rechargeables. Runtime - well, I'm not usually bothered with runtime since I always carry spare AAA rechargeables anyway, but it's obviously important as well. Last point is size. With the Peak I would go for the version with the flat bottom as I don't like keeping a light on my keychain.

Any suggestions? BTW, I'm not going to buy both. I always need a spare anyway, so buying both would mean buying four lights ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hans

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want max throw and minimum size and don't care about runtime and don't need a lanyard hole, then get the 3-led Peak with ultra power and the flat bottom. It's a no brainer. If you want maximum toughness and don't mind weight, Peak even has a stainless steel version. That's a slightly unusual set of requirements though; for most people the Arc is probably better.

I personally wouldn't buy the flat bottom setup even for non-keychain use, though. I might want to put it on a lanyard, or clip it to something, or attach something to it. For example, I have a glowring hanging on my Arc AA near my bed so I can easily find it in the dark.

However, I remember someone was selling Kydex sheaths for the Arc AAA, that might also fit the Peak. So that might solve the lanyard problem for the flat bottom version.

Hans

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:However, I remember someone was selling Kydex sheaths for the Arc AAA, that might also fit the Peak. So that might solve the lanyard problem for the flat bottom version.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really need a lanyard attachment point. A Kydex sheath is an idea, but I'd probably make myself a thin leather sheath. I've still got a small piece of thin kangaroo hide somewhere, that'll do nicely. I made myself a small sheath for my HDS from the same leather, and it works beautifully.

Hans

fluorescent

Enlightened
I'd go with Peak. The nice thing about them is that you can get the pocket body and then get the extra keychain body for $5. Also if you want you can get extra/different heads with different color LEDs. The snow LEDs have a much nicer tint than the Arc also... I've run my Peak AAA thru the washer already and it's just fine.

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Hans said:

Any suggestions? BTW, I'm not going to buy both. I always need a spare anyway, so buying both would mean buying four lights ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hans

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in that case, buy both. ;-)
Honestly, buy one of each and find out which one you like best. Keep the other one as spare and if the main light is lost or stops working, you can use this one untill you get a replacement.
On the other hand, if you already carry a multi-level light, you might consider something even smaller.
I have been carrying a photon-clone on my keychain ever since I decided to have the arc4 as main edc. It rarely gets used, but it's there when I need it. I have several more at home, in case one should fail. They are cheap, and if modded with a better LED have a reasonable brightness. Yes they are unregulated, use uncommon batterys and aren't really waterproof, but if you're looking for a small light, they're as good as it can get.

Chrisse

Hans

Enlightened
chrisse242 said: I have been carrying a photon-clone on my keychain ever since I decided to have the arc4 as main edc. It rarely gets used, but it's there when I need it. <snip> Yes they are unregulated, use uncommon batterys and aren't really waterproof, but if you're looking for a small light, they're as good as it can get.

I actually use my "small" light far more often than my HDS. I use it around the house at night, I use it to check for books in the back rows of my book shelves, I use it when I want to have a quick look at the map when driving at night and so on. I don't think I'd be happy with a photon light. And I really want some decent waterproofing in all my EDC lights. The reason I became interested in high quality lights years ago was that one night my cheap light died in a heavy rainstorm, and I was at the time some 5 miles away from the car in a forest. It's got to be waterproof.

Hans

Last edited by a moderator:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've been experimenting over the last couple of months with my EDC. For a couple weeks now I've been carrying and Arc4-AAA and Peak 3xLED Matterhorn with pocket tube exclusively. Between the (2) lights, I easily have 10-hours of very useful lighting, with many more hours emergency lighting, plus the fact that one can back-up the other considering they both use the same type cell.

Roger11

Newly Enlightened
The Peak is much whiter. The arc-p is blue in comparison. The Arc has better regulation. The peak starts out brighter but in an hours run time the Arc surpasses it. While I have both, I would take the Arc over the Peak. In part because the old Arc was my first LED and I carried it for a couple of years and it is / was one tough light. Peak support though is second to none and I will likely get the 1w-AAA Ocean series when it comes out.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have put both Peaks and Arcs through washing machines and they still work fine. You need not worry about reliability no matter what you choose.

t.i.n. has changed my battery religion to lithium AAA cells when feeding either the Peak or Arcs. Makes them lighter, helps regulate them better for a longer and brighter experience. The best way to convert is to buy a rather large amount of them (I purchased 16 of them) this will cause you to get used to lithium AAA batteries and when you run out, (hopefully) they won't be too expensive.
I am with Roger though, a Luxeon AAA (Peak Ocean Series) will likely obsolete my Peak/Arc AAA 5mm LED keychain lights. Progress is good.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Peak 1LED Ultra Snow lug style (thanks to a very accomodating exchange of an old model by Robyn- Thanks Robyn!) and I had (unfortunately lost :( at Six Flags ) an Arc AAA rev4, (I still have an Arc AAA Turquoise to compare dimensions) so I figured I throw my 2 cents in here for those still wondering about this.

Firstly, both of these companies make great lights and both of these seemingly similar lights are excellent. However, each light has pro's and minuses IMHO. I'm not writing this according to Han's criteria per se, more for the generally curious.

Size/weight: the Arc is noticably shorter than the Peak even with just the 1 LED lug model. Also, the head on the Peak has a slightly larger diameter than the body whereas the Arc's is flush with it. However, the body of the Peak is slightly thinner than the Arc and the overall unit seems lighter to me (although I don't have a scale to really check this).
Advantage: Slight Arc

Ergonomics: Personally, I like the look of the Peak a bit more, as it has a bit more "design" and isn't strictly utilitarian, but this is just a matter of opinion. The one area where the Arc has a clear advantage is in the switch operation. While the Peak threads are smooth, the O-ring is a touch too large and it makes one hand operation a bit difficult. Additionally, the Arc's knurled head offers a better grip than the Peak's milled flats.
Advantage: Arc

Brightness: This one is no surprise as the Arc uses the highly touted Nichia "CS" LED's. However, the Peak is no slouch and puts out a very nice value for a keychain light. I have realized that I actually often prefer a slightly dimmer light for general tasks so as not to shock my eyes. Advantage: slight Arc

Runtime: This one is a little tricky as the runtime graphs are very different. The Arc has a "truer" regulation in that it will stay closer to full brightness for a few hours over the Peak, but then it will bottom out. Many people prefer this type of regulation as it pulls maximum brightness out of even part dead batteries. The Peak drops faster in the beginning, but will stay over 25% for many (in the tens of) hours. So this one depends on what your needs are- the Peak will be much better for reading as it will put out usable light for longer, isn't so bright that it blinds you reflecting of the page (which the Arc does to me), and has much better tint (but I'm getting to that next).
Advantage: Draw

Tint: This one hands down, clearly goes to Peak and the Snow 29 LED. The light is still higher (cooler) in color temperature than most Luxeons, but it is clean and has no noticable blue swirly hotspot which is VERY noticable in the Arc's Nichia LED. For most things this isn't a big deal, but for certain tasks (like reading) the blue can be very distracting and cause eyestrain.
Advantage: Strongly for Peak

Overall I like both of these lights very much. The Arc is more like a mini-powerhouse in your pocket as it will provide a surprising amount of light for the full life of the battery. It can light up a room and is adequate for medium distance tasks.

The Peak is a better up close light due to being not quite as bright, maintaining usable light for much longer, and providing a much nicer tint of light with which to work.

Given my current light use habits, I think I'll enjoy using the Peak as a go anywhere closeup light. I'm still pretty upset about losing my Arc though. Hope this helps.
Jon

Last edited:

redduck

Newly Enlightened
The only thing prevented me from buying either an Arc or Peak is that they don't have a momentary on switch. I dont understand why people prefer twisties. I am currently carry a Dorcy 1AAA as low light device for navigating around the house during night and I like it a lot.

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
redduck said:
The only thing prevented me from buying either an Arc or Peak is that they don't have a momentary on switch.

there is an undocumented 'feature' that seems to work with both the arc andPeak. If you untwist so that the light is just 'off' and then pull the head back down into the body, the light will come on. Voila' momentary. I read about it in the arc forum, and it seems to work on my Peak Matterhorn's.

I would also comment that any switch I can imagine that would be as robust as the lights would add significantly to the size and weight, so I'm happy with twisting the head.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hans said:
I actually use my "small" light far more often than my HDS. I use it around the house at night...
I also have an HDS and my favorite EDC is the Peak Caribbean, pocket body. It's sufficiently smaller that it fits unobtrusively in my pocket, has tough type III anodizing so keys, coins, etc. don't hurt it, yet has excellent throw/output, far superior to non-Luxeon pocket lights.

The Caribbean is 2.88 x 0.78 in, 1.33 oz.
The Matterhorn is 3.32 x 0.53 in, 0.74 oz.

The Caribbean is CR123 powered, not AAA, but with a nearly 2 hr runtime you don't use that many batteries.

mfljr

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Peak 1 Led Ultra, Peak 3 Led Hi-Power, and an Arc-4 AAA. Given that I have played with all three, if I could only have one it would have to be the Peak product. I EDC both the Arc and one of the Peak lights at almost all times, they are both good in a pocket and plenty tough enough to go up against whatever else you might be carrying around (short of nails or something equally odd) in your pocket. The much whiter light of the Peak led would do it for me though, I find the bluish light of the Arc distracting/annoying at times.

As far as the 1 led or 3 led decision, the 1 led ultra is as bright as the 3 led hi-power, but the 3 led has a slightly more concentrated beam. If I were to do this part again, I'd get the 3 led ultra instead of the hi-power.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
mfljr- I'm really starting to agree with you on the Peak. I'm not a total tint snob, but I do find whiter light much more pleasant especially when using the light for closeup tasks (which is primarily what it's used for). I've never seen a 5mm LED so white! I like the 1 LED version since personally for an EDC I'd rather have a floodier beam that shows me more of an area- I wouldn't use a 5mm light for throw anyway, there are better options.

If Arc ever decided to make a version of their light with the Snow LED instead of the Nichia CS (and perhaps overdriving it a little less) I'd probably have to pick that one up.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there you have it...confused yet?
Now that you know you have options, it is up to you to determine your needs. If max output, runtime be damned is your moto... Peak Matterhorn 3 LED Ultra fed with lithium AAA batteries. If you want 5-6 hours of decent brightness and beam color is not a concern... Arc Rev4 AAA. If you want a light that is as white as a 5mm LED can get... any Peak with the Snow29 would work.
If you want the best regulation you can get... Arc Rev4 regulates a bit better than Peaks. If you want a loooooooong runtime, Peak Matterhorn single LED in the standard output... those things run forever.
Depends on what your priorities are, the tint you want, the output or regulation stability. My personal demands are the best beam quality and tint with good output. Followed ThisIsNascar's advice and run exclusively lithium AAA batteries in my Peak Matterhorn 3 LED standard (high output) power. The reason I passed on the Ultra version was to increase the life of the lithium AAA batteries by not loaded them as hard. Those little guys run $2 each so I want to get the maximum amount of photons for as long as possible.
If you are going to use your light for walking around the house, roaming parking lots or providing light in general terms... the Arc will serve you well. If you want to read, look at wiring color codes or blue bothers you... get the Peak.
The best thing you can do is buy both... use both of them at the same time and see which one works best for you. Christmas is coming so after a few months you have a present for a friend.
My buddies reaction to Peaks and Arcs is they are both amazing lights. If flashlights were tool companies... it would be a Snap On VS Mac Tools. Just like the tool companies, you can't go wrong with either one. (I prefer Mac ratchets myself my 1986 version is still kicking)
Once you have the lights, you will realize how often they come in handy. My Matterhorn has been used at least 5 or 6 times today although the EDC wins with a pair of Powerex 2200 mAH AA batteries killed in one day! (Peak Mediterranean 2AA Luxeon)
Pick your brand(s) get the light and realize the term EDC will mean something to you.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, you guys sold me on the Peak. :)

How is RMSK to deal with when ordering?

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
My Peak Matterhorn 3 LED (Hi-Power) has been my 24/7 EDC companion -- hung on a steel-bead lanyard -- for 6 months. I hardly notice it, yet it's handy for lots of instant-use tasks a dozen times a day... both inside the house and out-and-about. I reach for it more often than the Surefire E2/KL1 in my trouser pocket, too.

I particularly like its "throw" compared to my CMG Infinity Ultra-G (another great little light). I run it on Energizer lithiums and find the enhanced brightness and runtime is worth the cost.

A few weeks ago, we had a post-storm power loss in my area... while I was in a big grocery store. NOBODY had a flashlight, and the store's emergency lights were useless. Lots of spilled groceries and broken glass everywhere. My Peak Matterhorn was in great demand, even by the store's manager. (So much for criticisms of us Flashaholics by the unprepared/naive Sheeple.)

I've purchased Peaks from both PocketLights and RMSK. Both are good dealers. Enjoyed chatting with David (PocketLights) and Bob (RMSK) via phone, too. P-Light's shipping may be a couple bucks cheaper. Both ship fast. RMSK has an especially interesting deal on the old, standard-power Peak Matterhorns and McKinleys. With a lithium battery, that old 3 LED Peak (std.) will run a loooong time, and they make great gifts.

Hans

Enlightened
Thanks for the excellent advice everyone. I finally came off the fence and bought both ... no, wait a minute, I actually bought five lights. Now, if that isn't the true spirit of CPF ...:)

Two Inova Microlights, just to give them a try. They're nice, much nicer than I thought and definitely better than the cheap clones I got a couple of years ago. I particularly like the switch. Having *two* switches, one for momentary "On" and one for permanent "On", makes using them very easy, and it's almost impossible to accidentally drain the batteries, one of the big problems I had with the clones I bought in the past. I don't think they're a substitute for a Peak or an Arc because of the batteries they need. I also don't think they'll be as tough as "real" lights, and I like the candlepower mode too much to carry a Microlight as my "main small light". I haven't decided yet what I'll do with them, maybe I'll even put one on one of my keyrings ...:)

Three Peak 1 LED lights. In the end it was the tint and the price that convinced me to get the Peaks rather than the Arc, especially since a dealer over here sold some old stock are reduced prices.

So I got two old Peak 1 LED "Standard" lights - not very bright, in fact somewhat less bright than the Inova Microlights with fresh batteries, but bright enough for the intended purpose. The tint is slightly purple in the hotspot, but by no means distracting, not even when reading, and the runtime with NiMH rechargeables is excellent. I reckon I'll get a few lithium AAA batteries at some stage to see what they're like, but at the moment I always carry spare NiMH AAA's anyway, so I don't really see a need to change over to lithiums just yet. One of the Peaks is part of my EDC, the other one I'll give away as a present, after all, Xmas is just over the horizon. *grin*

I also got one of the recent 1 LED "Hi-Power" lights with a short body, the one with the flat bottom. A very nice light, of course quite a bit brighter than the "Standard" with a better tint, but with lights in this class I don't really think brightness is of such importance, especially because I almost always carry a HDS or an E1L in my pack. I'll keep it as a backup in case I lose my other Peak.

Thanks again for all the excellent adivce ...:)

Hans