Brightest RED LED's

saber

Newly Enlightened
I would like to "upgrade" the rear blinker on my bike to increase the brightness. What are the brightest 5mm red LED's that are currently available? This would be the simplist mod to just replace the LED's. Another possiblity would be to replace the 5mm parts with 10mm, luxeons, red kryptonite, or whatever. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW is Vf roughly the same on a red Luxeon as a 5mm red LED? Also the light is powered by 2 AA if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Jeff

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was interested in the same thing, for my inova. I'd prefer a narrow angle led, where the bike light might need a wide angle.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think it would look better if you cut the led down (like a MJLED) to spread the light out more..

saber

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far. There are currently 5 LED's in the light and they are covered with a red lens. With 5 LED's I don't think I need a real wide angle. I think that the lens will also diffuse the light some.

Jeff

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
There are some insanely-bright Luxeons Red/orange's out there! I lucked into 4 H2GH's which are rated 200-260 Lumen @ a Vf of 2.79-3.03V. I put one in an L1 (dumb) head with the TIR and run it on an E1 body, DD on a 123. Look at it with your eyes closed, and you see (red) spots! :green: Run DD on a couple of NIMH's could make a very viable tail light!

Larry

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry is dead on - the Lux III Red - orange is insanely bright, has tremendous current range rating, and a fairly low Vf. Even with small currents, it is bright.

cy

Flashaholic
these new gen Red/orange luxeons are crazy bright! even in daylight

here's beamshot of a red/orange luxeon mounted in a FT3C that's available.

bs ft3c red.JPG

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of a 1 CR123 setup using a R/O LuxIII and seeing that it performed so well in an L1, I thought it might perform equaly well in a Q1 or a Q3. I preffer reflectors, so that is why I suggested this setup.
What do you think? Would it work? Which one of the two do you think would yield the best results? What do you think would be the differences between them?

Thanks

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
these new gen Red/orange luxeons are crazy bright! even in daylight

here's beamshot of a red/orange luxeon mounted in a FT3C that's available.

bs ft3c red.JPG

Hey CY,

Did you just put the r/o luxIII in as a direct replacement, or did you have to add anything??

Thanks,
Danny

Tritium

Enlightened
DragonFlame said:
I was thinking of a 1 CR123 setup using a R/O LuxIII and seeing that it performed so well in an L1, I thought it might perform equaly well in a Q1 or a Q3. I preffer reflectors, so that is why I suggested this setup.
What do you think? Would it work? Which one of the two do you think would yield the best results? What do you think would be the differences between them?

Thanks

Got one in a Q3. Stock Driver. Insanely bright

Thurmond

Varroa

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the process of doing the same thing to my rear blinkie lights. I bought these (25,000 MCD) and I have just started to change them:

ebay

Varroa

Newly Enlightened
I will have 15K MCD and 25K MCD 5 mm red LEDs available for purchase soon. Look for my post in the B/S/T forum if you are interested.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree on the red-orange LEDs when you're looking for bright. Red alone just seems to fall short.

anthroPelexis

Newly Enlightened
That is an interesting idea. I think I will have a crack at it as well (my bike light that is)