Make your Lioncub button easy to find in the dark

MY

Enlightened
The problem that I, and perhaps many others, have with the lioncub is difficulty in finding the button (switch) in the dark. With the lionheart, the tritium vial did wonders in marking the spot. Since the cub does not have a slot for a trit near the button, I came up with a different but simple solution.

What I did was to make a new clear button out of a slicone swim mask by punching it out with a 3/8" leather punch. I then put on one side of the button some glow paint. I simply inserted the new button, glow paint side down back in the cub. The glow lasts for most of the night with enough luminance to easily find the switch. The small part of the switch head makes contact with the glow paint and will eventually rub it off that spot but there is plenty of surface area left to be effective I think. If I had more experience with glow paint, I could probably find a variation that will be brighter and last longer. I could also experiment to find some silicone that is clearer (the silicon that I am using is opaque) but still of the right thickness to keep the waterproofness. The silicon button that I am using is more pliable than the original and gives it a more tactile feel, even emitting a solid clicking sound when pressed.

When I get the chance, I will try to get some pictures up but I think that most folks will get the idea. :crazy:

Regards.

MY

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's a GREAT idea.. how about better yet.. find some GID rubber to start with.. anybody have a source for some?

MY

Enlightened
Finding some glow in the dark silicone that is the right texture, thickness and feel for the switch button may be difficult. I had enough trouble finding clear silicone that work in this application in the first place. Again what I found was not perfectly clear but opaque. The glow in the dark rubber that I have found is not at all appropriate for the button and had inferior glow properties. If someone has some GID rubber that will work, I think that all lioncub and lionheart owners would jump on it.

Regards.

MY

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several types of GID balls you can play with. Probably at the toy store, or discovery store. There must be a thin one that might work. Also, some of the GID stickers might be thick enough to work.