Peak 1LED AAA Ultra superior to Arc-AAA rev 4

goldenlight

Enlightened
I finally broke down and bought a Peak Matterhorn 1 LED snow Ultra power lug model.

And I think it's a superior light. I'm probably going to get assassinated for this, but that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

It's virtually identical in form to the Arc-AAA rev 4 Premium; it has the slightly larger diameter head, and is about 2 or 3 millimeters longer.

It cost $38.84 delivered (in 2 days) vs $45.99 for the Arc Premium, delivered sometime next month (?).

The main difference is the beam quality. Let's face it, the Arc-AAA rev 4 Premium has a butt ugly beam.

I mean chimpanzee butt ugly.

It has an angry blue 'hot spot' shot through with **** green. :sick2:

The Peak Matterhorn 1 LED snow Ultra power lug model has a smooth, very slightly blue, very, very even, beam.

Output appears identical to my eyes, in every test I could think of (shine at wall at various distances, bounce off ceiling, etc.) I have no instruments to test this. Both lights had new Energizer lithium L-92 AAA cells.

The Peak does have two fairly dim rings in the outer edge of it's beam. It took me awhile to figure out why: the snow LED is much more deeply set into it's little reflector than the Arc-AAA is. It's easily set twice as deep, around 2-3 mm deeper. I believe the faint rings are artifacts due to LED reflecting off the edge of the reflector.

My only complaint about the Peak Matterhorn was that the head was quite stiff to turn it on; so stiff it was virtually impossible to turn on with one hand, even after lubricating the O-ring with a light weight silicone lube.

A trip to the hardware store, and 49 cents later, and the head turns easily. I used a smaller diameter O-ring, but with a bigger cross section, and now it's perfect.

I don't know about run-time comparison between the two lights, and frankly, I don't care. I spend the $2/ea to use the lighter weight, and superior output Energizer lithium L-92 AAA cells. I use this kind of light frequently, but intermittently. A battery can easily last 6 months or more for me, so run time difference are simply not important to me.

Back in 2001 (had to check the archives....) when the Arc-AAA first went into production, it was practically a miracle. Small, reasonably bright, and most importantly, it didn't use those expensive and short lived coin cells. Later, it got HA, vastly improving it's durability when attached to a bunch of keys.

Arc LLC had been a massive inovator in the small LED flashlight world, making numerous 'firsts', which have been copied by a vast number of other manufacturers.

Well, it's 2005, and IMHO, the Arc-AAA rev 4 simply hasn't kept up with advances in 5mm white LED technology. The Arc-AAA rev 4 Premium looks very badly overdriven, while the Peak's snow LED is in a whole other, and vastly superior, league.

I cannot understand why the Arc-AAA rev 4 Premium doesn't use one of the many better 5mm LED's currently available.

The Arc-AAA rev 4 Premium is still a very good little light; it's just overpriced, not currently available, and Peak currently makes a better product for less money, IMHO.

Nothing would make me happier than to see the Arc-AAA rev 4 Premium get an improved emitter. It's my opinion that it should have had one from the beginning. But until the Arc-AAA rev 4 Premium DOES get an improved emitter, I'm just not going to recommend it, while the Peak 1 LED AAA Ultra power snow lug style light is available.

Don't get me wrong: I LIKE Arc products, and I'm looking forward to new introductions; I just hope they are better than the Arc-AAA rev 4 Premium

Flame away! :devil: :nana:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO FLAMES FROM ME

First, let me state for the record that I am not in any "camp". I have no connection to either of these companies other than being a retail customer.
No beta testing, no previews, no inside information. Both my Peak Matterhorn Ultra Snow and my ARC-P were ordered from the manufacturers off their websites. Just like any normal everyday person who would sink about $90 into two 1AAA pocket lights. (Flashaholic for sure.)

The Peak came first and I was immediately very impressed. Bright, well made and the snow LED is beautiful. Great beam quality and well, white as snow. It became and has remained my EDC coin pocket light.

I ordered the ARC before the production lights were available and waited about six weeks. When it arrived I have to say I was disappointed.

While I would not describe the beam as negatively as you, there is no doubt, that it is BLUE. I am not in any way a tint fanatic, but I guess I was somewhat spoiled by the snow LED color.

I know one response is that these LEDs are selected for output and electrical characteristics. Maybe so, but the Peak seems as bright with better beam quality. Regulation and runtime are much better on the ARC. Maybe so, but AAA batteries are cheap and I am quite willing to make this trade off.

What is strong on the ARC? The case for sure. The feel of the light knurling and the finish are superior. Feels better and has a better grip. Also the smaller knurled head is much easier to grip and turn than the faceted one on the Peak.

Both good lights, but I enjoy having and using the Peak more.

Mark

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
goldenlight -
You get the gold star for the funniest post i've read in a while, and i've run across some good ones. Oh, i *so* have to tag this thread.

goldenlight

Enlightened
Archangel said:
goldenlight -
You get the gold star for the funniest post i've read in a while, and i've run across some good ones. Oh, i *so* have to tag this thread.

I'm glad you got a good laugh out of it, but it was *intended* to be quite serious... What was so funny? :confused:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen burn in graphs from Chimo and the snow didn't do so well. I wonder what it's driven at, if it was the same as Chimo drove his at.. The Nichia is very durable, allthough other less durable LED's are now out with smoother beams. I don't know the difference that the other LEDs use in their phosphur depositation, but Nichia needs to improve there. In a small keychain light I'm not too picky about the color rendering as it's usualy used for emergency lighting a path, and doesn't put out enough light to really notice. Now on a pocket light /handheld I want even color/even beam as I'm using it to work by...

I love the form factor of my ArcAAA v(2.5?), and soon I'll be putting in the newer Nichia. IMO both the peak and the arcs need to come down in price. I feel as time goes on and demand goes down/supply goes up that will happen. I got my Arc new for $21 shipped. As far as LEDs go for this kind of light, I'll take Brightness first, Even tint last, and it must be durable at the manufacters drive current, as I don't want it turning dim after I've used it for a couple hundred hours!

I totally understand you wanting the even colored white light though. That's why we all move to LED's anyways... :)

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, come on, goldenlight, you can't write "I mean chimpanzee butt ugly." and not expect people to get a kick out of it.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
ARCPEAK3.JPG

gorlank

Enlightened
I own several of the new Arcs and I think they are great lights. I think the tint of the beam has been hideously over exaggerated. Does it have a blue-ishtint, yes, but it is nowhere near as bad as reports have stated.
I find the Arc to be a nice compromise between size and brightness, it's a winner in my book.

BTW, a beamshot comparison between the two would be quite nice to support your conclusions.

goldenlight

Enlightened
Nice graphs, TIN. The curves for the Peak and Arc are amazingly similar. I thought the Peak would drop more quickly.

Stange how 2 Arcs are virtually identical, and one has a significant lower output. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Probably if someone were to meter my Peak vs. my Arc-AAA, it would show the Arc had a higher output, because the Arc has more of a 'hotspot', while the Peak has a vastly more smooth and even beam.

Unless they were metered from such a short distance that ALL of the output fell on the metering device, of course. But considering how both lighs spill out so quickly, the distance would have to be very, very short. Perhaps only a few millimeters, depending on the size of the cell that is measuring the light, of course. At 6 inches, my Arc looks brighter, at 6 feet, (and all other distances except close up) they appear as close to identical as I can tell, as I stated before.

bhds

Enlightened
This is a shot I took a long time ago for another thread. The peak is a 3 led "H" power and the arc is the older "premium" version. The newer premium arc aaa that I have has a bit smoother and not quite as angry blue hotspot as my older one. The blue hotspot isnt too much of a concern when walking around or illuminating things beyond a few feet. It does become glaringly obvious when using to read a book or read a map though:sick2:

peakarc_std.jpg

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with most of your sentiments. My major concern echoes IssacHayes's post- I believe the Ultra model is driven at around 40 mA, so we are looking at only around a day's worth of light from the LED before it really starts to take a dive. Of course, used intermitantly, it will still last a good long while, but knowing that the LED is suffering does make me feel a bit uncomfortable leaving mine on for very long. Add to this the fact that Peak only guarantees the lights for a year where Arc claims lifetime (and guarantees the LED as well). That said, Peak did replace an older model I had with a newer one (with better regulation) free of charge, so I do see them standing by their product and their customers.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree that the Peak is overall excellent and the Snow beam puts the Nichia to shame. I just hope that it will last long enough for something even better to come out and replace it :D.

JJohn

Enlightened
I know that I look for features that most flashaholics don't put at the top of the priority list but let me say why my Peak Matterhorn 1LED, AAA, Pocket-style, high output, HAIII light (wow, that is quite a mouthful) is my favorite AAA light:

1) Beam quality is excellent (tint and spatial)
2) It is not overdriven and should last long without degrading
3) Runtime is amazing with a flat output with L92 batteries
4) It fits easily into the watch pocket on jeans (pocket style is significantly shorter than Arc or Peak lug versions)
5) It can tail-stand and this is great for night time trips or inside a tent.
6) The high output is plently bright (sometimes too bright) for checking on the kids, walking around the house without waking family members, and even short hikes. It is a keychain light afterall - how bright do you really need it to be?
7) It is reasonably priced.

John

Haz

Enlightened
JJohn,

You mentioned the pocket style Peak is significantly shorter than the Arc. By how much mm, or inch would that be?

Haz

JJohn

Enlightened
The Arc is about 2.7 inches and the Peak Pocket style is 2.5 inches. It doesn't sound like much difference and I guess it isn't but, one fits nicely in that little, otherwise useless little pocket of my jeans. The other does not. Of course, the pocket-style means that you cannot connect it to your keys but, it can tail-stand. It is a trade-off.

Just what works for me,
John

Haz

Enlightened
Thanks John,
I been deciding which one to purchase for a while now, so this information helps. I'm also thinking also about the Caribbean, seams like a pretty good light at a small size, however it's seems thicker, than the AAA lights. It also cost alot more too. I want a light in my pocket to upgrade my Freedom Max.
Haz

Hans

Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
I've seen burn in graphs from Chimo and the snow didn't do so well. I wonder what it's driven at, if it was the same as Chimo drove his at. <snip> IMO both the peak and the arcs need to come down in price.

That's why I bought an "old" Peak Matterhorn Standard a couple of weeks ago. Sure, it's not very bright (but bright enough for a small light) and the tint isn't as good as the new "snow" Peaks, even though it's still pretty good and for that matter better than the one new Arc I had a chance to look at. I got the Peak at a good price over here, and I reckon the LED will last a long time.

I still don't quite understand why people are looking for maximum brightness in such a small light. There are other factors such as runtime and durability of the LED that seem me to matter more than brightness. YMMV, as usual.

Hans

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to own a ARC AAA Premium (new version) and sold it within a week of receiving it because I couldn't deal with the blue tint for the price I paid for it. I was able to play with a Peak AAA and the difference was amazing from the tint stand point, as it has been pointed out I really don't care too much if ARC lasts longer than the Peak AAA with the batteries as cheap and readily avail and the amount of usage they get, Peak is a runaway winner. IMO Arc sales will slow for the AAA because they are being sold by reputation right now. Until Arc gets better LEDs they will be a far way second to Peak in this category.

Doug

davidra

Enlightened
I do not have a Peak single LED ultra. I do have a 3 LED Peak Ultra, which is a different animal with more throw and less spill. I find that light not as useful because I want spill. All I can say is that after carrying both Peaks and Arcs for the last few years, I definitively like the Arc better. Yes, it is bluer. I like the beam much better than the Peaks I've had and used, including a hi power single LED. It provides a more useful spill IMHO. My Peaks lost anodizing around the base of the head, both of them. I don't like the knurling as well, and the 3 LED was just longer enough to irritate me. I am delighted with the Arc; for me it's a better light. To me it appears more solid and better made. Maybe all psychological, but it works for me.