WA 01274 & two 18650 mod HELP

juancho

Enlightened
I have two 18650 protected cells and put that in a 2 C (had to drill some material in the tailcap) and use that for a while with a Carley 612 bulb.
Until today when I put a kiu ceramic socket and a WA01274 bulb.

I didn't light up so I tried another, I tried cliking double and triples and even four times nothing.

Just for the heck of it I tried a 01160 but I knew will be too much current demand, it was, it tripped the protection of one cell.

What is going on and what bulb will work with these batteries??
My meter blowed a fuse and can not check voltage but the needle in my battery tester (1.5) jump when I touch the probes to the kiu socket pins' openings.

Juancho

Last edited:

AW

Newly Enlightened
Juan,

The protected 18650 does not work on the WA1274. You 'll need the unprotected 18650.

AW

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
juancho said:
So Pilas 168A provide more amperage than the 18650 protected ??
No, that's not right: the Pila 168A is a protected 18650. Maybe FiveMega thought you wrote 150S, which is the narrower 17670 that has less capacity and more resistance.

If a protected 18650 can't handle this bulb, your only hope is an unprotected 18650. I wasn't willing to go that route when my protected 123A cells didn't light up my bulbs, which is why I'm changing to larger bodies (3x123A) and larger protected cells (150A and 150S).

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, you are wrong. Pila168A will be able to drive bulbs the 18650 isn't able to. That is because the protection circuit works in a little different way.

Sigbjoern

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurveleven said:
Paul, you are wrong. Pila168A will be able to drive bulbs the 18650 isn't able to. That is because the protection circuit works in a little different way.
Wow. I wish I knew that before I ordered some non-Pila 150A and 150S protected cells. I'll be testing the cells with six 9V xenon lamps. I'll report which cells are able to power which lamps...and which are not. if the $10 150A cells work on all lamps, great for all of us. If they don't, I'll try some Pila 150A cells.

juancho

Enlightened
Well, what bulb I will use with this protected 18650 batteries??
I am using now a Carley 612 but it have a terrible beam pattern with the filament coils showing on the beam.
I am thinking of frosting the bulb, but I hope somebody can come up with a better bulb for this C-2 light.

Anybody??
Juancho

juancho

Enlightened
Oh well!! I went to the worshop and I found severals Maglites Kripton 4 cells bulbs, so I put a PR -C- switch in the flashlight and one of the 4 cells bulbs.

I am overdriven it like crazy and I don't know what kind of bulb life I will get, but I like the beam and the intensity.

Until one of you guys come out with a super-bulb bi pin for me to try.
Juancho.

P/S Litho 123: If you are reading this I want you to know that I tried to answer your P.M. several times, but the message don't go thru, the clock will appear and stay there locking everything up. I had to shutt off the computer 3 times!!
However I just answered somebody else P. M. with no trouble!!!

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the top off my head, here are some bulbs to try out:
CA1499
CA1057
WA1316
WA1165
WA1148
Pelican Big D SLA 11W (don't know about bulb life on this one)

I have all those bulbs, I guess it is time for me to test them with those batteries...

Sigbjoern

juancho

Enlightened
Lurveleven,
Thank you for the information, of all the bulbs you mention I only have the 3854 for the big D SLA, it comes with two lamps, 3854 H (high intensity) and the 3854 L (long life)

I used this bulb in the ROAR of the Pelican, So I tried both the H and the L but they don't light up, they try to if I switch rapidly several times, the filament gets illuminated just a little but don't hold.

I am sure if I had the non protected 18650 they will work, but the recommendation of my friend Litho 123 is not to mess up with those batteries.

I have to wait until tonight but I can see that the Maglite 4 cell bulb is even brighter than the Carley 612 and than the KPR 112.
And the beam is quite nice, and maybe I don't even need the Fivemega reflector and can do with the stock reflector in here.

But I will appreciate if you do try those bulbs with your batteries to give me some input.
Thanks
Juancho

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I would not mess with unprotected cells in series.

What I'm wondering is how long before you instantflash that Mag 4 cell bulb.

I have now tried all the bulbs I listed. The test was performed with freshly charged cells.
The following bulbs lighted without double clicking:
CA1499
WA1316
Pelican Big D SLA 11W

The following bulbs needed multiple clicks to start:
WA1165
WA1148
CA1057 (this was almost impossible to get to start)

Sigbjoern

Last edited:

juancho

Enlightened
Lurveleven.
The 4 cell bulb lasted less than five minutes total running time and instaflashed at the eleven times that I started the flashlight.
But that was good performance, the second 4 cell instaflashed the first time!!!

Back to rut around in the old draws, I find a KPR 112, as it is for 7.5 volts and permit the use of three 123's I don't think I will have problem with this one.
But is not as bright as I was wishing to have in this light (flashaholic hot-wires are never happy)
I used to have Xenon Magnum Star for 5 cells and that is what I want to try next.
I don't have the Carley 1499 or the WA 1316, thank you for trying them for me, (what amount of lumens they put out?)
What I don't understand is why none of the two bulbs for the Pelican Big D, light on me, it could be because my batteries are at 4 volts and yours are outputting 4.2 or more??
Mine where charged 3 days ago and used just a little, maybe 10 minutes.

I also tried the regular Maglite 5 cells bulb; it is nothing to write home about.

I wonder how many lumens the WA 1316 put out, I bet that will be more than the Carley 1499, as WA's has always been more powerful than Carley's.

Thank you for the help, if you let me know how many lumens you estimate and are more than 250 lumens I will go in search of the WA1316.

Regards
Juancho

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have measured the 18650 to a MPV=7V @ 2A. That gives the following bulb numbers:

CA1499:
Bulb lumens=349, Torch lumens=227, Lamp life=28 hours
WA1316:
Bulb lumens=404, Torch lumens=262, Lamp life=13 hours

The runtime should be the same for the two bulbs (around 72 minutes).

It will be more difficult to drive the cells at the edge as they become depleted, that explains why you were not able to run the Big D bulb.

Sigbjoern