new optics for River Rock 2AAA headlamp

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
While shopping at Target recently I picked up one of their new "River Rock" branded 2AAA headlamps. it has a .5 watt "aurora" type LED's in it and was nice and bright. The problem with it was that it had a good deep reflector and was a very tight bright spot. Which is rarely what you want in a headlamp for close up work.

The bezel unscrews easily, and the reflector just pops out revealing the LED and the inner workings.

head1.jpg

and then it was just a matter of a few minutes work with a hot glue gun to install (at least temporarily while I figure out how better to mount it) a 30 degree optic. I can't remember where I got this from, might have been from photonfanatic, or it might have been the samwidge shop. But it almost fits correctly over the LED and makes a pretty darn good flood for closer up work or reading with the thing. I'm now very happy with it! The 2 stage clicky is nice and the form factor of the light is small and light weight and I think I'm going to get some use out of this now.

head2.jpg

head3.jpg

Enjoy,

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, i just used some medical tape. the kind that comes in first aid kits. it's made by 3M and it's basically got a 'diamond' look to it. kinda like the diffuser on the Petzl headlamps......... maybe i should just take pics, it's kinda hard to describe. :)