Can Police officer choose any flashlight?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
this may be a stupid question but I have to ask you guys. there are so many powerful LED & incandescent lights in the market. If a police officer decide to use a SF U2 or C3 as duty light, would he be reprimand by the PD dept for illegal use of unauthorized equipment?

Does the officer have to use the crappy flashlight issued by the PD ?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a LEO, but my understanding is most places will allow you to carry most anything if it conforms to their restrictions. Usually weight, length, and material. A lot of PDs require the use of non-metal flashlights (too many crooks getting brained with SL-35X's) although I don't know if it would apply to something as small as a U2.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The local constabulary supplies its officers with "D" size batteries only!! If it doesn't take "D" cells they have to buy their own batteries.

ibcj

Enlightened
picard said:
this may be a stupid question but I have to ask you guys. there are so many powerful LED & incandescent lights in the market. If a police officer decide to use a SF U2 or C3 as duty light, would he be reprimand by the PD dept for illegal use of unauthorized equipment?

Does the officer have to use the crappy flashlight issued by the PD ?

It depends on each PD's policy. Some issue D cell steel lights and some issue a cheap plastic light that takes D cells (which are provided). The reason that they will issue a plastic light is because they want to discourage the use of the flashlight as a striking object. Most police academys only teach to strike with an authorized baton, PR24, asp, etc. Most officers will buy their own higher powered rechargable light. The only time carrying the unauthorized/issued light would be an issue is if they hit someone with it.

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
I recently asked a Calif. Highway Patrol motorcycle officer about that and he said all CHP's have to use what the state issues them. What he was carrying didn't look like a Lion Cub or even a LED light-I don't remember what it was but might have been a Mag. He mentioned something about uniformity and that makes sense. In an emergency situation what would it look like if an officer's flashlight failed because it wasn't tested out by the state?

Steve

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the cops I know carry several flashlights- The ones issued buy their office and TWO good ones of their own choice. You know- Batteries die and bulbs break...

The main requirement is that they are BLACK>>>>

DSCN3715.JPG

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...My AGency simply states that a flashlight is required equipment. Doesn't specify which model, size, material, etc.

The new Academy Graduates are being issued Pelican M-10's (great design, average light output). Past "issued" lights have been 3D size Mags. Basically, it's upto the uniform supply store what the new Recruits get.

Little known fact is that California law requires that all Peace Offices shall be issued a flashlight.

About 95 % of my coworkers use a SL Stinger or one of its varients.

Being the gadget geek of the watch, I've been using a Gladius and rotating a second light. Anything from a SL-20X to a Strion. As longa s I have at least two, I'm o.k.

As for the CHP, they've been using SL-20X's for years. And their lights are marked "California Highway Patrol." Every once in a while, one will show up on Ebay.

--dan

stuart

Newly Enlightened
My department issues Streamlight SL-20's but most people carry a stinger or scorpion on their belts. I carried a G2 for a while until my surefire holster's clip broke.

firefly99

Enlightened
I think any flashlight is ok, for routine patrol.

Only exception is when you are assigned to an oil/gas refinery plant. Then only those flashlights certified explosion proof should be carry in hazardous areas.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm somewhat fortunate that I can carry whatever light I want. Costco HID, not a problem. I was encouraged by the boss to sign out a Maxabeam. Range officers actually insisted that I use my own Surefire M3 for a shoot instead of the issue Stinger. . .just to check it out. I wouldn't be a flashaholic if I were only allowed an "official" flashlight--though I think the issue Stinger is rugged and respectable.

The problem is that one Stinger battery is not going to get you through a night shift unless it is really quiet. One coworker borrowed my M3 when his Stinger battery died--and we're on the afternoon shift. You have to have more than one flashlight, I have learned from experience.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read the recruitment brochure of Toronto police force which it indicate all new rookies must pay for their own equipment. The cost is about $7500.00. Do American PD do the same thing for their new rookies?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind I'm jumping back about 10+ years now... Initially the department I worked for (Alexandria, VA) issued one 2"D" Maglight, but you could also buy a light of your own (we all bought MagChargers, it was the only option). Purchasing MagChargers was so common the dept actually started installing the charging clamp in the patrol cars :laughing: .

Then Streamlight came along and suddenly metal flashlights were outlawed and we were required to carry plastic body lights (even though the streamlights of the time were NOT as good as the Magcharger).

Eventually (just about the time I left LEO work) the compact tactical lights were worth a damn and we were happy to shed weight from our duty belts (which by now had a sidearm, radio, cuffs, gloves, ASP tactical baton, ammo clips, MTM mask, flashlight, etc etc (sheesh we felt like Batman with is utility belt). :huh:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy said:
The local constabulary supplies its officers with "D" size batteries only!! If it doesn't take "D" cells they have to buy their own batteries.

An LED conversion in an issued 2 or 3D-cell light would be ideal for this application due to its extreme durability and stock appearance. If they can carry a 6D Mag, a Tri-Luxeon conversion would be even better. Silverfox's alkaline charts show D-cells are happy at ~1 amp, and we know how bad the alkaline discharge curve is so LED is the way to go. Just carry a small tactical light too.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
This is easy, Mag 85 on the belt, with an costco HID in the trunk, U2 around the ankle, Arc AAA on the keyring, Orb raw hanging on the mirror, and a few luxeons mounted in the badge that can go to strobe mode like the gladius! :rock: :rock: :rock:

-PSM

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If police can carry nightsticks, what's the big deal about a metal flashlight? I'm not being sarcastic, just not seeing the point about plastic lights deterring that kind of violent act. Can some one explain?

:huh2:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights do no require certification as most asp or clubs do to be carried. Flashlights are considered different legally as weapons. Using a Flashlight for defense is considered differently. Recurring theme.

Cymro

Newly Enlightened
That's funny....most cops down my way carry 4D maglites precisely because they do double duty as a flashlight and a nightstick.
Of course, this is a much different operational enviroment.