Opera browser now is FREE!!! (no ads)

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using a Celeron 433 with 196MB of RAM for browsing connected to DSL.

I've been comparing the latest Opera with the Firefox Beta 1. I've been switching between Firefox and Opera for the past couple of days and I've noticed that Firefox seems to be less taxing on resources. I can open close to 20 tabs on FF before my systems slows down while in Opera, I can't even get to 10 before my system begins to crawl. Some pages load incompletely in Opera even when it states it's already done. When FF says it's complete, it's really complete. I usually load multiple pages simultaneously.

Empath

Flashaholic
I like Opera, and use it occasionally. The main reason it's not my default browser is due to improper rendering of occasional sites. Although you have your choice of emulating IE, Mozilla, or Opera mode, it still renders some sites improperly.

chrisse242

Enlightened
Well, I found some sites to be working with IE/Opera but not with Firefox. Some other Sites are working with IE/firefox but not with Opera. Now that I have Opera and Firefox, I don't need no **'*%§%" IE any longer.

Chrisse

Cuba

Newly Enlightened
PhotonBoy said:
I'm already using Firefox and like it quite a lot, particularly the tabbed browsing and all the extensions available. Is there a really good reason to switch to Opera from Firefox?
Not really, I use both, but I use Opera more, I just like it better, more intuitive, and lots of little things, like when you have a new tab the cursor is already in the address bar. Firefox is good because of it's extensions, I use it on my USB stick as it's easier to make portable than Opera.

The guy that heads Opera is also the guy that wrote most of the CSS specifications, so you know that it will be standards compliant.

cy

Flashaholic
Firefox has been working fine for me. so got no reason to change.

way too much trouble to keep track of several sets of bookmarks, form info etc.

now if Firefox was not up to par in ANY way. I'd be installing Opera in a heatbeat.

Cuba

Newly Enlightened
Empath said:
I like Opera, and use it occasionally. The main reason it's not my default browser is due to improper rendering of occasional sites. Although you have your choice of emulating IE, Mozilla, or Opera mode, it still renders some sites improperly.
If you are reffering to the Microsoft sites in that comment, that is because MS has a custom stylesheet for Opera browsers that makes the elements on the page have the wrong positions, people think this is Opera's fault. If a site is standards compliant, it will be rendered correctly in Opera.

Empath

Flashaholic
I'm not talking about Microsoft's sites. I'm talking about the occasional sites that render some sites with the text centered on a page, instead of left justified. I'll agree the sites likely have something configured improperly and non-standard. However, since both IE and Mozilla render it properly, Opera should be able to also.

I'm not inclined to use a browser that requires contacting the sites asking them to change it for my browser. I'm more inclined to expect the browser to adapt to what others can handle.

Empath

Flashaholic
Okay, I've been trying to give Opera another chance. After a bit of tweaking, I've eliminated most of the text justification problems. One problem doesn't seem correctable, at least not through Opera's engine. Some links simply don't do anything. Both IE and Firefox treat the links properly, but not Opera. Since the link is a necessary link on a financial institution I check often, it's essential that it works properly.

I'll agree that the problem is most likely on the financial site's end, and they're using non-standard code. Still, since the two other most-used browsers handle the link properly, Opera should too, whether standard or not. Webmaster's should no longer have to concern themselves with making sure their sites address every browser; browsers should make sure they address any expected common pecularity at a site. Internet Explorer and Mozzila apparently does. Opera doesn't.

It's a cute toy, and interesting to use, but of no practical full-use value. As is, on a 1 to 10 scale, I'd rate it a 2. If they fix that problem, I'd rate it very high. Without the fix, it's just a toy.

Edit: Incidentally, a new version was introduced in the last couple of days. The problem still isn't corrected.

Cuba

Newly Enlightened
Empath said:
I'm not talking about Microsoft's sites. I'm talking about the occasional sites that render some sites with the text centered on a page, instead of left justified. I'll agree the sites likely have something configured improperly and non-standard. However, since both IE and Mozilla render it properly, Opera should be able to also.

I'm not inclined to use a browser that requires contacting the sites asking them to change it for my browser. I'm more inclined to expect the browser to adapt to what others can handle.
That is precisely the problem with 80% of the websites out there, people design them for IE, since that is the most popular browser, IE is very forgiving in it's rendering engine so most developers are lax in conforming to the standards. Standards that are 10 years old mind you, you would think that would be long enough for the developers to notice, apparently not.

Can you tell this is one of my biggest annoyances? :)

Some guy on an Opera forum said:
IE/Mozilla are more forgiving with pages that does not comply with official standard. Opera is trying to be the most standard compliant browser on the market because the consequence of everyone compromising to the old standard is the web will not improve by making use of newer technology.
Empath said:
Okay, I've been trying to give Opera another chance. After a bit of tweaking, I've eliminated most of the text justification problems. One problem doesn't seem correctable, at least not through Opera's engine. Some links simply don't do anything. Both IE and Firefox treat the links properly, but not Opera. Since the link is a necessary link on a financial institution I check often, it's essential that it works properly.
Unfortunately, banks are the worst offenders, but the bank sites I have tried here in Australia seem to work great, have you tried hitting F12 and changing the browser identifier, or possibly the popup settings??

Empath

Flashaholic
Cuba said:
That is precisely the problem with 80% of the websites out there, people design them for IE, since that is the most popular browser, IE is very forgiving in it's rendering engine so most developers are lax in conforming to the standards. Standards that are 10 years old mind you, you would think that would be long enough for the developers to notice, apparently not.

Can you tell this is one of my biggest annoyances? :)

Unfortunately, banks are the worst offenders, but the bank sites I have tried here in Australia seem to work great, have you tried hitting F12 and changing the browser identifier, or possibly the popup settings??

The link doesn't have anything to do with a popup, and it doesn't matter whether I set Opera for Mozilla, IE, or Opera mode; it doesn't work.

Yes, I can tell it's an annoyance to you. It's apparently an annoyance to Opera too. I just don't want to join with Opera trying to push them into standardized operation only. I would expect Opera to accept sloppy writing to the same extent IE and Firefox do, if they want a competitive share of the market. Urging standards is one thing, but refusing to accept both the standard and non-standard in the same manner the competition does is another. They could always add a fourth mode of operation. Then they'd have Opera mode, Mozilla mode, IE mode, and Sloppy mode.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy cows. I tried running Opera. All the text is centered. It looks like a completely different site. I've never seen this before and I've had Opera in my Quick Launch for two years. I probably haven't used it in several months though.

Other sites show up as normal. Obviously CPF is non-standard. If I could find the internet police web site, I'd report you guys. :)

Actually I like it this way. Whenever I get tired of the same old CPF, I can just run Opera.