Need 2 x 123's light for car emergencies

pelks

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for a light to store in the glove box of my 2 cars for a emergency, ie
flat tire, engine problems.
I would like it to be a LED type maybe a 1W Luxeon.
The reason I want a 2 X lithium light is for the long shelf life.
Something around AU$50-70 would be ideal.
Im looking at a Streamlight Scorpion LED.
Any recommendations?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
pelks wrote: "The reason I want a 2 X lithium light is for the long shelf life.
Im looking at a Streamlight Scorpion LED."

The regular Xenon Streamlight Scorpion is one of my favorite incandescent lights.

However for long term storage in possibly extreme temperatures I'm a little cautious about multiple Lithium celled lights.

Please take a look at this sticky thread -

A Little Accident. W/123's and a Peli. M6 (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

I know of many who have used multi CR123 lights for years without problems (and that includes me) - but long term storage (with possibly extreme temperatures - like in a car's glove box) probably puts the risk of one of the lithium cells becoming more discharged than the other.... and then there is (even if remote) the possibility of of an explosion - not very desirable in a confined space such as a car........

freeze12

Enlightened
Consider the Nuwai Q3. It is 3 watt,operates on a single lithium 123,is bright with nice sidespill & is small.

Frank Rizzo

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Surefire C2 with a gen1 KL3. Provides enough light for most circumstances and has a 4 hour runtime. Not to mention it looks freakin sweet with a SW02 tailcap.

http://www.trotha.net/images/M2_set_02.jpg

Unfortunately, this is not my light but it's just like it. (Except for the C2/M2 differences.) I lack the digital camera and whatnot to shoot my own photos.
Yeah... you know you're droolin. :naughty:

Last edited:

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
All of my cars have a UK 2L with the eLED lamp. Gives a long runtime in a tiny package that won't accidently get turned on.

As an aside, the 123 batteries only lasted 4 years in the harsh glove box environment. None had been used more than a couple of minutes.

rmcnelly

Newly Enlightened

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
pelks said:
Im looking for a light to store in the glove box of my 2 cars for a emergency...looking at a Streamlight Scorpion LED. Any recommendations?
I've had the Scorpion LED and Scorpion incandescent. Both are superb lights.

The LED version has a fairly tight beam, similar to the Propoly Lux 4AA. The incandescent version has lots of output and a focusable beam. The Scorpion is very compact, with a quality feel and nice rubber covered handle.

Another similar priced LED light, but with lots of output is the Nuwai TM-301X-5. It has a somewhat broad beam, probably good for car emergency work:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x5.htm

In general I think you want lots of output for vehicle emergency work. You might need to change a tire, warn passing vehicles, etc.

Another good item for vehicle emergencies are LED emergency flashers. They're similar to the old flammable flares:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/keystone_flarealert.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/sdg_turboflare360.htm

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Consider the Inova X5T LED ($30-35). It's tough, gives you 10+ hrs. runtime, and its wide flood beam is perfect for roadside auto repairs -- without the glare you might get from more potent incan lights. No incan bulb to burn-out at the wrong time.

Given your $70 budget, the Inova X5 purchase still gives you enough $$ left to buy a 2nd light that's good for other highway work: directing traffic at an accident, etc., where you'll need a strong incan beam to cut through headlight's ambient-light glare, shadows, etc. Perhaps a big ol' Mag-Charger or SL Stinger would be better for this 2nd task, but it'd throw you $50-75 over budget. Neither are glove-compartment size, but they're proven benchmark lights.

Another cheaper way to go for your incan/throw light is the old Mag 3 or 4 D light for $20. Just change the D-cells once a year. The Mag'll fit under your seat... and it makes a dandy Car-Jacker-basher -- unless you're opposed to that kind of (*cough*) un-P.C. behavior.

Another dual purpose light that is a compromise but actually fills both these (above) roles is the SL 2L Twin Task (LED/incan combo) for about $30-35.

My own deal is an Inova X5 plus a Mag 3D... in addition to the SF E2/KL1 and Peak Matterhorn always in-pockets/on-body. I'm going to retire my 3D and replace it with a Stinger one of these days. However, having been involved in a handful of serious night-time accidents -- some where nobody else, including the cops and EMT's, had adequate flashlights -- I'm a true believer in having "too many" onboard lights for the various emergency permutations awaiting when it's "your turn."

nc987

Enlightened
Just get 2 Surefire G2's not LED's obviously, but for the brightness, price and the Surefire guarantee it cant be beat.

Hans

Enlightened
UnknownVT said:
However for long term storage in possibly extreme temperatures I'm a little cautious about multiple Lithium celled lights.

Same here. The more I've read about lithium cells both here and elsewhere the more cautious I've become about multiple celled lights. If it has to be a lithium celled light I'd probably go for a single celled light like the Nuwai Q3 and keep a couple of spares in the car.

Another possibility, and one I'd probably prefer, is a UK 4AA eLED running on alkalines. Just remember to change the batteries every six months or so. The advantage is that if you get stuck somewhere you can get fresh AAs virtually everywhere.

Hans

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
nc987 said:
Just get 2 Surefire G2's not LED's obviously, but for the brightness, price and the Surefire guarantee it cant be beat.

That's what I was thinking. Or you could get 1 G2 and a spares carrier (or two) full of batteries and a spare lamp assembly.

G2 -- $34.00
P60 lamp assy -- $17.00
SC1 Spares Carrier -- $16.00
half box of batts -- $15.00 / 2 = $7.50

That's $74.50 and 4 hours of light that can be left alone for up to 10 years.

I don't know if I'd worry about battery availability. If you are buying batteries, you are pretty much past needing a stashed light.

Scott

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hans said:
Same here. The more I've read about lithium cells both here and elsewhere the more cautious I've become about multiple celled lights. If it has to be a lithium celled light I'd probably go for a single celled light like the Nuwai Q3 and keep a couple of spares in the car.

Another possibility, and one I'd probably prefer, is a UK 4AA eLED running on alkalines. Just remember to change the batteries every six months or so. The advantage is that if you get stuck somewhere you can get fresh AAs virtually everywhere.

Hans

How 'bout a Fenix L1P loaded with a lithium AA- this way, you've got the single celled lithium for long term storage, but also have the ease of finding AAs when you need them on the go.

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
I also recommend the Surefire G2. Before I traded mine off, it went through two hot summers in the car in North Carolina with no ill effects. When I get back, Im buying another one.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
For car emergencies have you thought about an Eternalight???

http://www.techass.com/

Sidewhite.jpg

back.jpg

This light would be ideal for you, it is regulated, it runs off of 3 AA lthium bateries. Not 123's, but the lithiums have a longer shelf life than reg. alkalines. If you notice the second picture that is a magnet on the back, You can stick it to your car, and it will shine where you want it, dont worry about holding it in your mouth or armpit, while you change the flat!!! Also this light has different modes, including strobe, S.O.S., attenetion getting mode, and a few others. If you were broke down on the side of the road, you could stick the light on the trunk, put it on Attention getting mode, people would see you for two miles before they got to you!!!

The price for the EliteMax (pictured above) is 74.99, if you order be sure to get the CPF edition, which alows you to switch leds, with different colors. Please note that due to no reflector there is not a huge amount of throw. It is similar to an Inova X5, with a great amount of flood. Perfect for roadside emergencies IMO.

Even if you still want an 2x123 light, throw this in your glove box, because its worth its weight in gold just for the attention getting mode. (that you place on your with the magnet car so traffic can see you)

Go to the website and watch the Video, thats what convinced me.
Here's the link: Video for Eternalight.

Take care,
PSM

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
go with the PM6 3w. it has great throw and decnet flood. Strong too.

-David

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of great lights suggested here!

For what it is worth, I figured the chances of a dirt-simple light like the SureFire G2 and two lamp assemblies failing was just about nil. I had a spare P60 lamp and some other stuff laying around, so the only extra purchase here was the G2.

Below is what will go into my wife's rig tonight. An SC1 spares carrier fully loaded, the G2 tied to the spares carrier (loop can slip off for use), and an Inova keychain light for good measure.
wifetrucklight5jq.jpg

Scott

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting