River Rock Lantern - No Target has it! What gives?

ChiefScott1701

Newly Enlightened
Hi--

I've been lurking for awhile, and learning quite a bit. I thought I'd speak up because everybody has me convinced that for my first emergency lantern, I should get a River Rock lantern. However, Tar-jay doesn't have it. They have tons of other River Rock items, but no lantern. And they don't have it online. I've phoned 5 Targets nearby, and none have it. What gives? Any good alternates for Jupiter or Luxeon powered lanterns? Or anywhere to buy it online?

Or---anybody care to pick me one up and mail it? :wave:

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
Well they certainly have had them although apparently not consistantly at every store or region. I bought mine a couple weeks ago here in No. California... or as our Governator says "Kaleefornyeea".

Have patience and keep checking. Perhaps they have sold faster than expected. It sounds like Target is checking out the idea of carrying more high tech flashlights for the discerning masses :) Someday I envision a locked case of $40+ lights near the counter... LOL

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
All the Targets here that have the new LED light displays up had them... but I think they only got about 4-6 for each store as now one only has one left. Perhaps word is out enough on some of the LED lights people that are not flashaholics are starting to buy them before we get there.

dehnehsu

Newly Enlightened
Been to 6 Targets in Northern Calif. with repeat visits to some in the Bay Area and have never seen the lantern. The River Rock AAA is also scarce. I finally spotted the Silver version of the RR and only a couple Black ones a few times.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The River Rock Lantern seems to be getting just as hard to find as the Osram Lantern.

dsc011408zk.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I saw two of them at my local Target yesterday. I don't think there are that many flashaholics in my area, or they would've been gone in a flash.
:huh:

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I've had a different experience. There are two Targets I frequent, and I've seen the lantern at both every time I visit, the exception being when all the lights were cleaned out in preparation for Rita.

BEpsilon

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking for this RR lantern or the Energizer Accent lantern for a while now... No luck AT ALL. No one sells either one.

wwglen

Enlightened
The energizer Accent lights have been long gone at Target.

You CAN still find them at some Big Lots.

Look in the sporting goods / flashlight / tool section. The few I have seen left are usually on the TOP shelf where it is hard to see and get to.

wwglen

BEpsilon

Newly Enlightened
Man, looks like the ONLY way to get one is thru a WTB post here...

Anyone could get one for me? Please? :(

I prefer the Accent lantern, as I am thinking of integrating a FM radio in it.

Please help, thanks.

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havent here either. I want one to keep at my desk at work.

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
The 2 Target stores in my area had at least 2 each within the past 2 days.

Have you spoken to the store managers about ordering them? I'd go that route first, then get someone to buy one for you if that doesn't work out.

I'd be willing to pick a couple up for people, but I think the shipping would be a bit prohibitive (they are relatively heavy - I would guess shipping would be on the order of $5-7).

BTW, campmor has the Osram-like 5mm LED-based lanterns (not sure if they are rebranded Osrams or not, but the have them on the website)

I did pick up one of the RR lanterns - the glare (as reported) is pretty harsh - a layer of transparent shelf-liner makes for a nice diffuse beam.

Sam

not2bright

Enlightened
I found three today at two different Targets.

Sorry to post this when some can't even find one, but be sure to look over the RR lantern before purchase. The first one I brought home had the Jupiter mounted off-center. This caused the already ringy beam to be asymetrical. In addition the rubber switch has something brown and funky molded in to it. This looks like it happened during the injection molding process and was possibly burnt material.

I returned that light and looked over the other two. Both of these had centered Jupiters, but as I was walking to the exchange counter, I noticed that the plastic housing that holds the cone shaped reflector was tilted rather than perfectly vertical. I returned that one to the shelf and got the only good one of the bunch.

And finally, is it just me, or does it feel like you are going to break the light in half removing the battery cover for the first time. I thought it had been accidentially glued shut during manufacturing. A little silicone grease on the o-ring and "threads" helped a bunch.

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Yes, I nearly had to grow some more muscles to open that battery cover the first time. :) After opening and closing it a few times, it seems easier to turn now.

BEpsilon

Newly Enlightened
Flotsam said:
...then get someone to buy one for you if that doesn't work out.

Anyone could help me out please? Just look'in for one lantern.

I'm in Canada, so there is no Big Lots, no Target, and no Walmart... Well, we've got Walmart but they don't carry these stuff.

Thanks in advance.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up two of the lanterns at my second Target yesterday. One for me and one for any deserving CPF member. I made it 90% of the way to the checkout stand when I found my cousin in law and his family shopping. "What have you got there? Oh, is it good? Do you need two of them ? My family could use an emergency lantern this winter." :sigh:

I ended up walking out of Target with just one lantern...my cousin in law got the second one. :sigh:

I'll keep looking! There is a third Target up the road and another one a little further. :)

RogerDodger

Newly Enlightened
I picked up two the same day I first read about them here at CPF (thank you fellow flashaholics). Love the little guys! I've been using one every day for reading in bed (too hard to reach the floor lamp), and still on the original batteries. But after multiple trips cruising local Targets in the Seattle area for more since then - no joy. Every display rack is empty of the lanterns and the AA and AAAs lights too. Darn.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw 2 River Rock Lanterns at Target in Gardena, California. Phone number for Gardena, Target is 310-327-0762.

dsc011445hl.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting