Who hates the new-style kl1??!!

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can you possible hate this head?? I edc it on my e1e.. Its PERRRRTY.. How can someone hate it?!.. Its the perfect light for its size.

-tom

Mark2

Enlightened
"Hate" is the wrong word, it's just that it doesn't throw like other 3W lights that use reflectors, and it doesn't offer the smooth and useful sidespill of these lights either. Add the strange squarish beam pattern and you know why not everybody "loves" the KL1. :)

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
there were a lot of mixed answers about this b/c there are many spill people, and many spot people. I personally am a spot person, and I think the KL1 is a great improvement over the old version.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
I went to Cabela's today during lunch to decide if I wanted to buy an E2L or an L4 (based on questions in my other thread). I got to take an E1L, E2L and an L4 into the shooting range (which is fairly dark with lots of nooks and crannies) to try out.

I dunno. I had thought I made my mind up to buy a L4 based on other folks recommendations here in CPF, but I think the KL1 may suit my needs. I surely didn't see the $60 dollar difference. (Retail prices that is...)

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Well, I love my E2/KL1. It's become my Never Leave Home Without It/EDC light. Here's why...

1. PORTABILITY: Its size/form make it eminently pocketable, though the nifty L4 ties it in this respect. I stuff my E2/KL1 into a modified ballistic nylon .38 snubby holster slipped into a front pocket and it stays there... quietly.

2. VERSATILITY: While the L4 is a great light-up-a-room-with-a-wall-of-light flooder, the KL1 ain't no slouch, but ya gotta use the "ceiling-bounce" technique to get the KL1 to work well inside. Edge to the L4. But wait! There's more -- more than just "inside" work for my EDC light.

There's OUTSIDE work. And here's where the KL1's tight throw beam shines. It's got about 30% more throw than the vaunted L2 and nearly doubles the L4's throw. If I need to light up some ambient-light-cluttered shadows 50 ft. out during a night walk, or search the backyard for bumps in the night, the E2/KL1 is up to the task. Now, the L4's broad flood beam might be "easier" for momentarily stunning the eyes of a close-up mugger while under all-thumbs stress, but the KL1's concentrated beam can be adapted for this task with moderate practice and situational awareness. It's not perfect for those jobs where a potent incan is often better, but it gets the job done.

3. RUNTIME: The E2/KL1 (or the identical E2L) doubles the L4's runtime. For an EDC light, or a deluxe back-up, or "battery-carrier" for a more potent first-line light, that's a major advantage. If I've clocked an hour on my KL1's batteries -- and then my main flashlight's (Z2, or C2, or Peli M6) batteries die -- there's enough juice in my KL1's cells to power the latter light for a while. With the L4, it's doubtful.

It all depends on what you want the tool to do.

For my multi-task needs, the E2/KL1 (or E2L) is the perfect EDC AND back-up light. It's a compromise, but it does so many things capably and efficiently. If I had to sell all my lights but one (Oh, man! The horror!) the E2/KL1 would be the Keeper.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ditto Tonkin's thoughts! I have to keep adding...throw a beamshaper and a two stage switch on it and it's the best of both worlds - very versatile!!

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
After having owned the old KL-1 head I was not initially impressed with the new KL-1 because my expectations were to use the light up close. I didn't like the fact that it doesn't have much sidespill. I first used it on an E1e body and then an E2e body.

The E2e incan was my EDC light and I still like it for its power and size when the batteries are fresh. After the E2e dims it's not so great. This is where the KL1 head comes in. Long after the E2e dims the KL1 head shines at full power still. If you actually compare the E2e to the KL1 on two cells the two are darn near the same brightness with the E2e having a smoother beam and lots of sidespill. If you use the KL1 outside at a decent distance the beam spreads out well and is a good tool. You can't beat the runtime too. I think that the KL1 may render the E2e nearly obsolete. I prefer the E2e's beam though.

I have been using the beamshaper which is perfect for upclose work and inside use. Pull it off outside and get the throw. It runs for four hours. It is great for using up depleted 123 batteries and runs very well on Pila 168s rechargables.

I guess I have come around and have come to like the new KL1. It would be perfect if it's beam pattern could be more like the E2e's.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marktwo.. let us analyze that... Name a single-cell 3-watt light with greater throw, better runtime, equal-or-less price, and similar size..

-tom