More Canadian light discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Canadian Tire now carries the 15MCP Thor.. $99, ouch..
Home Depots Husky brand has put a few new ones on the shelf, a "cable light" is one, there is also a digital display on some chrome rechargable light, looks pretty fancy :) .
Also, Home Depot has the Energizer "Tough" series now too.. Oddly, I like the looks of those.

not2bright

Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
Canadian Tire now carries the 15MCP Thor.. $99, ouch..

Ouch is right.

Why don't you have one of the US members that live close to a Costco get one for $30 and send it up? I would think shipping would be much less than $70, even with insurance.

Not necessarily volunteering, but I wouldn't want to see anyone pay 100 bones for this light. That said, it is probably worth that considering it's performance.

Vortex

Newly Enlightened
not2bright said:
Ouch is right.

Why don't you have one of the US members that live close to a Costco get one for $30 and send it up? I would think shipping would be much less than $70, even with insurance.

Not necessarily volunteering, but I wouldn't want to see anyone pay 100 bones for this light. That said, it is probably worth that considering it's performance.

I wish I would have done that with the Costco HID. It's shame Canadian Costco never carried it. But I would not pay a Hundred bucks canadian for the Thor, when it is half price across the border. Even If we factor in the exchange rate we always end up paying more for everything here :(

pathalogical

Enlightened
At Canadian Tire, I bought a Noma 1 watt Luxeon WHITE LED (65-2106-4). Anyone else happen to have one of these ? I don't like it ! What's with the bluish tint if it says white ? The packaging says "Produces a brilliantly white light...". This is going back to the refund counter. They also had xenon lights by Noma as well. Cheaper too, if I remember correctly.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
  • Noma 1 W Luxeon LED flashlight
  • 10 times brighter than incandescent bulbs
  • Two-function switch: 100% and 50%
  • Power extends battery life
  • Super-bright white LED lasts up to 100,000 hours
  • Easy loading battery cartridge holds three AAA batteries
  • Lifetime guarantee
0652106_450_CC_4d007.jpg

Noma 1W Luxeon LED Flashlight

Doesn't look too bad by the pic and the specs; too bad you find it too bluish. 50% is nice to extend the life of the AAA cells. I'll pass though, since I don't like paying double for 1/2 the life of AA cells.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get about 2 hours from 3AAA NiMH on my Nexxtech super 1 watt. Ray-O-vac 800mAH IC3 or Emillion's 900mAH Shoshone.

The problem is finding a charger that will charge 3 batteries. The only ones I found are the big Ray-O-Vac universal and Pure Energy chargers. With the exception of their latest one the Pure Energy chargers require Pure Energy rechargeable alkalines.

Tactical Sponge

Newly Enlightened
Just returned from my local Canadian Tire. In addition to the NOMA lights mentioned by other posters, I also spotted a NOMA 1 AAA white Nichia LED pocket light. The price is about $12.99 CDN. Twist-head switch, Type II anodizing that comes in silver, black, light green, and amber (may be other colours I missed). This light may give the Dorcy AAA a run for its money. I might pick one up next time I'm there.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
new@sears CANADA sale

save $10
Craftsman Endurable LED flashlights
#39304/05/08
Sears reg. 29.99-39.99
19.99-29.99

Sale prices start sat nov 12 & end fri nov18 2005
There is a scratch & save sat & sun I think

Pictures on flyer show a headlamp, a 4AA stubby SS w rubber ends and a long SS w rubber ends.

Cannot find those model #s on Sears or Craftsman website but came across these sale items at sears.ca
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...1&storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=158302305
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...1&storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=158302307
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...1&storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=158302302

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went grocery shopping at Furtinos (now owned by Loblaws) today. They have a small flashlight section consisting of Dorcy illuminators and camping lanterns. Looked different today. Took a closer look. There is a stack of Mag Solitaires at $7.98 each. Right next is a stack of Dorcy AAAs at $11.98. Never saw those two side by side before. The supermarket is moving upscale (even if just slightly).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm poor.....
The latest Canadian Tire flyer has a small item - Noma lights on sale sat to friday Nov25. So I went to take a look. Most of the lights seem identical to the Garrity at Walmart. Walmartr does not have the 1 watters or AAA keychain.
Ignored the 1 watt flashlight as I have a Nexxtech equivalent.
The keychain looked cute but has a lumpy head. I always seem to scratch a light when I try to remove an attached keychain or lanyard. So I passed.
Then I saw the 1 watt headlamp. I paid C$30+tax. Cheap plastic construction. There is a switch underneath to select blink or steady mode. It gets bumped into the blink mode too easily. It is still the best headlight I got so far. But I'm poor.

pathalogical

Enlightened
LEDninja said:
I'm poor.....
The latest Canadian Tire flyer has a small item - Noma lights on sale sat to friday Nov25. So I went to take a look. Most of the lights seem identical to the Garrity at Walmart. Walmartr does not have the 1 watters or AAA keychain.
Ignored the 1 watt flashlight as I have a Nexxtech equivalent.
The keychain looked cute but has a lumpy head. I always seem to scratch a light when I try to remove an attached keychain or lanyard. So I passed.
Then I saw the 1 watt headlamp. I paid C$30+tax. Cheap plastic construction. There is a switch underneath to select blink or steady mode. It gets bumped into the blink mode too easily. It is still the best headlight I got so far. But I'm poor.
You say you're poor !!! Then get on over to The Source (Radio Shack) and pick up your FREE flashlight. That's right, FREE flashlight. It's a 3 D cell rubber coated light. You'll need the flyer to cut out the coupon on the front page. It puts out lots of light, great for keeping it in the car, or in your junk drawer. Not sure about your neck of the woods in Hamilton, but here in Toronto I got a free flashlight !!!

tch_popeye

Newly Enlightened
For only $12 more than you paid for the CT item, you could pick up a PrincetonTec EOS from MEC. Flashlightreviews.com rates this as one of the best headlamps going. I'll be picking one up this week... so I may be biased.

-Trev

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
If anyone is looking for Halogen 6.0 V or 6.5 V or KPR118 bulbs, or TerraLux 3W LED, try going to:
http://www.be-electronics.com

I was at their Regina store yesterday to buy a box of the KPR118 (I had to order them), they showed me that they had 2 of the TerraLux in stock, and said that their Calgary store has several in stock. I could have ordered the HPR bulbs, but will try out the KPR118 bulbs first.

savumaki

Enlightened
pathalogical said:
At Canadian Tire, I bought a Noma 1 watt Luxeon WHITE LED (65-2106-4). Anyone else happen to have one of these ? I don't like it ! What's with the bluish tint if it says white ? The packaging says "Produces a brilliantly white light...". This is going back to the refund counter. They also had xenon lights by Noma as well. Cheaper too, if I remember correctly.

My son bought one for the deer hunt; it lasted for two cycles while he was showing it :rant:

mrpeter105

Newly Enlightened
LEDninja said:
new@sears CANADA sale

save $10
Craftsman Endurable LED flashlights
#39304/05/08
Sears reg. 29.99-39.99
19.99-29.99

Sale prices start sat nov 12 & end fri nov18 2005
There is a scratch & save sat & sun I think

Pictures on flyer show a headlamp, a 4AA stubby SS w rubber ends and a long SS w rubber ends.

Cannot find those model #s on Sears or Craftsman website but came across these sale items at sears.ca
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...1&storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=158302305
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...1&storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=158302307
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...1&storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=158302302

Hi:

Thanks for posting that. I bought the headlamp for $20 cdn ( a little cheaper than the website). My first headlamp and first luxeon light as well. The ad says that it comes with a red filter. However that is incorrect. It actually comes with a red led. The tint seems greenish but isn't bad at all and the output is still white enough. It cycles from red to low to high. I checked the current levels and they are red led = 22 ma, low = 120 ma and high = 180 ma. switching between low and high I couldn't really notice any difference. That's why I measured the currents. I like it but wish they would have added some white leds as well. Also it doesn't feel cheap at all. it is a bit heavy though. So once again thanks for posting that. You saved me 10 bucks.

EDIT:

I should add that it has a decent spot and sidespill. Also I think the sale for the those flashlights/headlamp actually goes until the 25th. I'm 75% certain of that. Also if they don't have it in stock, ask for a raincheck and they'll write one up for you. I wanted to check out the 3d but they didn't have any, so they wrote me up a raincheck. I don't know if I want to get it because I don't think it has an adjustable focus like the Dorcy 3D has. Although it does have 2 illumination levels, not sure if the Dorcy has that.
So i'm not sure if I want to get it. Oh well.

EDIT2:

here are the packaging details.

Craftsman Endurable 1 watt L.E.D 939308
stainless steel and rubber headlamp

triple function leds deliver 3 levels of illumination
* runs up to 150 hours on standard red led
* 20 hours on full brightness
* 40 hours on half brightness

solid state leds never need replacing
* stainless steel and rubber construction
* headlamp pivots 90 degrees
* adjustable straps
* lightweight
* water resistant
* hands free lighting

uses 3aaa batteries included. 1 year warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.