got rid of earthlink and SBC

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I felt a bit strange, I got rid of the only internet provider I've had, which was originally Mindspring, now earthlink. After combining my adsl service with my phone service,(equipment upgrade, not my choice) neither worked properly, dropped phone calls, terribly noisy line and no way to resolve the issues. So, I had rcn install a new cable modem and separate phone line on their fiber optic system, now i'm getting 7 mb down and 800 mb up speeds. My phone line is quiet but I'm still feeling a bit strange.38 years of local phone service and 9 years with one internet provier, oh well, that's progress.
I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for a really good, attractive ,personalized internet start page?

TorchMan

Enlightened
One of the reasons I yanked YahooDSLPro was because it never worked for long, and the speeds were rarely within the promised parameters. The modem was down three or four times a week, starting about a month after I got it. They blamed my house wiring, the carpet causing static, my filters for the phone lines, everything but the kitchen sink. I had some nice techs come out and check all the wires twice. They really worked and stayed almost four hours each time.

They did not build the router right at first either, and that seemed to fix things, for a short while when they rebuilt it. I had so many case numbers, and all the other ones they assigned, I had to start a log book. And when the DSL crashed, or was about too, there would usually be a high pitched ringing on my end of the line when people on the other end spoke. They could not hear it though.

So one day the cable company called, and offered me teaser rates to change, especially as I had Dish through SBC as well. More channels, less cost than what I was paying for basic package with Dish. And high speed internet via cable. It meant my purchased modem from SBC was a paperweight, but hey, I had to do it. And SBC tried to stick me with some contract bunk, and no contract was a big part of me using their services in the first place. I did get them to stop that claim, but had to find a good service rep first that would do it.

So, the cable modem works fine, almost never crashes. It's faster too, but nowhere near the speed you seem to get. But it works, and I can't say that for the several months I endured DSL.

And most of my cable channels are better quality, except for the basic channels, which were better with Dish. Also, Dish could tell me nothing about more HD channels, they had only five. Even though VOOM was being acquired by them, as it had been kinda related to Dish all along, the knew nothing. Plus, my Dish did out more than the cable does, but it was not as bad as every storm or cloud interrupting it.

The cable has tried to convince me to go digital phone, and I've considered it. But, I'll wait. I feel better with the diversity, and a good old fashioned land line still has advantages, especially since I keep a phone with cord for emergencies. And if the cable goes down for some reason, I don't lose everthing. So for the efforts of some of their employees, and the reliablity, I stay with them for phone service. Besides, if I understood what news I read on the Net, they'll be changing the name to AT&T soon.