Anyone ever buy HID headlight kits from here?

That_Guy

Enlightened
Those kits are both illegal and very dangerous. You can't just replace the bulb, you must replace the entire reflector because standard reflectors aren't designed for HID bulbs which causes dangerous glare. Also those bulbs are likely crappy quality because they aren't made by one of the big 3 (Phillips, Osram, GE)

Why it is bad: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

This place sells complete packages including the reflector, which are legal and safe:
http://www.hidplanet.com/

Waterfish

Newly Enlightened
That_guy is right. Your standard halogen headlights arent designed to focus the arc of the HID bulb onto the road properly. The result is alot of glare that goes everywhere but the road.

I finished my own retrofit last night on my 1997 BMW.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431665&highlight=tsx

That's my thread, I am known as stopsign there. I took the projectors from an Acura TSX and Hella gen 3 ballast with 4100K Philips Xenarc D2S bulbs.

Keep in mind I used to have Xtec 4500K H1 rebased bulbs in the halogen projectors. Look at the beam pattern comparison further in the thread and look at how it changes. It wasnt even that bad either! You should see a reflector housing with one of those ridiculous 8000K hid kits.

That's really the proper way to do it. Hidplanet has plenty of info, that's where I got started.

freeze12

Enlightened
I have HID's in My 2001 Olds Alero & I aimed the lights down a little & never got the headlight flashing from other drivers since I did this.

Here is a web-site that sell HID kits cheap...great for modders also!

http://www.oznium.com/hid

iced_theater

Enlightened
Waterfish said:
That_guy is right. Your standard halogen headlights arent designed to focus the arc of the HID bulb onto the road properly. The result is alot of glare that goes everywhere but the road.

I finished my own retrofit last night on my 1997 BMW.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431665&highlight=tsx

That's my thread, I am known as stopsign there. I took the projectors from an Acura TSX and Hella gen 3 ballast with 4100K Philips Xenarc D2S bulbs.

Keep in mind I used to have Xtec 4500K H1 rebased bulbs in the halogen projectors. Look at the beam pattern comparison further in the thread and look at how it changes. It wasnt even that bad either! You should see a reflector housing with one of those ridiculous 8000K hid kits.

That's really the proper way to do it. Hidplanet has plenty of info, that's where I got started.

I'd love to just buy some projector headlights for my car, but unfortunatly they don't make them for it *2005 Ford Focus* It just has the single reflector housing for the 9007 bulb

rycen

Enlightened
Waterfish,
very very nice job!Would you have any ideas on retro hid for my truck (94 full size blazer)?

Waterfish

Newly Enlightened
Iced_theater-- that's the idea! You can have just about any headlight, including those of your Focus, and have projectors from a high end car retro'd into them. After the projectors are in, you get a set of D2S bulbs and ballast and then there you have it.

Rycen, I'd need to take a look at it, but it's very possible for just about any car. My BMW was more difficult simply because it's a small headlight. Halogen projector to HID projector retrofits are more difficult than halogen reflector to HID projector retrofits simply because most projector headlights give you less space to work with.

rycen

Enlightened
Well you just tought me something new.I would have thought that it would have been easier to convert the other way around.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only known exception to the rule appears to be the Valeo H7 halogen projectors, which are reported to use the exact same housings as the Valeo HIDs. H2S bulbs pop right into H7 sockets with the aid of a little shim for the clip, and the resulting fit is correctly centered with the proper cutoffs and everything with those housings.

SATURN

Newly Enlightened
Silverstar bulbs are filament bulbs with a slightly blue tinted bulb to increase the color temperature. They are a little brighter than regular headlight bulbs. They are legal and available accross the country for about $35 per pair.

Waterfish

Newly Enlightened
Careful with the Silverstar purchase.

Although Osram is Sylvania's parent company, Osram silverstars and Sylvania silverstars are two different products.

Slyvania silverstars come in cool packaging and have a nice purple/blue tint to their bulbs. They are available at pep boys and autozone. They are also OVERDRIVEN bulbs, and WILL blow after a couple months of use. If you read the fine print on the packaging, they're rated for only 200 or so odd hours, which is ... 2 months of driving!

Osram silverstars on the other hand, do NOT have the cool coating, but arent overdriven. I cannot confirm how long they last, but they SHOULD last long since they arent overdriven.

They are both equally as bright, but the sylvania has to use a higher wattage to compensate for the blue/purple coating and blow out real quick.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waterfish said:
They are also OVERDRIVEN bulbs, and WILL blow after a couple months of use. If you read the fine print on the packaging, they're rated for only 200 or so odd hours, which is ... 2 months of driving!

great i have those in my truck!!

iced_theater

Enlightened
They sell Silverstars, I have those *not currently in my car* but have PIAA bulbs in their now. The link should of taken you to the HID product I was looking at, but I guess it didn't. I'd make my own projectors, but I don't have the first clue how to, and I use the car as my daily transportation. I guess I'll have to wait until some aftermarket company makes a projector kit for my car, though I would love to have those Acura TL projectors as they look the best to me.

Orbit

Enlightened
iced_theater said:
I'd love to just buy some projector headlights for my car, but unfortunatly they don't make them for it *2005 Ford Focus* It just has the single reflector housing for the 9007 bulb

No but they do make a HID version.
don't know what they are worth, but i put a set on focus 2 days ago. if you search the net for Ford focus aftermarket headlights os similar you should come up with some thing.