Questions about GSM phone & the Philippines...

danielo_d

Enlightened
Hey guys! Need your expertise...

Going to the Philippines for a coupla weeks for my brother-in-law's wedding. I can't use my current Verizon phone there. Called Verizon and they said they can rent me a global phone but pretty pricey.
I used to have Cingular [was SBC then the merger] from a few years ago.

Still have my Nokia 3390 which is GSM 1900 network. [That's as far as I know about it.]

I read online that they sell the Nokia 3390 over there and also sell pre-paid SimCards to use in that phone.
Do you guys know if I can use my old 3390 over there with a pre-paid Simcard?

I am asking here because of
1: there is a vast collective of knowledge here that expands beyond flashaholism.
And
2: I know there are a few 'Pinoys' here that are very familiar with my question.

So, any help would be appreciated. Will have family from all over attending. Would be nice to be able to have a cell phone to keep in touch. [Manila, Bataan, Alabang, etc.]

b.t.w. It'll be my second time over there. The first time was a month in 97.
ako ay ang nyog. Don't speak much tagalog.
:whoopin: :twak:

legtu

Enlightened
Sorry, it won't work. Networks here use GSM 900/1800. Some shops can do frequency 'conversions' but that'll render your phone useless when you get back. 2nd hand units are fairly cheap or maybe you can just borrow one.

Cellphones/SIMs are quite rampant and cheap around here. ;)

Last edited:

danielo_d

Enlightened
legtu said:
Sorry, it won't work. Networks here use GSM 900/1800. Some shops can do frequency 'conversions' but that'll render your phone useless when you get back. 2nd hand units are fairly cheap or maybe you can just borrow one.

Cellphones/SIMs are quite rampant and cheap around here. ;)
How much is the freq conversion? It's an old phone I don't use anymore. Or I can get a 2nd hand unit. How much are they? TY for you quick response!

sige, legtu!

Danno

legtu

Enlightened
danielo_d said:
How much is the freq conversion? It's an old phone I don't use anymore. Or I can get a 2nd hand unit. How much are they? TY for you quick response!

Frequency conversion used to cost around 1k(php). I'm not sure what's the going rate nowadays.

As for 2nd hand units, they usually start around php800 and up. Some shops might accept your 3390 for a trade-in...

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost everyone here has a cell phone. Some even have multiple units so if you have many relatives over here. You could probably just borrow one from them. Pre-paid sim cards are available almost everywhere. You can pick them up for less than $5 even as lttle as $2.

Santelmo

Enlightened
danielo_d said:
ako ay ang nyog. :whoopin: :twak:

Er, a bit off topic, did you just say "I am a coconut?" Well, if you say so, hehehe.

Anyways, enjoy your stay!