Brightest LED flashlight available?

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

I am considering the Surefire U2 Ultra as a top-of-the-line light. I really like lights with some degree of adjustable brightness. It is rated for 80 lumens. Are there any other brands/models that can go to the 100-120 lumen level?

Thanks.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider a modded mag, with an nflux and say 3x lux III's. 8 levels, and 200+ lumens :D

Did I mention they are less then the U2 ;) The only con is they are a bit bigger.

Xe54

Enlightened
thesurefire said:
You might consider a modded mag, with an nflux and say 3x lux III's. 8 levels, and 200+ lumens :D

Did I mention they are less then the U2 ;) The only con is they are a bit bigger.

I suppose if I want that many lumens, I can just fire up my UK LightCannon 100.

I'd prefer off-the-shelf, as well as small and compact.

balazer

Enlightened
Xe54 said:
Yes, I am interested in actual total lumen output first and foremost, as I often use a flashlight as a room illuminator by hitting the ceiling. Beam throw is something I'll think about after finding the lights with what would be more appropriately termed "highest lumen output."
Then look at the "overall output" chart under the link that I posted.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can be difficult to figure this out since some manufacturers don't give honest lumen ratings. It helps to decide what size light you are looking for too. If that really doesn't matter and throw is not important then look a 5W lights. (3W LEDs do very well too). The hard part is buying something and getting a lower output than what you expected because of the "Luxeon Lottery". You can actually buy 3 identical lights and get 3 different levels of output. A U2 is a very good and bright 5W Luxeon light, you can also look a the Surefire L2, about the same brightness but slimmer. Look around because there are many options, most likely you will find that a custom made light will be brightest.

freedom

Newly Enlightened
I saw somewhere in this forum an member putted four U-3W into his maglite flashlight. I remember the lumen output is rated at about 80 * 4 = 320Lm!!

Xe54

Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
The Tri-Star Phazer is the brightest LED flashlight in current production that I'm aware of.
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/third/tsp.htm

That is a cool light. The LitePro site doesn't suggest they still make it, despite it being available at Eppe's Corner. But it's big and can't possibly compete with UK LC 100 in lumens even though the power is nearly the same. Thus it must also have significant'y less burn-time due to half as many C cells. Maybe I should stick with 2 or 3xCR123 single Luxeon III or V flashlights for LEDs, and resort to HID when >100 lumens is needed.

I just wonder why since Lumileds indicates Luxeon V can put out 120 lumens, why something like the SF U2 doesn't fully exploit this? I suppose it is because running the LED at that output would result in a mediocre lifetime, and thermal management may be nearly impossible in such a small package.

Oh well. I suppose I'd be pretty happy with 80 lumens compared to the 45 or so from my Ombu X-33.

Thanks for input.

Xe54

Enlightened
balazer said:
Then look at the "overall output" chart under the link that I posted.

Ooh thanks! That little bar of links totally slipped past my view at first.

Hmm, SF L2 makes 100 lumens, with 2 light levels. Usually, I am happy with two levels. Perhaps U2 isn't worth it. I also don't mind a somewhat broad beam.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xe54 said: "....I am considering the Surefire U2 Ultra as a top-of-the-line light...rated for 80 lumens. Are there any other brands/models that can go to the 100-120 lumen level?..."

I have a U2 and I highly recommend it. Rough ceiling reflection lux measurements indicate it outputs over 100 lumens. The utility of variable output cannot be overstated. It is a beautifully designed light.

That said many U2s have a doughnut beam issue. Surefire has superb support and will do whatever it takes to satisfy you, but be aware of this.

By far the highest output LED light I'm aware of is the Elektrolumens Tesla-6. 432 lumens. I have one and it's just amazing, like a movie klieg light: http://elektrolumens.com/Tesla-6/Tesla-6.html

In general I think the U2 is one of the most overall useful lights. It's beautifully designed, has plenty of output, and the utility of variable output is tremendous.

Xygen

Enlightened
I own a Nuwai ALX-352L (http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_alx-352_alx-032.htm).
It's a lot cheaper than the U2 (~67$), has 3 levels (+ blink-mode) and a lot of power.
U2: 55.00
ALX-352L: 65.00
But mine has a greenish tint.
If you take a look at the "FR-Chart" sorted by output and search for single LED lights, you'll find this:
1. Diamond Mag Fraen (100) (only a replacement module for Maglites)
2. SF L2 (89)
3. Nuwai ALX-352L (65)
And now take a look at the prices! But I don't know if money is a factor for you.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Xe54 said:
I just wonder why since Lumileds indicates Luxeon V can put out 120 lumens, why something like the SF U2 doesn't fully exploit this? I suppose it is because running the LED at that output would result in a mediocre lifetime, and thermal management may be nearly impossible in such a small package.

SureFire is well known for using conservative measurements when quoting stats on their products. It seems they take actual measurements of the finished products, use the worst measurements, then revise downward based on some fudge factor assuming performance degradation down the line. Most folks seem to experience far greater performance than SF quotes.