Photon LED breakage. Should I buy covert model instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm interested in purchasing a Photon 1 or 3. But I'm concerned about the unprotected LED breaking or being scratched while it is in my pocket with keys or change. Has anybody had this problem? Should I get the covert model instead? I'd like to use the Photon as a general purpose keychain light. How much usefullness is lost due to the LED housing on the covert model? Can the housing be removed from the covert model? Thanks!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I got PH2red and PH3white/covert. Both of them are UNDESTRUCTABLE. I put them through hell, and they come out just fine.

You can not remove covert housing; it does block all the "side" light.

I like my Ph3 better-cool micro cpu.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply. Have you noticed any damage or scratches on the LED of the normal P2? I'm worried that keys will break or damage the LED while it is in my pocket.

I'm leaning towards the P3 since it has the cool cpu.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have an original photon that has been on my keyring 5 or so years i think.
maybe longer.
this is before the screw design.
all surface features are worn smooth and led is "sandblasted"
still works just fine and the wear to the led diffuses the beam a bit.
btw when did the first photon hit the market?
i recall i got this one at the dayton hamvention in 96 or 97

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Hey, John.
I have another option for you. IMHO, a better one at that. If your worried about damaging the lens (which would be quite hard to do anyway), or scratching the lens, you can get what's called a "crystal photon 3".
Now, don't confuse this with the "ravin' party light" photon. The "crystal" model is the same as a covert, but with a CLEAR protective sleeve (as opposed to the black one in the "covert").
So, you have a sleeve to protect the lens, but not one that will block the peripherial light. The best of both worlds!
There is one difficulty, though. Most of the vendors that sell the photon at a discount don't carry this model. I've tried all on Brock's list, but to no avail. Some vendors say they don't carry it, others confuse it with the "ravin' party light", but don't get confused.
I ended up buying it straight from the Photon website (which is where I found out about it's existence to begin with). A bit high priced, but hey, no one else had it! Although after using it about 6 months, I think you'll be fine just buying a regular Photon 3.
Hope the info helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.