River Rock AAA reflector removal?

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Has anyone successfully removed the reflector/head of the River Rock AAA?

I have the clip off, the batteries out, and i've tried to grip the thing as tight as possible to try and twist the head off to no avail.

Any tricks?

iNDiGLo

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Get a cup of boiling water and stick the light in there for a minute or so. There's a little bit of glue on the threads. Haven't been able to get the reflector out though

Illuminated

Enlightened
DON'T BOIL IT !!!

The reflector will deform due to the heat.

If you simply wish to remove the head to get at the LED/circuit board, try tightly wrapping several layers (5-7) of a road bike inner tube around the body for gripping with your hand and use a rubber strap wrench on the head.

Once the thread compound cracks loose - you can unscrew it by hand.

I have successfully replaced the LED in two of the RR 2AAA lights so far using the above method of disassembly.

John

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
I didn't actually boil it, I took the boiling water from a spigot, put it in a cup, put the RR in a cup, left it for a minute, and just unscrewed it. since there's no more heat being added to the water, it doesn't stay hot enough to deform the lens or reflector. It just unscrews really smoothly. I wasn't able to use the plier method, so I had to put it in boiling water. Good luck!