3Watt sale at Amondotech

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was buying some batteries off Amondotech and saw a 3 Watt 3xAAA powered light they have on sale. Normally $40+, now $26.50.
Anyone have any reviews or experience with this light? Ad says best(?) used with rechargeable batts.
Appreciate any insights, thanks.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you talking of the one that says, 'No returns, not exchanges, no warranty' or something like that?

That phrase would give me pause.

lamperich

Enlightened
webley445 said:
3 Watt 3xAAA powered light they have on sale.
Anyone have any reviews or experience with this light? Ad says best(?) used with rechargeable batts.
Appreciate any insights, thanks.

most 3AAA are suboptimal.

if you don´t need it as tool it´s okay using Lrxx

With NiMH the risk is high that you overdrive such led´s especially the lumileds...
look http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91394
Best is he is a student of engineering...
yellowlaugh.gif

so you are not alone.

and here you find the reasons why this happens
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99158

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got excited when I saw the deal, until I saw the shipping to be $8- $9 !:wtf:

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
You can get flat-rate shipping of $5.95. Go through the checkout process and you'll see it. It is not the default shipping option.

Anyway, has anyone seen these lights in person? I'm on the fence on this one. For $8 more they have a Nuwai 3w 3C light that looks pretty sweet. But I like the fact that this one is so compact--assuming the output is good.

lamperich

Enlightened
@mrdctaylor
maybe it´s not the same torch but the risk is high that the led is driven the same way ... that´s the point!
use alkaline than it´s okay.

if you use NiMH than check currentflow with a DMM. also if it becomes very hot that´s a bad sign, too

Last edited:

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
The problem pointed out in the thread about the LED Lenser V2 3xAAA was that it was pushing 1000mA through a LuxI. That is not good for the poor LuxI's health (recommended forward current is 350mA).

A LuxIII is designed to run at 700mA, but according to Lumileds' data sheet, it should be able to handle 1000mA (although that's the maximum recommended forward current). The initial measured current of 1800mA mentioned in the V2 thread is definitely not good, although the poster implied that he was using NiMH batteries hot off the charger (1.4V).

http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS45.PDF

How well the light manages heat is another issue, which is unknown.

I'm not saying it's a good idea to overdrive a LuxIII like that. I'm just commenting that it should be able to handle that level of current better than the LuxI light mentioned in the linked thread. Some users might not mind potentially reducing the lifespan of the emitter, as long as they get 80 lumens by overdriving it. For $26.50, why not?