Fenix L1 switch service

Streak

Enlightened
The switch on my L1P suffers from a strange problem.
Switches on OK but it will only switch off after 7 attempts.
Lighthound has indicated that this is a very rare problem and has kindly offered to send me another switch.
However I would like to get to the bottom of the fault.

Once on, pressing the switch causes thelight to go off momentarily but then it come back on as soon as you release the switch. Do this exactly 7 times and the light then turns off.

Why always 7 times?

Has anyone opened up the L1P switch and seen what goes on in there?

I am visiting the USA and dont have access to my workshop at home with the tools needed to open the switch.

Cheers

Streak

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Gave it a couple of tries, I've been able to 'momentary off' my fenix beyond 7 times without any problems... I'd say your switch is faulty but you already knew that... :ohgeez:

pbarrette

Enlightened
Hi Streak,

The switch is pretty simple.. I've had it apart a few times, but forgot to take any pictures.

Anyway, the switch cover isn't glued on in mine, so it just pops right off with a bit of prying. In the center, under the yellow button, you will find a piece of metal with tabs all around and a dome. Under the dome is the spring. On each side of the switch base are the contacts.

As the button is pressed, there are 2 states: Down and up. In the "down" state, the light is off. This is because the tabbed metal disk is pushed below the level of the base contacts. In the "up" state, the tabbed disk bridges the two contacts and the light is "on".

There is some play in the switch whereby, when the light is in the "up" state, and on, you can push it down without engaging the "off" position. That's what gives us the reverse clicky action.

The mechanism that moves the whole thing operates on a gear tooth system where every other tooth is at a different height. Half lower, half higher. If you've seen the mechanism from a cheap retractable pen, you know what I mean.

So, because of the ratcheting gear mechanism, the disk with the tabs rotates inside the switch. In your switch, either all the tabs but one got bent slightly upwards, or one of the contacts is bent slightly downwards. As the tabbed disk rotates, it finally rotates to the tab that is not making contact.

So, the fix is, pop the switch apart and either: A) Bend the tabs down a bit, or B) Bend the base contacts up a bit, or finally, C) Do both.

That will likely fix your switch problems.

Hope this helps,
pb

paulr

Flashaholic
Sounds to me like the ratchet gear has 7 teeth/flats and one of them is obstructed in some way.