Slim Led light

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always carry a AAA Maglight in the breast of my leather jacket or suit jacket in the pen holder area by its pocket clip. I don't want to change this habit and put a light in the breast pocket itself, I tend to carry other things there plus it is not as handy, I also dont want to stick it into the hand pockets.

So, what LED light, if any will fit in the same sized holder. I assume it would have to be AAA to get the slim package. What is the brightest/best for this spot?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The River Rock 0.5W 2AAA is $10 at Target, smaller than the AAA Minimag, has significantly more output and WAY more run time. Carries great using its pocket clip.

Beam tint is often blueish, but that didn't bother me at all, esp for the price. It also has a nice quality feel, unusual for a light that inexpensive.

It's essentially identical to the Nuwai TM-311H reviewed here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm-311h_2aaa.htm

For about $39, even the tiny Arc AAA-P and Peak Matterhorn have more output than the AAA Minimag. I often carry my Arc AAA-P in my shirt pocket using the provided clip.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/arc_aaa-p.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/peakled_matterhorn_3.htm

Also Peak will soon have a Luxeon LED 1x AAA light that should be very interesting.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not clear if you are carrying a 2xAAA MiniMag or a 1xAAA Solitaire. If it is a 2 cell, might want to look at the Nuwai 311H. Very bright and fairly elegant looking. Around $20.

If it is a 1xAAA you could get an ARC P, if you can find one. It would blow away the Solitaire in output, and with a lithium battery is very light.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another Peak light you might want to take a look at is the Fujiyama- it is much slimmer than the Minimag and even the River Rock. Its closer to "pen" lenth so it might fit your pocket better than a 1AAA light. Only stainless steel is available now, so note that that version will be heavier- alluminum is forthcoming:

http://www.peakledsolutions.net/2aaa.html

I'd recommend going with the 3 LED version:
http://www.peakledsolutions.net/2aaa_3LEDSS.html

Of course, its 5 times as much $$ as the River Rock, so you might want to give that a try first and see if it fits your needs.

ledled

Newly Enlightened
Tryout a Dorcy 1AAA, only about $6. The more expensive lights are small enough to go to you keychain.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm maybe I have to make a trip to Target to check out the Rock River if their AAA is close in size to the AAA Minimag. Will also look at the other lights mentioned, thanks guys :).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using the AAA minimag in spot or flood mode?
I have a Terralux TLE-10 in my AAA minimag with a homemade diffuser. Nice short range flood. The beam pattern is not good without the diffuser.
Of course, if you have acess to a Target store, you can get 2 River Rocks for the same money. If you do not have acess to a Target store get a Nuwai equivalent.

The Dorcy AAA do not come with a pocket clip. I do not think the Peaks have one either

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Stylus just looks like a pen in your pocket. It's not real bright, but it's quite adequate for many up close uses. I think it's waterproof. Some people have modded them successfully with brighter LEDs.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help guys :), I bought the River Rock AAA and really like it, my wife liked it so much when I went in yesterday she had taken it off my dresser and left her Minimag AAA so I went out and got a new one today. It works great for a pocket light. I also have a Streamlight Stylus on order , that might be even better and slimmer for dress jacket use. Thaks for the advice :).

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to try an inova T2. Awesome awesome light. It fits in the palm of my hand, fits into my jacket pocket and throws like a minicannon. It's deceptively small. Looks very small but much much brighter than expected.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I have the X1 which I believe is the same as the T2 without the click tailswitch isnt it? Well my wife has the X1, anyways, it is too thick for what I wanted, which is to fit in the pen pocket of my breast pocket, the River rock works, but it is tight, the X1 is considerably thicker.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee1959 said:
Thanks, I have the X1 which I believe is the same as the T2 without the click tailswitch isnt it? Well my wife has the X1, anyways, it is too thick for what I wanted, which is to fit in the pen pocket of my breast pocket, the River rock works, but it is tight, the X1 is considerably thicker.

Do you have the X1 or the XO? If you mean the XO, then you are correct- the only difference between it and the T2 is the body style (milled flats vs. "eggo waffle") and the clicky switch. The X1 is a much smaller (and dimmer) single AA light that uses a 5mm LED behind a lense.

Glad you like the River Rock 2AAA. It certainly is a bargain!

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh you are quite correct, I have the X1 and the X0 both, actually both are too big for the purpose I wanted though. The X1 is considerably smaller yes, the post recomending the T2 threw me off when he said it could fit in his hand, made me think of the much smaller X1.