A Collection Of Runtime Graphs

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
Re: Want to post some runtime graphs

That's all the Surefires for now. Lets move onto the Maglites.

Here is the graph of a 3D Maglite with the Mag LED drop-in. I'm using Energizer Alkalines.

Mag3DMagLED.jpg

This bugger ran for 35hrs to 50% with a total of 51.5hrs of usable light.:eek:

Currently, this light is my heavy hitter. I know it doesn't compare to some of the 'brighter' lights out there but it will throw a lot of light and it comes in a heavy package. I have several of these around the house and keep one in the truck. With the Niteize drop-in (not yet tested) in the tailcap it makes a great emergency light where batteries might be in short supply.

C.P.T.

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened

Here is the first of several Mini-Mag graphs. This is the standard Mini-Mag with the stock Incan and the Black band on the bulb. I used Energizer Alkalines.

Mini-Mag-Incan.jpg

Pretty pathetic when you think about it.:sick2:

C.P.T.

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened

Here is the Mini-Mag LED with Energizer Alkalines.

Mini-Mag-MagLED.jpg

Just under 3hrs to 50% which is also when it dies.:thumbsdow Very disappointing. I'll be giving this light to a family member.

C.P.T.

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened

Here is the last Mini-Mag graph for now. This is a Mini-Mag with the Niteize 3LED drop-in running on Energizer Alkalines.

Mini-Mag-Niteize3LED.jpg

I got a little over 7hrs to 50% with the total being appx. 8.5hrs. Good, but not what I thought it would deliver. FlashlightReviews.com charted this at 11hrs to 50% with Duracell batteries. I may need to re-run this test with different brand batteries to find the differences.

Has anybody else tested this drop-in?

C.P.T.

Illum

Flashaholic

Not only do these runtime graphs of yours answer alot of age old questions many of us have asked regarding runtimes, but runtime tests are generally quite rare and when available are often praised upon with high honors.

cheers to you and your work BigWaffles:twothumbs

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened

That's it for now, hopefully you'll find this information useful. As stated, the .xls or .txt files are available for PM or I can post them somewhere for download if someone has suggestions on how to do this.

I have a few more tests planned for the near future. I want to graph the following:

Inova X5 white
Mag 3D Stock Incan
Mag 3D with Niteize drop-in
Mini-Mag with SMJLED drop-in

I'll post these graphs as I get them.

Thanks for the support.

C.P.T.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Thank you very much !!! :bow:
Really appreciate the work here !!

The strange looking graphs from the incans should be the warm-up time of the batteries as those work better when warm/hot, and this give more output in the unregulated incan environment.

bernie

crocodilo

Enlightened

Fantastic work, many thanks for what you have put into these. They are very usefull, as I am a believer that runtime, and not brightness, is what makes the true difference between having or not having light.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the excellent runtime graphs BigWaffles! Your work is very much appreciated! :twothumbs

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome graphs! The 3D MagLED is pretty impressive, especially for someone who just wants a nice flashlight.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

> Mini-Mag with SMJLED drop-in

All sounds very interesting, the above would be appreciated.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Thank you for the runtime graphs - they are very helpful in demonstrating the constant-on runtime characteristics of flashlights - giving us a better understanding of what we can expect :thumbsup:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

This raises one question, if many instant-ons for a few secs have a different runtime characteristics from constant-on for a few hours.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

bigwaffles,

thanks for the effort and result..

Now you need a website to host them...

nzbazza

Enlightened

Bigwaffles,

A big thank you for the excellent work. Runtime graphs are gold around here! :twothumbs

Kiessling

Flashaholic

This raises one question, if many instant-ons for a few secs have a different runtime characteristics from constant-on for a few hours.

Yes. You get less total runtime with intermittent activation. However, I have no idea how this would be if the light in question is driven very low an ddoes not heat up at all.

bernie

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened

Yes. You get less total runtime with intermittent activation. However, I have no idea how this would be if the light in question is driven very low an ddoes not heat up at all.

bernie

The only way I know of to test this is to make a timer controlled relay that would control the switch. You could set it for 5-10min on to run the LED while it is hot and not thermal-regulated and then 15-20min off to let it cool down. Keep this up until the batteries die.

Maybe I'll look into that when I'm finished with these last few graphs.

C.P.T.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

If you really want to invest all that time, then you should monitor the battery's temperature as it is those that benefit from warmth while the LED suffers. It see,s though that the benefit of the hot batteries outweighs the drawbacks with the LEDs.

22hornet

Enlightened

Hello,
thanks a lot for the graphs :twothumbs.
Concerning the Inova Bolt 2AAA, does it drop as does the 2AA?
This because your graph ends abruptly :).

Kind regards,
Joris

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened

Ok. Here's a few more graphs. This is the Inova X5 with Surefire primaries.

Inova-X5.jpg

Almost 5hrs to 50% and quite a bit of runtime after that. Depending on how low you want to go, it will just keep running. I can see why a lot of people use these lights to finish off batteries that are too low for other lights.

C.P.T.