A flashlight to teach morons?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Jerk wakes me up everyday with his loud exhaust . It is so loud I here it over my stereo and with the best earplugs I can buy. I swear it is as if he went out of his way to make it loud. So this am I lit his car up.he gets out of car looks up looks left then right opens his hood spent 15 minutes trying to find source of light .I almost got busted when I laughed.btw the car looks like some eco Chevy..I have no clue how the car is legal.its 5 am wakes me up at 5 am!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Used to be loud was not unusual. Like a set of Thrush glass pack "mufflers" got the grown ups all upset. But these knuckleheads these days seem to get a kick out of megaphone'd exhaust pipes as if the "boom biddly boom" thing aint annoying enough.

I had a guy pull up beside me in a parking lot one evening with his "bwaaaaaaaah" exhaust and hillbilly rap music blaring from his little car. I rolled my window down and waved at the guy. He said "what?" I said "I really don't want to hear that". He said "so?"

I backed up my car to be in front of his and turned my lights on bright. After about 2 minutes he left. Did he learn anything? I seriously doubt it. We were at a veteranarian waiting to have our really sick dog put down so the last thing I wanted was some twirp being a twirp. The wife asked me to be cool so I blinded the guy instead of turning him into swamp turtle food.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to avoid teaching morons by blinding them with light. It's these types of instances where something gets out of hand, lawyers and politicians get involved, and they end up regulating (limiting) brightness on flashlights for the general public. Be careful not to screw it up for the rest of us.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Germany there´s something called the "quiet hours" which usually go from 10PM to 6 or 7AM. You can actually call the cops on people making too much noise, although its of cause up to the officers personal discretion to determine if any action is justified, which usually just consists on knocking on a door & some lecturing.

In the US? Dunno. You could pull a Walter White on his car, just dont let him catch you lol. You didn't hear that from me.

LEDphile

Enlightened
In Germany there´s something called the "quiet hours" which usually go from 10PM to 6 or 7AM. You can actually call the cops on people making too much noise, although its of cause up to the officers personal discretion to determine if any action is justified, which usually just consists on knocking on a door & some lecturing.

In the US? Dunno. You could pull a Walter White on his car, just dont let him catch you lol. You didn't hear that from me.
These are pretty common in the US as well, typically from 11PM to 7AM

Poppy

Flashaholic
Jerk wakes me up everyday with his loud exhaust . It is so loud I here it over my stereo and with the best earplugs I can buy. I swear it is as if he went out of his way to make it loud. So this am I lit his car up.he gets out of car looks up looks left then right opens his hood spent 15 minutes trying to find source of light .I almost got busted when I laughed.btw the car looks like some eco Chevy..I have no clue how the car is legal.its 5 am wakes me up at 5 am!
raggie,
I believe that most of this post is nonsense.
But as olumin and LEDphile have said, there are laws against excessive noise, at inappropriate times.

I suggest that you complain about it to the people who can make a difference. Ahem, like local law enforcement.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
haha. OP's location makes a big difference. in some parts of the country (major liberal areas), the police are so ϲucked that they won't even show up for something like that. they're told not to. plus no resources.

but in most normal areas, that's for sure the right thing to do. if talking to the neighbor about it is out, then have the cops deal with it.

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
Lol what kind of spec'd light did you blast him with, and was it just for a split second, and from what angle? Sounds like a very momentary blast from a floody thrower, from behind. It obviously wasn't in his eyes if he suspected something under the hood of his car.

You wanna talk about "Morons!!" It's 2022, flashlights are insanely powerful, and I still work with people who actually think that they are funny if they blast you right in the eyes with their flashlight. For the life of me I can't grasp how a person could be that clueless, yeah let me blast someone directly in their face with a 1000 lumen flashlight and then laugh WTF???

If anyone reading has done this I don't mean to call you a moron but I'm still furious about it because just this week I got blasted followed by laughter, and I could see bright light with closed eyelids for like 10 minutes. Blasting someone right in the eyes isn't even close to funny, you could permanently damage their eyesight!!

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
haha. OP's location makes a big difference. in some parts of the country (major liberal areas), the police are so ϲucked that they won't even show up for something like that. they're told not to. plus no resources.

but in most normal areas, that's for sure the right thing to do. if talking to the neighbor about it is out, then have the cops deal with it.
I suspect speaking to the neighbor would have no effect. I suspect that he is NOT about to change his exhaust.

Perhaps filing a complaint with the the local Police will have little effect, but maybe not.

For about 15 years I lived one city block away from a local firehouse. When they would get a call in the middle of the night, they would invariably blast their horn/cirine as they passed my house. It would wake me up, but I would think... "The boys are going to work", and I'd roll over and go back to sleep.

Some times you just have to suck it up and adapt.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I have always been very sensitive to noise. Btw how do they get it so loud..? It just looks like a family sedan . But sounds way louder then a leaf blower

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too buddy. I cant sleep unless there's absolute silence. Ive been sleeping with earplugs for years now. But sometimes even that is not enough as you said. Luckily my area is relatively quiet. What used to bug me the most back then was bird-chirping in the morning. I used to live in a very old apartment with terrible heat & sound insulation. Right outside my window was a church with a small park. Plenty of branches for flocks of birds to sit in.
Griem013.jpg

This picture was still taken on a film camera. It was a nice enough view but man the bells used to drive me nuts on Sundays.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I got 4boxes of ear plugs I think like 400 of them. Mom was the same way

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
This is actually one of the neglected things that people forget to consider when buying a house. Not only noise transfer from inside & outside, but also sound insulation factors throughout the house!! I swear I won't ever buy another house again without having a 2nd person stomp and shout in various rooms throughout the house while I am in other rooms!! Buy a house for $800K…and afterwards find out that you can hear full kitchen conversations from your bedroom, or hear what your neighbors are saying with closed windows.

Other than that finding a very loud fan is a great move. I know that people differ, and some say that a loud fan really annoys them, but not me, you can put a 20 horsepower belt driven fan in my bedroom and I would find it to be soothing. At the very least it's gotta be better than chirping birds or barking dogs. My other advice would be to get your earplugs specially molded to your ear canals (not so much to outdo generic plug performance, but to outdo the comfort level of generic plugs).

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean to be fair the building was from the late 19th century & under cultural heritage protection. Only so many modernizations can be done in places like that.
The only "loud" noise I find acceptable when sleeping is rain & wind, or storms. I sometimes sleep with a fan running during warm summer nights, but the earplugs mute most of it. I use happy ears. Ive found them to work well & they remain quite comfortable overnight.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it gets too cold to run a portable fan in the bedroom, I tune my radio to static noise and leave that cranked up during the night. Could've just bought a white noise machine I guess, but I had the old boom box left over anyway so why not? I do the earplug thing in addition when it's a night that seems like the neighbors are going to be ****s, or if I really need uninterrupted sleep that night.

But yeah the loud vehicle thing bugs me to no end. My apartment building is facing a long street that is the main access road for the neighborhood behind, so there's constant traffic. And there are so frickin many loud as hell trucks and little rice rockets without mufflers that buzz up and down that street all day, and a few go back and forth in the middle of the night too.

My brother was smart, he bought a house at the end of a cul-de-sack so there's no through traffic!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I got 4boxes of ear plugs I think like 400 of them. Mom was the same way
Do you install them correctly? ie reach around your head and tug on the ear from the rear then slide it in the ear canal? That makes a big difference.

I get the yellow foam square tip type, roll it, reach around the back of my head, tug on the ear, insert the plug, wait 30 seconds or so and do the other ear. Does a much better seal doing it that way.

9BC48314-7A49-455C-A411-E620F849B8C2.jpeg

Northern Tool is my source.

Those tapered tip kind are like sticking a wod of paper in my ears to my ears. Very inefective.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Airliners are the biggest noise problem by me. People have tried for years to get airlines to get rid of old, noisy, planes but a lot of them are still using 727s or 737s made in the 1960s. 9/11 and the start of the pandemic were the only times we got a break. The problem is easily fixed by having the glide paths only over water, but so far no luck getting the FAA to require that. It's possible here since both airports are near the water.

Second biggest noise issue are those infernal leaf blowers. They stink up the entire block besides whenever they're in use. There is a big grassroots movement to ban the things. The sooner the better.

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
...... .............. .............. ...............
Northern Tool is my source.

Those tapered tip kind are like sticking a wod of paper in my ears to my ears. Very inefective.

Huh, I've been using basic yellow 3M plugs also, but with the taper tip, and they work well so long as I get them in securely. Though, I seem to have a funny shaped ear canal on the right side that makes it harder to get a plug in, so the taper plugs work better in that situation.

Basic disposable plugs are cheap, so might as well try a few varieties to see what works best.

I haven't yet tried sleeping with plugs made for shooting, so I don't know if that'd make any difference. The basic 3M industrial plugs seem to do well enough in most cases for me. It doesn't eliminate all sound, it just helps reduce it to a level that doesn't snap me awake with my heart racing.