A flashlight to teach morons?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ugh. Unfortunately I can confirm this statement. I have a co-worker who is exactly like this. He thinks it's funny to **** off other coworkers and rile people up. It is like a game or a hobby to him.

I always think to myself "how many more workplace massacres have to happen in this country before people like him wake up and realize this is a bad idea?!"

Of course, if those people had enough intelligence and awareness to actually make that connection, they wouldn't behave that way in the first place!
Ah yes, the "geniuses" who believe that as long as they themselves don't get physical; the person they're riling up, insulting, and humiliating, won't get physical either.... and they maintain that belief even after they get punched, stabbed, or shot! The look of pure shock & Surprise on their faces is priceless!

These are the ones who never figured out that Social conventions are literally nothing but hot air. Horribly insult someone. What's preventing them from physically lashing out at you? Literally nothing but the air between the two of you. The police? Oh, they're at least a couple of minutes away. Lots of life-altering damage could be physically inflicted before they arrive. Getting arrested, going to jail? Some folks don't care! That's where their buddies are. Would be nice seeing them again for a couple of years. That's where they can get free medical/dental care. (Genuinely free. At tax-payers expense.)

Nothing but hot air.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Complete waste of time. Obnoxious, genuine low-life individuals know when they're being obnoxious. And, they don't care. It's fun for them. This clearly isn't some reasonable individual who doesn't realize what he's doing every morning. Used to have a co-worker who constantly complained that politicians didn't give a crap about Joe & Jane Blow. The average hard-working public who got up early everyday to be packed like sardines onto buses and subway trains. Just trying to get by. Trying to eke out a living. Coming home exhausted. Again, packed tight like sardines. Trapped in tiny studio apartments. Hopefully not in neighborhoods that police refused to go to.

Before he got fired. He started bragging to everyone how much "FUN" it was to ride his Harley incredibly early through run-down neighborhoods. (The ones populated by Joe & Jane Blow.) Right around 2am. He'd rev. the engine, and open her up! Setting off every single car alarm in the neighborhood, waking everyone up; and thus contributing to their misery. Wasn't a one-time thing either. Did it on a regular basis. No one at work decided to waste their breath by talking to him about his most fun hobby. Well, fun for him. Everyone knew it would be a total waste of time trying to do so. And, this was a co-worker. Not some random stranger off the street.
And if it's a complete moron the police can be called upon. Document the times it's happened properly with video and audio evidence, hand it over to your local police along with the complaint.

If Raggie causes permanent damage it won't be a case of "oh ok we fully understand that he was bothering you so that's fine", it'll be a case of him getting his *** handed to him and hefty fines. It doesn't need to be petty acts of revenge first, there's a better line of escalation which might cause less issues, and if it can be solved that way at all it's worth it no matter how mentally impaired the motorcycle dude seems to be.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would seriously doubt that the police would do anything about stuff like this. I know a guy who came home to find his house robbed and guns stolen. He called the cops and they didn't show up until like 4 hours later. Obviously it wasn't a big priority for them.

Cops don't show up to a car wreck if there are no injuries and no roadway blockage (i.e. disabled car in the road). They'll just tell you to work it out between your insurance and the other driver's insurance.

There is a big police precinct only half a mile from my apartment building, and in the 15 years I've been here there was never any effort by the cops to crack down on the loud, speeding vehicles that fly down this road everyday. I've never even seen them run radar on this street for Pete's sake!

A lot of people have a waaay too idealistic version of what the cops will do. The real-life scenarios I've seen have been rather underwhelming. And I imagine it's only worse now, seeing as how cops are demonized by media and politicians. Why on earth would any cop bother going above and beyond and sticking his neck out at this point??

So yeah, sorry to say, but in cases like this the best option is to just suck it up and try to adapt to it however you can rather than go the route of confrontation (legal or otherwise).

The law and society aren't on your side, unfortunately. There's no law against being an annoying, insufferable D-bag, but if you haul off and punch that D-bag in the face, you'll be the one who goes to jail and gets sued. Sorry bro; it's an effed up world sometimes. Try to think about something else.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
And if it's a complete moron the police can be called upon. Document the times it's happened properly with video and audio evidence, hand it over to your local police along with the complaint.

If Raggie causes permanent damage it won't be a case of "oh ok we fully understand that he was bothering you so that's fine", it'll be a case of him getting his *** handed to him and hefty fines. It doesn't need to be petty acts of revenge first, there's a better line of escalation which might cause less issues, and if it can be solved that way at all it's worth it no matter how mentally impaired the motorcycle dude seems to be.
Do you live in an upscale, gated community where the police take such complaints seriously? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm genuinely curious. Police don't take such nuisance complaints seriously at all, except in such communities. Raggie is not going to get any positive results using either of the two ideas you mentioned in your last two posts.

Okay, and where is this coming from? No one has suggested that Raggie go out and do horrendous physical harm to the guy. Harm that would land him in jail and ruin the rest of his Life. (Okay, a couple of tongue-in-cheek comments about giving the guy an attitude adjustment. But obviously those weren't handed out as serious suggestions.) I'm sorry but you seem to have a very rose-colored glasses outlook on people and the police. Yes, it's best to give the former the benefit of the doubt and talk to someone in a rational manner. But not when they've demonstrated the type of behavior that guy has. Again, waste of time. As for the latter, in a lot of jurisdictions, unless a violent crime is in progress or there's a call concerning an individual walking around and brandishing a gun; the police aren't going do anything. Nuisance complaints get accepted, and then filed away. Never to see the light of day again.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Wow this is a long thread on such a topic😊 IMO unless you can handle the backlash and possible encounter that is surely to come this isn't the best idea.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a person files for restraining order for harassment (loud noises) after that, when the perp violates that order, the cops have to engage.
After multiple violations, if the jerk doesn't stop, he will be arrested, booked, fined, etc., Misdemeanor offense.
Most people stop before losing money.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I'm kind of letting him be his own downfall . These type don't understand if they keep it up laws will be passed . Like for instance as I said before I turn my moterized bike off before I come on the street. And peddled in and out

LRJ88

Enlightened
Do you live in an upscale, gated community where the police take such complaints seriously? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm genuinely curious. Police don't take such nuisance complaints seriously at all, except in such communities. Raggie is not going to get any positive results using either of the two ideas you mentioned in your last two posts.

Okay, and where is this coming from? No one has suggested that Raggie go out and do horrendous physical harm to the guy. Harm that would land him in jail and ruin the rest of his Life. (Okay, a couple of tongue-in-cheek comments about giving the guy an attitude adjustment. But obviously those weren't handed out as serious suggestions.) I'm sorry but you seem to have a very rose-colored glasses outlook on people and the police. Yes, it's best to give the former the benefit of the doubt and talk to someone in a rational manner. But not when they've demonstrated the type of behavior that guy has. Again, waste of time. As for the latter, in a lot of jurisdictions, unless a violent crime is in progress or there's a call concerning an individual walking around and brandishing a gun; the police aren't going do anything. Nuisance complaints get accepted, and then filed away. Never to see the light of day again.

I don't live in a gated community, but i damn well understand escalation and documentation. If you try to get some kind of petty revenge then you'd best be covering your approach to it by making sure that there's documented cases of the other person doing the things mentioned before you take any active actions on your own, so that should things start happening later on or that person be the one to contact law enforcement there's evidence of them being the instigator, and other actions being a reaction to their own behaviour.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread flashlights today aren't the same as they were 20 years ago when you could at least semi-safely blast someone and they'd just be annoyed at it, flashlights today can go to eye-scorching levels and at one point or another someone might well suggest something which, should things go wrong, could lead to the guy being able to prove lasting or permanent damage. At that point the person responsible for that can't just go "oh but he was being loud", no-one gives a hoot about that and the one seen as a criminal would then be the one with the flashlight.

TL;DR It matters not what the police does, nor what the talk leads to, both are means to an end and the purpose of either is to make sure that peaceful solutions have been attempted beforehand and shown that they have been attempted, so that if and when poop goes down it can be shown that one party has attempted to solve it peacefully at first rather than going on a forum where there's posts for how to "take care" of the guy.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kind of letting him be his own downfall . These type don't understand if they keep it up laws will be passed . Like for instance as I said before I turn my moterized bike off before I come on the street. And peddled in and out
I use to cut engine, lights, and coast in neutral into home base wee hours morning. It's the polite thing to do Raggie. Plus, staying stealthy helped kept my bikes location away from thieves ears and eyes.
"Out of sight, out of mind"

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Complete waste of time. Obnoxious, genuine low-life individuals know when they're being obnoxious. And, they don't care. It's fun for them. This clearly isn't some reasonable individual who doesn't realize what he's doing every morning. Used to have a co-worker who constantly complained that politicians didn't give a crap about Joe & Jane Blow. The average hard-working public who got up early everyday to be packed like sardines onto buses and subway trains. Just trying to get by. Trying to eke out a living. Coming home exhausted. Again, packed tight like sardines. Trapped in tiny studio apartments. Hopefully not in neighborhoods that police refused to go to.

Before he got fired. He started bragging to everyone how much "FUN" it was to ride his Harley incredibly early through run-down neighborhoods. (The ones populated by Joe & Jane Blow.) Right around 2am. He'd rev. the engine, and open her up! Setting off every single car alarm in the neighborhood, waking everyone up; and thus contributing to their misery. Wasn't a one-time thing either. Did it on a regular basis. No one at work decided to waste their breath by talking to him about his most fun hobby. Well, fun for him. Everyone knew it would be a total waste of time trying to do so. And, this was a co-worker. Not some random stranger off the street.
That's exactly it. Those types get off on annoying other people. My own version of this was when I was shoveling snow outside one winter. There's a car parked right in front of my place which the owner apparently removed the snow from before I went outside to shovel. While I'm shoveling, he starts the car. I'm thinking at first, OK, he's using it now. Then it's idling for a while. OK, maybe he's warming it up. After 10 minutes of continuous idling where I was getting gassed out I politely asked him to please turn the car off if he doesn't intend to use it. I figure by now he either warmed it up, or had it running long enough to make sure it's working. Nope, the guy just looks at me like "how dare you ask me to stop". So a few minutes later I just stopped shoveling and went inside. I couldn't take the fumes any more. Keep in mind I have zero history with this person. In fact, this was the first time I even recall seeing him. Maybe he was visiting someone on the block. Anyway, he had the car idling for over an hour. It's stuff like this that makes me a big fan of electric cars.

A few hours later I finished shoveling. Now here's where it gets good. I came out that night at 3AM, and put back all the snow around his car which he removed earlier. I even put a little extra of the snow from my property there for good measure. The temps dropped that night, so it's likely some of this snow froze hard. Since few people are up at 3AM, I figured zero chance he saw me. I wanted to see his reaction when he went back to his car, but honestly I had better things to do than stare out the window all day. He didn't put two and two together or he might have rung my bell enraged at what I had done. In any case, since he didn't see it (I'm sure he would have come out to stop me while I was shoveling if he did), he had no proof or knowledge who did it. I heard some noise outside a day later. It was him chipping away what was now ice trying to get his car out. He didn't look too happy. The car was stuck there for the next week. After that, I never saw it, or him, again.

It's remotely possible he thought the snow plows did it. I'm on the right side of the street. When the plows come down, all the snow ends up on my side. Best to not shovel your car out until after the plows pass, or you'll likely have to do it again.

Moral of the story, be considerate of people or else.

My mother had an even better view of people like this and your coworker. When they act like jerks, hit them over the head. They still may not understand why they shouldn't act like jerks, but they'll know it hurts when they do (and stop).

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

raggie, do you think your 2-stroke motorbike is loud to other people?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Omg I hate blowers Tuesdays here for hours. At least the new landscapers weed eat first the last ones where idiots who the **** blows before they cut the grass and weedeats

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had someone blow leafs for almost 2 HOURS straight right in front of my window yesterday. Like good lord man, you gotta run out of leafs at some point! I have no idea what he was doing for so long. People please, just use a rake! Been good enough for centuries before there were leaf blowers, so its good enough for you. And good for your neighbors!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I hate leafs to sure there pretty in the fall for 9 minutes then there all over

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

The level of earnings does not matter, only the level of culture. I have a neighbor who drives a late-model land cruiser and also has a semi-sport car that he removed the muffler from and makes noise at night. It is useless to talk to him, he looks down on us, calls us poor people who cannot afford it and we are just jealous. His brother works for the police, so there is no help there either. Then we put a piece of cardboard on the hood of his Land Cruiser so as not to scratch the paint, we put a brick on the cardboard. He understood everything.

Latest posts