AA/14500 thrower?

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for what will be a weapon light of sorts. I will end up mounting it on one of my rifles and using it for varmints (coons, yotes, opossums, maybe fox), most of which are shot off my back porch, but I do coyote hunt at night from time to time. I currently have a Streamlight TL2 mounted to my AR. It was good in its day, but I don't like having to drop $10 in batteries (CR123A) every time I want to take it out.

I've got a Quark AA for EDC that I use 14500 cells in. I have a 2 AA body for it as well, and I've thought about buying a turbo head for it for $50. I'm confident that the Quark turbo head would do the job well, but I'm wondering if I can find a better option in a dedicated light for the same or less $$.

As a reference, I have a Streamlight ultra stinger that has the CREE 3 mode LED conversion. It's rated at 300 lum. I'll normally set the light on the rail of my porch, which also serves as my rifle rest. I can very distinguish targets 100+ yards away even with my optics cranked up, so I'm using 300 lum as a make shift bench mark.

One of the lights I've noticed so far has been the Crelant V11A, but I haven't found a lot of useful information for it.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark Turbo head does throw very well, I believe still the highest throw numbers in the 2xAA class that Selfbuilt has tested, but I would personally go with a dual spring dedicated firearm light if you want to mount it to your rifle. I think recoil will turn batteries in hammer pistons otherwise.

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened
I can understand that. Springs on both ends would be better, but I'm not terribly worried about the recoil. My varmint loads are 50gr Vmax running at 3800 fps, but the rifle weighs over 10 pounds. There is very little discernible recoil. It blows my mind that manufacturers want to charge an extra $50+ just for having a second $0.10 spring in there. If it were for a defensive use, I would begrudgingly spend the extra money, and curse them daily for it. For a dozen or so shots a year with such a light recoil, I refuse to line their pockets. I'm just not that into THEIR toys. I'd rather spend my money on my own toys. Toys that poke holes in things real close together from a very long way away ;)

herosemblem

Enlightened
I have the Crelant V11A. It is absolutely a flooder and not a thrower. The UI is also pretty annoying. Every press of the button switches from L-M-H, with memory. It's just more suited for EDC than for any type of tactical use.

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
Dereelight Javelin 2xAA, 3xAA or with a C2H body and AA extender you can run 1x14500

Fenix E21 or E25 with xp-e, 2xAA

Eagletac T100A2

Switch to 1x18650 Li-ion rechargebles and find a light with a small emitter, xp-e2 or xp-g2 and the largest diameter reflector you can tolerate.

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened
I have the Crelant V11A. It is absolutely a flooder and not a thrower. The UI is also pretty annoying. Every press of the button switches from L-M-H, with memory. It's just more suited for EDC than for any type of tactical use.

THANKS!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for what will be a weapon light of sorts. I will end up mounting it on one of my rifles and using it for varmints (coons, yotes, opossums, maybe fox), most of which are shot off my back porch, but I do coyote hunt at night from time to time. I currently have a Streamlight TL2 mounted to my AR. It was good in its day, but I don't like having to drop $10 in batteries (CR123A) every time I want to take it out.

I've got a Quark AA for EDC that I use 14500 cells in. I have a 2 AA body for it as well, and I've thought about buying a turbo head for it for $50. I'm confident that the Quark turbo head would do the job well, but I'm wondering if I can find a better option in a dedicated light for the same or less $$.

As a reference, I have a Streamlight ultra stinger that has the CREE 3 mode LED conversion. It's rated at 300 lum. I'll normally set the light on the rail of my porch, which also serves as my rifle rest. I can very distinguish targets 100+ yards away even with my optics cranked up, so I'm using 300 lum as a make shift bench mark.

One of the lights I've noticed so far has been the Crelant V11A, but I haven't found a lot of useful information for it.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

You know, since you got the AA tube and the AA2 Tube, you might as well get a Quark Turbo head. This way, when you need to use 14500, you can use it with the AA tube, when you run out of 14500's, use regular AA's in the 2AA tube, and your light will have constant output throughout.

I got a Turbo AA2 light on a sweet rebranding clearance sale, you might still find some on the web. 30+ bucks, the complete light w/ box and manual. Sweeet!
smile.gif

Last edited:

edpmis02

Enlightened
I run a Quark Turbo (low voltage head) with a 14500 with a single AA battery tube. Makes a very compact and versatile pocket light. I have seen Quark Turbos (entire light) go for about $40. I got two during the rebranding sale last summer.

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys! How do I go about looking for one of these "rebranding" deals? For $30~$40, I'd just go a head and buy one.

After searching out several sites/mfgs, I've come to the conclusing that my next best option would be to get some kind of P60 clone like the Javalin. Makes me wish I'd spent a little more money back in the day and bought a couple of P60 lights instead of Scorpions and TL-2 incondescents. I still can't believe that nobody is making an LED emmitter to fit those old lights. There has to be tons of them out there.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goinggear had some. I think i got the 2 last turbo aa's some months ago. Both are modded with neutral xp-g2 now :)