Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I get lower bounce with light meter readings when I compare the KT1/2 with the KT4, same MN bulb, the KT4 showing lower lux numbers because of its deep set reflector. Actually what you are really losing is spill, the huge center spot still comes through. I also notice lower bounce lux readings using a Malkoff M61 in the MD2, with its smaller bezel opening, compared to a SF P6 size bezel opening, both using glass windows.

Bill

Mihakinen

Newly Enlightened
A big thank you for providing the Preon 1 and iTP A3 lumens with Li-ion cells, I was always wondering how much light I get from these two. As a side-note I'd like to add that I've been operating these two lights with 10440 for some time now, everyday usage limited to 3mins on high. Haven't noticed any changes in tint and although they get pretty hot, holding them tightly helps with the dissipation.

Keeping the heat issue in mind, I'd like to ask if you re-did those tests with the same used batteries after letting the lights cool down. Did you get the same drop in output per minute as before? I'd like to know if this drop is because of the heat build-up or because of the battery discharging so if you can, please post any findings on that matter.

Thanks again.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
A big thank you for providing the Preon 1 and iTP A3 lumens with Li-ion cells, I was always wondering how much light I get from these two. As a side-note I'd like to add that I've been operating these two lights with 10440 for some time now, everyday usage limited to 3mins on high. Haven't noticed any changes in tint and although they get pretty hot, holding them tightly helps with the dissipation.

Keeping the heat issue in mind, I'd like to ask if you re-did those tests with the same used batteries after letting the lights cool down. Did you get the same drop in output per minute as before? I'd like to know if this drop is because of the heat build-up or because of the battery discharging so if you can, please post any findings on that matter.

Thanks again.

The iTP A3 is out of my hands now. Just check the current when the cell is topped off. Then re-check it 3 or 4 minutes later. Ideally; the current will be higher to make up for the less voltage input, but I bet this will not be the case.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Lumapower VX from DaBerti.

The Lumapower VX with SST-50 is advertised as 500 lumens and has an ST-03 Turbo bezel, which is how I tested both lumens and lux.

Here are my results: Thank you Dan for sending the light for testing.

Lumapower.png
http://www.lumapower.com/

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Ooops... now it's clear for me that the vx ultra is clearly beaten by thrunite's 1.5a drop in. Glad didn't pull the trigger on that light before. :sick2:.

Last edited:

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Ooops... now it's clear for me that the vx ultra is clearly beaten by thrunite's 1.5a drop in. Glad didn't pull the trigger on that light before. :sick2:.

I guess you're making some mess :whistle:
D-Mini VX Ultra SST-50 is way more hardly driven than the Signature VX SST-50 (the flashlight I sent to BigC). There is no way the drop-in you mention could even approach the lm figures of D-Mini VX Ultra SST-50 ;)

@BigC: whilst waiting for lower levels outputs, and for the scores with the other head as well, what do you think about the tint of the Signature SSC-50?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
D-Mini VX Ultra SST-50 is way more hardly driven than the Signature VX SST-50 (the flashlight I sent to BigC). There is no way the drop-in you mention could even approach the lm figures of D-Mini VX Ultra SST-50 ;)

@BigC: whilst waiting for lower levels outputs, and for the scores with the other head as well, what do you think about the tint of the Signature SSC-50?

The tint on the SST-50 is on the white/green side. I did put the small bezel on it to test, but the OTF results were nearly identical. I will take the low levels tonight.

I wish it was driven harder say 2.5A at least, then for less fun it has the low modes.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
The tint on the SST-50 is on the white/green side.
I wish it was driven harder say 2.5A at least, then for less fun it has the low modes.

Tint: same thought of mine.
2.5A: it would have been feasible with turbohead, yet plain unfeasible with the normal one (read: thermal problems). Beyond this, Ricky wanted this flashlight to endorse the widst possible range of cells: >2A means roughly you can use 18650 and 2xIMR 16340. And this for an EDC would not be acceptable.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tint: same thought of mine.
2.5A: it would have been feasible with turbohead, yet plain unfeasible with the normal one (read: thermal problems). Beyond this, Ricky wanted this flashlight to endorse the widst possible range of cells: >2A means roughly you can use 18650 and 2xIMR 16340. And this for an EDC would not be acceptable.

Oh, I see. I had not thought of that before. Yes, for 2 primaries or 2 CR123 protected AW cells you would benefit from the low current. Also, the beam is really nice with the turbo head, and plenty floody with the small bezel.

don.gwapo

Enlightened

Ooops... my bad. I thought that was the D-mini. :D.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally finished all the tests on the Lumapower SST-50 light.

Here it goes: Please note that the lumens stay a bit higher with the smaller bezel vs. the Turbo bezel.:thinking:

Lumapower-1.png

member 6142

Newly Enlightened

Here it goes: Please note that the lumens stay a bit higher with the smaller bezel vs. the Turbo bezel.:thinking:

Quite the hell of a darn good job. Enough to make me prepare a gift for you, More later....

Probably smaller bezel screws a little deeper than TH.

EDIT:
now it is later ;)
I'd like to make a donation to BigC if he agrees. I really appreciate his work and I guess it takes time and money as well.
For Admins: that's why I post my offer here and not in B/S/T section, if you find it inappropriate, please move my post accordingly. Thanks.

So, everyone has read about his Lumapower Signature VX SST-50 test. Flashlight is brand new and comes with both heads, also this has been said.

I'll repeat: if BigC says "ok lets go on" I'll put this flashlight on sale at 110USD. I'll eat PP fees and shipment costs. 40USD will be donated to BigC.

BigC, I'm waiting for your words :)

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good to me:D

Now, should I send this back to you or wait for someone to purchase it and send it to them with the new box and assesories.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good to me:D

Now, should I send this back to you or wait for someone to purchase it and send it to them with the new box and accessories.

@BigC
Just wait for someone to purchase and send it to him/her.
For sake of transparency I'm readily available to payments made to your own PP account.

@ everyone
BigC said ok.
So, folks don't miss the option of getting a very good flashlight with both flood head and turbohead at a very good price and tested by BigC; and to help him keeping on :thumbsup:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow! thats awesome ^^^^

what a kool idea- next time people have a custom light
to sell they should have it tested and then give a % to BIG C.

kinda like a BIG C certified lights thing...

also,

Im saving for a warm R3 linger special and

will send it in for testing if you havent tested one in warm yet.

gotta get paid first ;)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow! thats awesome ^^^^

what a kool idea- next time people have a custom light
to sell they should have it tested and then give a % to BIG C.

kinda like a BIG C certified lights thing...

also,

Im saving for a warm R3 linger special and

will send it in for testing if you havent tested one in warm yet.

gotta get paid first ;)

If it is the XP-E R3 you are talking about I tested the single XP-E R3 and it does right around 200 OTF, but when pushed hard like 1.8A hard it does 260 OTF. I think you 2 of them will likely hit 400 OTF, but if you had the XP-G R4 model then 500 OTF might happen more easily.

bigC

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
the new warm/neutral XP-G (I thinks its R3) one!!

Im hoping its close to 500 w AS-5.

its gonna be the perfect trail flood light for my bike and
area light for digging. I dont have any warm lights yet
but they seem like they'll be better in the woods-
I hope..

JB

Enlightened

Lumapower-1.png

Thanks for this test bigC and also to daberti for providing the light.

bigC, have you tested it's cousin: the Lumapower D-mini VX Ultra? Curious how that compares in brightness since people say that it is driven harder than the Signature SST-50.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really wanted the D-mini Ultra too, but I don't know the drive current at the LED or any specs on it. I can see 500 OTF if it is driven at 2.8A.:popcorn: